Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Return to USA with expired passport  (Read 1196 times)

• Liked: 674
Return to USA with expired passport
« on: May 25, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »
Received this in an email from the USGovmt today, in case it is of use to anyone:

Message to U.S. Citizens:  U.S. Embassy London (May 25, 2021)

Event:  U.S. citizens may directly return to the United States with certain expired U.S. passports.

If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.

You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:

You are a U.S. citizen.

You are a U.S. citizen.
     You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
     You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
     Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years.  Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
     Your expired passport is undamaged.
     Your expired passport is unaltered.
     Your expired passport is in your possession.

You do not qualify for this exception if:

You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
    You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
    Your expired passport was limited in validity.
    Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
    Your expired passport is damaged.
    Your expired passport is altered.
    Your expired passport is not in your possession.

Please be advised that currently, routine passport processing in the United States can take 10-12 weeks.  If you need a passport in less than 10-12 weeks due to international travel plans, you can pay an additional $60 fee to expedite your passport, which will shorten the processing time to 4-6 weeks.

If your U.S. passport expired on or before December 31, 2019, please see our website for information on how to renew your passport before traveling.

Actions to Take: 

All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
    Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the United Kingdom.
    Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
    Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19.
    For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
    Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
    Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
    Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy London, United Kingdom
33 Nine Elms Lane
London, UK SW11 7US
+44 (0) 207-499-9000
from U.S.: 011 44 207-499-9000
SCSLondon@state.gov
https://uk.usembassy.gov/

U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
Edinburgh-info@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100
acsbelfast@state.gov

State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
United Kingdom Country Information

• Liked: 1
Re: Return to USA with expired passport
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:39:19 PM »
This is very useful, thank you Nan...I just discovered that my kids passport expired 2 months ago.
Will renew in the US as soon as we get there, hopefully in two weeks.
Matteo

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 08:46:22 AM »
Hi, Mattel did you renew your children’s passports when you were in the USA and fly them out on their expired US passports? How did you book appointments - I can’t seem to find out how to do this. Thanks!
Married to USC in UK Jan 2004
USC issued Entry Clearance in NY Feb 2004
Dual Citizen Daughter born April 2004
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010
Online Application to return to UK 22 Jun 2010
Biometrics done 25 Jun 2012
Mailed out - 27 June 2012 (UPS Overnight-Priority))
Email to confirm package arrived in NY and is being processed - 28 June 2012
Email to say the UK visa has been issued (Wow!!) 29th June
Living in MCR, UK (8 years) - myself British Citizen, husband US with ILR and two dual citizen children

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »
Has anyone returned to US with e pored passports and managed to renew them over there or fly back in valid UK passports?
Married to USC in UK Jan 2004
USC issued Entry Clearance in NY Feb 2004
Dual Citizen Daughter born April 2004
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010
Online Application to return to UK 22 Jun 2010
Biometrics done 25 Jun 2012
Mailed out - 27 June 2012 (UPS Overnight-Priority))
Email to confirm package arrived in NY and is being processed - 28 June 2012
Email to say the UK visa has been issued (Wow!!) 29th June
Living in MCR, UK (8 years) - myself British Citizen, husband US with ILR and two dual citizen children

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 05:30:01 AM »
You book an appointment via UPS, but it takes some days before you find a slot and then they give you up to 6 weeks before you receive the new passport, if you opt for the (expensive) expedite option. So in the end we decided not to renew the expired passports, as we were leaving 5 weeks after a potential appointment. I researched the issue and it seems fine to travel back with an UK/EU passport, although in theory you should not do that. Apparently, they can't force you to remain in the USA and they do not fine you for that. My wife also called the border police at San Francisco airport and was told they do not mind. I have to say the whole thing make me nervous. We are flying back on Friday, so I should be able to report back early next week. Fingers crossed it will work just fine.
Good luck,
Matteo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »
Dear all,
I just wanted to confirm that there was no issue returning to the UK with a (UK) passport different from the (expired US) one we enter the USA a month ago. Neither British Airways nor the border control at San Francisco Airport questioned this.
Good luck,
Matteo

• Liked: 718
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 09:46:48 PM »
Dear all,
I just wanted to confirm that there was no issue returning to the UK with a (UK) passport different from the (expired US) one we enter the USA a month ago. Neither British Airways nor the border control at San Francisco Airport questioned this.
Good luck,
Matteo

Thanks for this update.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab