Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I've been sitting here for four hours and losing hope  (Read 1077 times)

• Liked: 5
I've been sitting here for four hours and losing hope
« on: June 14, 2021, 11:15:17 PM »
I'm trying to fill in my tax return and I'm very confused. I have a straightforward, one-employer income well below $107,600! This used to be pretty easy, but this year I'm totally confused. I don't know what to do. I didn't even know I had to file by 15th June, I thought it was in October, so that means everything I've filed since I did streamlined compliance in 2016 has been late. I received the third stimulus cheque, but a paper one, that's been a nightmare to try to deal with in itself (so far can't find anyone to cash it) and now I don't know what to do about 'Line 30' to get the first two -- and I have no US bank account for them to send it to, so if they cut me another check, it will join this one pinned to the corkboard with a big question mark over it.

I'm confused ready to cry.

Please help?

??? ??? :\\\'(

I've saved the form I filled in at Turbo Tax, is there anyone who could cast an eye and confirm I've got everything right? I know it's asking a lot.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:01:41 AM by Eowyn »
Work permit (which I guess now would be called a Tier 2 Visa for Skilled Migrant Workers -- and might have been called that then, I don't remember) 2002. ILR 2004. UK citizenship 2007.

• Liked: 676
Re: I've been sitting here for four hours and losing hope
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 01:51:40 AM »
Your bank should be able to accept the check and cash it for you. If you do not have a bank account, perhaps you might need to open one using the check as the initial deposit?

• Liked: 55
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »
you can file for the automatic extension but you need to do it today - E-file is available for free.

e-file form 4868 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy yourself the time and make sure you get it right.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 09:44:11 AM »
In terms of a bank account - consider using Wise (used to be called TransferWise) - this at least gives you the ability to receive funds directly from the IRS into a US$ bank account and making a transfer to a UK £ account easy - at a time and exchange rate to suit you. There are no restrictions on opening the account here in the UK.

For the paper checks you have - we have deposited with our HSBC account and that has been not problem - you'll need an account though.

Moving forward, consider using e-filing (I use Tax Act) linked to an account such as Wise - depending on your level of income, you may even qualify for free-file (needs to be less than $72,000. https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »
I've got a TransferWise account (set up day before yesterday) and I'm nearly done, I just need to know what to write in Line 30. I didn't receive the first and second stimulus checks. Do I write 0 or do I write 1800 in line 30, in order to get the first and second stimulus checks paid into my TransferWise account?

I believe I am correct that if this is postmarked today, it won't be late. Is this right?
Work permit (which I guess now would be called a Tier 2 Visa for Skilled Migrant Workers -- and might have been called that then, I don't remember) 2002. ILR 2004. UK citizenship 2007.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:50:11 AM »
you definitely write $1,800 on line 30 if you didn't receive stimulus 1 & 2 (and were entitled of course ;D)

yes postmarked today - but get proof of postage and don't leave it til the end of the day (I made that mistake last year!). Late filing is only an issue for you if you owe tax (which you don't) in which case interest and penalties kick in.

I would say that e-filing is so much quicker and does allow you to track your refund on line and see it's progress - typically 10 days is normal.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:06:31 AM by Smitch »

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 12:21:42 PM »
I will efile next year, and it won't be in the final hour -- which I didn't realise I was in, because I thought we automatically got an extension until 15 Oct, but I will be more aware next year! :)

I will get this in the mail within the next couple of hours.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
I'VE DONE IT!

Posted, done, receipt and copy kept, my shiny new TransferWise (now Wise) routing and account numbers there for my line 30 credit. :)

Thank you for all your help.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »
In case of interest, Halifax took the cheque from the US Treasury and it was cashed in just a couple of business days. Painless! (Except for having to visit a branch and wait while the cashier filled in a form, but hey, quids in!)

Sponsored Links