Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel to USA from UK (May 2021). ESTA? Sick relatives.  (Read 816 times)

• Liked: 8
Travel to USA from UK (May 2021). ESTA? Sick relatives.
« on: May 31, 2021, 05:09:08 PM »
My (UKC) mother in law is currently ill following a recent bout of Covid.  Whilst being hospitalised for this the US doctors completed some scans which shows she has a brain tumor.  My wife (USC) may need to fly out to go stay with her mother for the time being as there is a lot of uncertainty at the moment.

I wish to go to the US to support my wife and understand that this is currently allowed.  However, due to the current uncertainty around the situation it's difficult to put a return date for a flight back to the UK.  I understand as part of the ESTA requirements, I'm required to book a return ticket and that the longest time this can be is 90 days from arrival in the US.

Is there anything I can do that would mean I wouldn't have to book a return ticket?  I would hate to either not be able to travel to the US or to return back to the UK without my wife at a time like this.  I want to support her and the family as best I can.  This is so frustrating.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Travel to USA from UK (May 2021). ESTA? Sick relatives.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »
Book a return date but change it if needed.  We’ve had to do this for numerous reasons...  too many to list!

What I would recommend is booking for the LATEST you think you’ll return home.  Though it won’t really matter so long as it’s not over 90 days. I suspect you’ll be limited by your work unless you are retired?  You won’t be able to work (I know you know that but just adding).

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 07:42:10 PM »
Book a return date but change it if needed.  We’ve had to do this for numerous reasons...  too many to list!

What I would recommend is booking for the LATEST you think you’ll return home.  Though it won’t really matter so long as it’s not over 90 days. I suspect you’ll be limited by your work unless you are retired?  You won’t be able to work (I know you know that but just adding).

Yes, work will be an issue.  I have some annual leave built up, about a month, but after that it will be a problem.
Thank you for advising about booking a return date and then changing it if needed.  This won't effect future travel to the US so long as it's within 90 days, right?

Also, is it possible to stay within the US for 90 days, return to the UK for say, a week, and then return to the US for another 90 days?  I'm not sure if there is a cooling off period or anything but I want to make sure I have all options covered in case things take a turn for the worst.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 10:42:04 PM »
It’s always a good “rule of thumb” to spend as much time away as you did IN before returning. But in the event of a death (god forbid), I’m sure some documentation would quiet any concerns that could potentially be flagged.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
Thank you for your advice. Thankfully health wise things seemed to have taken a turn for the better today with some good news.

Such a relief that she is going to to be OK.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »
Fantastic news - long my it last!

Sponsored Links