Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Greencard - What to do when not living in the US anymore  (Read 1259 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello,

Does anyone know what needs to be done when you have an US greencard but no longer live in the US? I moved to the UK a few years ago, and I initially did the 2 year extension for living abroad but that time has long gone, and I haven't yet done anything else... If there is a good resource I can look to or if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you

• Liked: 6110
Re: US Greencard - What to do when not living in the US anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone know what needs to be done when you have an US greencard but no longer live in the US? I moved to the UK a few years ago, and I initially did the 2 year extension for living abroad but that time has long gone, and I haven't yet done anything else... If there is a good resource I can look to or if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you

Until you abandon your green card officially you are still on the hook for US taxes so you should file I-407 through the Embassy.
https://nl.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/abandoning-green-card/
It has already expired for immigration purposes.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »
Thank you so much for the information. I've looked into it and glad to see it seems simple enough to complete a form in order to let go of the greencard.

But before I do that, I was wondering if anyone had experience of keeping the greencard due to some attachment to the US despite not living there anymore.  I still have a flat in the U.S. which I'm renting out - so I'm wondering if I can keep the greencard on that basis or if I should just give it up. My husband also got US citizenship before we left - so not sure if that helps for me to keep the greencard even though I don't live there anymore.

Thank you!

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 06:49:08 PM »
Thank you so much for the information. I've looked into it and glad to see it seems simple enough to complete a form in order to let go of the greencard.

But before I do that, I was wondering if anyone had experience of keeping the greencard due to some attachment to the US despite not living there anymore.  I still have a flat in the U.S. which I'm renting out - so I'm wondering if I can keep the greencard on that basis or if I should just give it up. My husband also got US citizenship before we left - so not sure if that helps for me to keep the greencard even though I don't live there anymore.

Thank you!

Depending on how much your net worth is abandoning the green card should not be an issue. I'm not sure I understand your question. Depending on your circumstances keeping the Greencard should generally not be a tax issue but would be a compliance issue (seems like you will have both with the rented flat). Happy to discuss in more detail if you want to call our company on 0161 408 5613 - Adam

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 07:22:19 PM »
Depending on how much your net worth is abandoning the green card should not be an issue. I'm not sure I understand your question. Depending on your circumstances keeping the Greencard should generally not be a tax issue but would be a compliance issue (seems like you will have both with the rented flat). Happy to discuss in more detail if you want to call our company on 0161 408 5613 - Adam

Friendly reminder that this is a forum where we share knowledge for free. 

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:44:03 AM »
Friendly reminder that this is a forum where we share knowledge for free.

I have no issue in sharing knowledge for free. But I like to know the full picture before "sharing knowledge". I will not charge for the time spent on the call.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 03:08:18 AM »
I recommend you don't give up the green card. It allows you to work in the US - you never know when that could be useful. I held on to mine for 10 years when I lived in England but I visited the states several times a year. Now I'm back in the States again. I think without a green card you can only visit for 90 days?

Cheers

A

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab