Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Covid D variant  (Read 4645 times)

• Liked: 716
Re: Covid D variant
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »
Yes my aunt is a nurse in a hospital and she is part of this blood testing. Antibodies still strong over a year after infection. Yes she tried to tell me how they know the difference but my head got a little bit blown. Something to do with different type of 'memory cells' or something  [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

The body is amazing. Even after Covid antibodies fade away the “recipe” for making them is stored in these memory cells and then new antibodies are created in the bone marrow to fight any new infection.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2021, 09:28:28 AM »
The body is amazing. Even after Covid antibodies fade away the “recipe” for making them is stored in these memory cells and then new antibodies are created in the bone marrow to fight any new infection.

Seems like we’ve settled into a steady 30k infections and 120 deaths a day, this is the new normal……

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »
Seems like we’ve settled into a steady 30k infections and 120 deaths a day, this is the new normal……

Yes, that seems to be the pattern for the past 3 months.  If it stays at this level for a full year (hopefully no worse) then there will be about one and half times more deaths per year than from flu and pneumonia in England and Wales in recent years.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/influenzadeathsin20182019and2020

Influenza and Pneumonia
Country                     2018   2019
Total mortality   29,516   26,398
England                   27,142   24,400
Wales                   2,309   1,942
England & Wales   29,451   26,342

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2021, 08:48:58 AM »
Yesterday we had a long phone call with one of the doctors running the mixed vaccine trial my wife and I have been on.  We are going to give our final blood sample on November 9th and at that visit we will also be given a Pfizer jab. This is because our 2nd vaccine turned out to be Novavax which is not yet authorized and recognized for international travel. Immune response among our cohort of AZ-Novavax has been slightly better than among the AZ-AZ folks so no worries about effectiveness. This will effectively be our booster jab.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2021, 12:27:04 PM »
Glad to hear that you're being taken care of so diligently.  :)

Also, how is Jeffrey doing?  Was thinking about him the other day, and hoping he's continuing to be well.

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2021, 01:40:01 PM »
Glad to hear that you're being taken care of so diligently.  :)

Also, how is Jeffrey doing?  Was thinking about him the other day, and hoping he's continuing to be well.

Thank you.  The communication and care from the trial team has been outstanding plus we have had a couple of emails as a group from Professor Van-Tam thanking us for our participation and assuring us that he is determined to ensure we are not disadvantaged by having the NHS Covid pass, domestic and international, recognize our vaccinations.  The domestic pass did not work for some weeks but this last month it now shows up as fully vaccinated and with a QR code that can be used if needed for entrance to events.  The international Covid pass still only shows 1 of 2 vaccine doses received which is why they have unblinded the trial and are offering all us that had Novavax (350 in total in our trial) the option to have another approved vaccine that will then satisfy international travel requirements.  Those that had Pfizer or Moderna as a 2nd vaccine will have their NHS records updated accordingly which will then enable the international pass.

Our son continues to do absolutely great, with no long term effects of Covid at all.  He is loving his new job, which he started early February just 2 months before he went down with Covid.  We have never seen him so positive about everything, like he has been since getting out of hospital. He has cracked on with big house improvements, organizing multiple contractors (8 different contractors like I know of).  He is normally a huge procrastinator. 

On the other hand my sister, who also lives very close by, had Covid over Christmas and is now diagnosed with Long Covid.  She still gets tendonitis-like pain in some joints and suffers from the Covid "brain fog" that long term sufferers get.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »

Thank you.  The communication and care from the trial team has been outstanding plus we have had a couple of emails as a group from Professor Van-Tam thanking us for our participation and assuring us that he is determined to ensure we are not disadvantaged by having the NHS Covid pass, domestic and international, recognize our vaccinations.  The domestic pass did not work for some weeks but this last month it now shows up as fully vaccinated and with a QR code that can be used if needed for entrance to events.  The international Covid pass still only shows 1 of 2 vaccine doses received which is why they have unblinded the trial and are offering all us that had Novavax (350 in total in our trial) the option to have another approved vaccine that will then satisfy international travel requirements.  Those that had Pfizer or Moderna as a 2nd vaccine will have their NHS records updated accordingly which will then enable the international pass.

Our son continues to do absolutely great, with no long term effects of Covid at all.  He is loving his new job, which he started early February just 2 months before he went down with Covid.  We have never seen him so positive about everything, like he has been since getting out of hospital. He has cracked on with big house improvements, organizing multiple contractors (8 different contractors like I know of).  He is normally a huge procrastinator. 

On the other hand my sister, who also lives very close by, had Covid over Christmas and is now diagnosed with Long Covid.  She still gets tendonitis-like pain in some joints and suffers from the Covid "brain fog" that long term sufferers get.

I'm sorry your sister is still suffering. Because there's so much overlap with EDS and ME, much of my twitter feed is also long covid. They're seeing it cause mast cell degranulation and the associated connective tissue damage, and the post exertional malaise seen with ME. If your sister is able to try it, an H1 and H2 blocker may help some symptoms. (I use fexofenadine and famotidine, both OTC in the US but prescription here.)

I'm still upset they haven't made any attempt at slowing transmission. They've intentionally caused deaths and long term disability by excluding long covid from their models. And that includes children. :(

I have to check in with my immunologist for boosters. I would much prefer the Pfizer booster, but I'm allergic to PEG. I think it'll probably be OK with medication. But the AZ made me sick for months, and now I'm being investigated for neuro degenerative conditions and brain tumours (the "urgent" referral took 8 weeks so I see neurology in November.) I learned this week that the cannabis oil I'm on has been holding a ton of symptoms at bay, I tried changing to a less expensive one and ended up with daily migraines and then severe balance issues with the nerves in my spine on fire. So I'm really grateful my husband has been supportive of me, but I need to find a low stress digital part time job so I can keep affording the £250/mo.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
Our son continues to do absolutely great, with no long term effects of Covid at all.  He is loving his new job, which he started early February just 2 months before he went down with Covid.  We have never seen him so positive about everything, like he has been since getting out of hospital. He has cracked on with big house improvements, organizing multiple contractors (8 different contractors like I know of).

Very glad to hear, what a great recovery!

Oh no, I can DEFINITELY sympathize.  Is she finding good help for Long Covid?  It seems to be a bit of a hit or miss situation with the various clinics. 

I'm sorry your sister is still suffering. Because there's so much overlap with EDS and ME, much of my twitter feed is also long covid. They're seeing it cause mast cell degranulation and the associated connective tissue damage, and the post exertional malaise seen with ME. If your sister is able to try it, an H1 and H2 blocker may help some symptoms. (I use fexofenadine and famotidine, both OTC in the US but prescription here.)

Interestingly enough, I've been started on fexofenadine.

I sincerely hope that long Covid will force open doors for others who have been suffering in parallel with similar conditions (ME is one that comes to mind...).   

I'm still upset they haven't made any attempt at slowing transmission. They've intentionally caused deaths and long term disability by excluding long covid from their models. And that includes children. :(

My manager was telling me about an article he read where an economics team suggested that avoiding an early harsh lockdown was actually more detrimental to the economy.  Long Covid was specifically cited as a contributing factor.  Any economic gain from lighter lockdowns or delayed lockdowns was thought to be cancelled out by the numbers of people who will now be disabled in the long term.  :( 

...now I'm being investigated for neuro degenerative conditions and brain tumours...

I'm so sorry to hear.  *hugs*
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:26:45 PM by Aquila »

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2021, 06:46:09 PM »
My sister has had Lupus for some years and brain fog plus high white cell count is typical for her, but they are doing more tests, and of course any treatment will be complicated by her Lupus

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab