Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is there a registry somewhere of US-UK tax and financial advisers?  (Read 4360 times)

• Liked: 0
I am a dual (or will be when I have my UK citizenship ceremony after many years of delays next week), and have lived out of US most of my life.  I have a complicated family (including an elderly dual parent who I am now caring for in person yikes) and am ending up practically living in both countries right now. So I have two sets of financial and tax complications. I have kept my own life simple so did my own taxes up to now but those days are over!  TIA

• Liked: 718
Re: Is there a registry somewhere of US-UK tax and financial advisers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
No registry that I am aware of but here is a thread with a list of dual qualified advisors and companies

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=97064.0
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:53:19 PM »
Thanks Durhamlad!  I have tried or at least contacted  a couple not on there, they are more financial advisers but maybe I should add them to that thread, do you think? I don’t know, I don’t know why I posted in repatriation either, it was sort of a mistake! But my concerns aren’t all about taxes and money, though that is looming largest in my mind.

How do you tell if they are really dual qualified, what sort of credentials should one be looking for?

There is a lot of emotional energy behind this because my mom has been so badly affected by the pandemic health wise, that I have “ridden to the rescue”. But I can’t fix her really, it’s due to aging, and now I’m wondering if I should change my whole life to care for her permanently or ....what?  It would save a ton of cash to move back home to my state and work remotely which just worked for 3 months while I took her to hospital appointments. She has no one else and is not really able to organize things for herself anymore.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 07:14:41 PM »
Please do add any advisors to that thread. I have it bookmarked.  :)

The list I put up is purely tax preparers.  I have always done my own research into financial investments and have never used a financial advisor. Being a USC living in England I have only interest bearing savings in England and keep all our other investments in the USA, being sure that the ones outside retirement accounts are in HMRC Reporting funds.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »
I use Tanager Wealth Management.  While I do my own taxes, I know they can recommend dual qualified tax advisors, it’s worth ringing them on Monday.

I’ve been happy with Tanager.  While more expensive than locals, they will actually work with me after FATCA.  They are currently speaking with my parents IFA in the USA for a “plan” for when “the time comes”.  Gives all of us a lot of comfort knowing we are in a tax favourable position for one another.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »
Thanks I’ll  look at them too. Do they manage investments? Or is it mainly planning.

It’s hard enough when the family is inside the same border, I guess. I’m wondering if there is any advantage at all to being expatriate when one is not on a proper jet setter income. Even with a huge income, the fees for care homes are impoverishing and there’s no guarantee they won’t just kick the person out if they become too much trouble to care for.

Then you get into the denial, or really inability to see, that there is any need for any help....

Will I do this to my kids too, heh heh!  There won’t be much inheritance for them to bicker over that’s for sure!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 08:46:48 PM »
Thanks I’ll  look at them too. Do they manage investments? Or is it mainly planning.

It’s hard enough when the family is inside the same border, I guess. I’m wondering if there is any advantage at all to being expatriate when one is not on a proper jet setter income. Even with a huge income, the fees for care homes are impoverishing and there’s no guarantee they won’t just kick the person out if they become too much trouble to care for.

Then you get into the denial, or really inability to see, that there is any need for any help....

Will I do this to my kids too, heh heh!  There won’t be much inheritance for them to bicker over that’s for sure!

They do it all.

I didn’t think they would work with me as I’m “a normal” but they absolutely do.  If nothing else they’ll point you towards accountants. 

Thankfully my parents took out an all singing, all dancing, long term care insurance policy long ago (dementia is STRONG on my moms side).

Sponsored Links