Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Husband is behind on tax returns - how to fix!?  (Read 1019 times)

• Liked: 3
Husband is behind on tax returns - how to fix!?
« on: June 24, 2021, 10:24:44 PM »
Hi all

My husband has been resident in the UK since 2018, hasn’t worked in the US since 2017, and hasn’t filed US tax returns since 2017.

We’re pretty confident that he doesn’t actually owe any tax, and because it was complicated by his moving to the UK my husband kept putting off filing.... and now we’re here.

I guess my questions are: can we semi easily get him up to date? What will the penalties be for the late filings?

We also weren’t sure if he needs to tell them about my income - we can see that the tax form asks for my social security number (which I don’t have) even though I’m a non resident alien?

Any tips greatly appreciated...!

• Liked: 674

• Liked: 3
Re: Husband is behind on tax returns - how to fix!?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:01 AM »
This article may have information you might find useful.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/2021/06/16/missed-the-tax-filing-deadline-as-an-american-abroad-try-this-penalty-free-program/?sh=6129a11a19ae

Thanks - is there any reason to do the streamlined procedure if he doesn’t owe any tax? Also what makes it ‘streamlined’ as opposed to just filing for each year using tax software? Sorry if these are silly questions!

• Liked: 55
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 09:31:28 AM »
Use a good tax software and create the returns that are past due - this will tell you if any tax is due - if none is due, then go ahead and file - will have to be paper return though. My understanding there will be no penalties as no tax is due.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 10:49:36 AM »
Use a good tax software and create the returns that are past due - this will tell you if any tax is due - if none is due, then go ahead and file - will have to be paper return though. My understanding there will be no penalties as no tax is due.

Good advice.

Well worth checking rather than "believing" you owe no taxes.  For example if you are filing "Married Filing Separately" to keep the non-US spouse off the tax return then if the USC has only $5 of income they must file a return even if no tax is owed or risk paying a penalty.

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/minimum-filing-requirements.html

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 06:35:10 PM »
Good advice.

Well worth checking rather than "believing" you owe no taxes.  For example if you are filing "Married Filing Separately" to keep the non-US spouse off the tax return then if the USC has only $5 of income they must file a return even if no tax is owed or risk paying a penalty.

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/minimum-filing-requirements.html [nofollow]

There would be no penalty if the only filing requirement is of the tax return (no FBAR, FATCA, ETC) as penalties are based on the tax.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab