Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Expired children US passports - renew in USA?  (Read 602 times)

• Liked: 0
Expired children US passports - renew in USA?
« on: July 08, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »
My two daughters US passports expired at the start of the first lockdown - have been obsessively checking for an appointment for over a YEAR now and not managed to get anything. Since they changed the US requirements it seems they would be able to fly into the US from the UK on their expired passport but not back to the UK. Has anyone done this? Also, is it possible to fly in to the US on the expired US passport and then renew when over there? Can you just renew at a passport office or post office?
Thanks so much!
Married to USC in UK Jan 2004
USC issued Entry Clearance in NY Feb 2004
Dual Citizen Daughter born April 2004
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010
Online Application to return to UK 22 Jun 2010
Biometrics done 25 Jun 2012
Mailed out - 27 June 2012 (UPS Overnight-Priority))
Email to confirm package arrived in NY and is being processed - 28 June 2012
Email to say the UK visa has been issued (Wow!!) 29th June
Living in MCR, UK (8 years) - myself British Citizen, husband US with ILR and two dual citizen children

• Liked: 721
Re: Expired children US passports - renew in USA?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 02:31:02 PM »
If your dual citizen children have British Passports then returning should not be a problem.  We always present our British Passports at the check in desk in the USA when flying to the UK. Always have our US Passports with us in case we are challenged but that has never happened. (In theory the airline have to check that you are leaving on a US passport and also that you are legal to enter your country of destination but after a couple of times attempting to provide both passports we gave up)

When I was Naturalized I had a need to fly to the UK on business asap so with Certificate in hand I applied in person for a same day expedited passport. It took a few hours and this was in New Orleans so I just spent the time in the French Quarter rather than drive 70 miles back home to Baton Rouge. It was expensive but in my case the company was paying. When my wife was Naturalized a couple of months later we did something similar, going straight to the Passport Office with certificate in hand but we didn't pay for or wait for the same day passport. It arrived as usual by post a couple of weeks later.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:33:20 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
What Durhamlad said.

But yes, you should be able to renew in the US.  Has to be in person for minors so book in advance.

I know people have had “difficulty” with the expired passports so allow lots of time at the airport and try to have links or printouts of the guidance!  Will save time and effort of the person at the desk hasn’t experienced it before.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 08:34:19 AM »
A bit off topic but I can't resist telling the story again:  My cousin flew back to the states without any passport at all.  It was stolen while she was here and the airlines let her on the plane.  Once in the US she entered on her American drivers license and overwhelming Americanness. 

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 11:12:26 AM »
They do have British Passports too but the reply from the Embassy was emphasising the legality of using their US passport in and out of the USA which made me wary!

Has anyone flown back during the pandemic on their UK passport and an expired US passport?

If we renew them in the USA I can't seem to find anywhere which outlines the paperwork you would need to do this. We are thinking of flying out at the start of August for a couple weeks, my husbands father passed away during lockdown so want to support my MIL in the US. As the wife of a US citizen do I need to get any permission etc. to be able to fly? I really don't want to risk not being able to come back as my daughter starts college, I have to work etc. I guess I have two options - my daughters fly out on an expired passport, renew same day in the USA or they fly out on their expired US passports and back on their UK ones?

I am still trying to get an appointment at the embassy but no luck, and not sure it is practical to book the flight then risk getting an emergency appointment and we live 5 hours away from the embassy....

Any advice much appreciated!
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010
Living in MCR, UK (8 years) - myself British Citizen, husband US with ILR and two dual citizen children

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
I have never heard of a UK Passport holder being denied the right to travel to the UK just because their US passport is expired.

There is currently no penalty for violating the law that US citizens must enter or leave the US bearing a US passport or other document allowed under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

What if I don’t have the required documents when I travel to or return to the United States?

Travelers without WHTI-compliant documents are likely to be delayed at the border as CBP officers work to verify identity and citizenship.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 12:31:55 PM »
Thanks so much - and you don't think there is any reason for them not to let my daughters leave the US if they only have an expired passport?
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »
Thanks so much - and you don't think there is any reason for them not to let my daughters leave the US if they only have an expired passport?

If Border Patrol even notice, and they would have to be alerted by the airline, then I would expect they would be advised to renew their passport ASAP and be warned that returning to the USA will result in delays.

Australia has the same rule as the USA but when you leave Australia you actually have your passport checked  by Australian Border Control where they ensue that you have been in the country legally. We have left Australia several times and at check in we show our US passport as proof that we will be allowed into the USA and at Australian Border Control we show it again where they check the  Australian visa linked to the passport. Our daughter’s husband does similar except he has to show his US passport and check in and Australian passport at Border Control as he is dual citizenship US/Australian.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »
A bit off topic but I can't resist telling the story again:  My cousin flew back to the states without any passport at all.  It was stolen while she was here and the airlines let her on the plane.  Once in the US she entered on her American drivers license and overwhelming Americanness.

Awesome!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 02:39:51 PM »
Hi all, so to confirm - if we fly out with my two daughters (with their expired US passports) under the Presidential Proclamation, that is OK if we have return flights booked? Also, can we renew our passports in the USA while we are their same day if we are not residents? Is it better just to fly back on UK passports?
I want to make sure I can make things as smooth as possible!!

Thanks!
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 08:56:52 PM »
The US postal service said to just fly on UK passports in and out of US if they are in date. I thought if they were dual my daughters needed to use their US passports??

Does anyone know if it’s possible to book an appointment to renew child US passport in USA at the moment?

Thanks!
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:37:26 PM »
Has anyone flew back from the US recently with an expired US passport using their valid UK passport?
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
Yes if you look through the Travel section someone recently posted their experience.

Lots of people are doing it.  Do NOT use the U.K. passport again until reentry to the U.K.   You JUST use the USA expired passport for checkin, at the gate, and at the US border control.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »
Thank you, I can’t seem to find the shared experience in the travel section but I will keep looking! So I would fly my daughters out on their expired US passports under their presidential proclamation and show these when arriving in the US then on the way back to the UK would I check in with UK passport and show this at passport control and to enter UK? would I have to state the Western Hemisphere Initiative? I really am scared for my daughters not being allowed back in to the UK - we have applied for emergency appt but flying out on Tuesday so it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen  :(
USC issued ILR Feb 2006
Moved to USA Feb 2010

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
On returning to the UK you would present your daughters’ UK passports at check in as they are required for entry into the UK.  If you are asked to show US passports as well it would be amazing since I have never ever heard of this happening. I’ve tried to present both passports multiple times both when flying to the UK and when cruising from the USA to the UK and they are simply not interested. If they do ask for US passports when leaving then the most that can happen is a fine but they can’t prevent your daughters from leaving the USA to the UK since they are UK citizens with valid passports.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab