Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss high quality ice cream  (Read 9142 times)

• Liked: 325
I miss high quality ice cream
« on: July 08, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
Everything I buy seems to be overly soft and full of chemicals no matter the price point.  I know I can get a very limited selection of Ben and Jerry’s but those tubs are tiny.  So much so that I’m looking at ice cream makers.

• Liked: 1891
Re: I miss high quality ice cream
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
Making your own ice cream has to be a gigantic PITA.  Doesn't it have to be a custard, and if you cook it a tad bit too much it's like milky scrambled eggs.
A few years back I bought a full size hand crank ice cream maker and had it shipped from the US.  Just like the one everyone used to use 20 years ago where you added ice and salt and one person would sit on it and freeze their butt while another person turned the crank.  Over the years I've only used it once or twice becuase you need a lot of people to turn that crank.  The most successful was lemon sorbet, the mix was essentially really strong lemonade. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:38:41 PM »
I know someone who bought a fancy one, she LOVES it!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 07:38:40 PM »
I used to have a fancy plug in one and I loved it!  It was by Cuisinart.

I haven’t had ice cream for nearly EIGHT YEARS!  Was pregnant last time I had it….  Possibly a whole tub of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. I called my husband at work and said “I’m never eating ice cream again”. And I haven’t. Oh pregnancy! 

• Liked: 325
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 12:34:01 AM »
I know someone who bought a fancy one, she LOVES it!  :)

I’m looking at fancy ones.  One with a compressor so I don’t have to have a freezer bowl in the freezer all the time.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 08:36:39 AM »
I used to have a fancy plug in one and I loved it!  It was by Cuisinart.

I haven’t had ice cream for nearly EIGHT YEARS!  Was pregnant last time I had it….  Possibly a whole tub of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. I called my husband at work and said “I’m never eating ice cream again”. And I haven’t. Oh pregnancy! 
  Like my boy who actually doesn't like ice cream.  I just can't get my head around it.  It's like a basic food group.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
Ohhhh, yummy ice cream!!! I have been hardcore craving on Heavenly Hash for several months now.

My husband has a dairy allergy, but he's not even a fan of ice cream in general (I know Jimbo, what's he LIKE!!!) so getting an ice cream maker*  is just not really cost effective for me.   I hope you get one and enjoy it forever and ever!!

*I would absolutely get the fancy one, because I am a lazy fecker
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »
  Like my boy who actually doesn't like ice cream.  I just can't get my head around it.  It's like a basic food group.

He probably didn't try enough varieties yet!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 06:44:17 PM »
Weighing in on this a little bit late, but just wanted to add that I have had good ice cream here and I don't mind supermarket offerings (tend to just buy Ben and Jerry's as I can get peanut butter variety of theirs and more creative flavours), but it's more the variety that lets me down vs. the taste....

Also, I wish there were more "ice cream parlours" like in the US. They just put a shop in on our high street, but it's not exclusively ice cream and there's maybe 6-8 flavours max - nothing particularly adventurous. Just the standard "cornish ice cream" you get in most seaside towns. I'm talking about missing the experience of having like 10-20+ flavours and the options of milkshakes, sundaes with any/all toppings, proper hot fudge, etc. When it's actually warm (and not being uncharacteristically wet) in the summer and it's still bright out at 8 or 9 PM, I still sometimes get the urge to walk up to the ice cream shop and "treat myself" just to get out and enjoy the weather with a tasty treat. That's some really good "US summer" memories for me and nothing comes close to that over here.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »
Weighing in on this a little bit late, but just wanted to add that I have had good ice cream here and I don't mind supermarket offerings (tend to just buy Ben and Jerry's as I can get peanut butter variety of theirs and more creative flavours), but it's more the variety that lets me down vs. the taste....

Also, I wish there were more "ice cream parlours" like in the US. They just put a shop in on our high street, but it's not exclusively ice cream and there's maybe 6-8 flavours max - nothing particularly adventurous. Just the standard "cornish ice cream" you get in most seaside towns. I'm talking about missing the experience of having like 10-20+ flavours and the options of milkshakes, sundaes with any/all toppings, proper hot fudge, etc. When it's actually warm (and not being uncharacteristically wet) in the summer and it's still bright out at 8 or 9 PM, I still sometimes get the urge to walk up to the ice cream shop and "treat myself" just to get out and enjoy the weather with a tasty treat. That's some really good "US summer" memories for me and nothing comes close to that over here.
  I was surprised to find a proper ice cream parlor on a farm outside Dumfries.  They had actual cows on site to make the milk, and a bunch of different flavours.  and Sundaes!

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 08:35:13 AM »
  I was surprised to find a proper ice cream parlor on a farm outside Dumfries.  They had actual cows on site to make the milk, and a bunch of different flavours.  and Sundaes!
Proper hot fudge too??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »
Over the last few years in Glasgow quite a few 'dessert shops' have opened up... mainly selling ice cream, but probably other stuff as well, like doughnuts, cakes, etc.  The ones that come to mind are  Loop & Scoop, Big Licks, Drip Desserts, Cheeky Moo, Kandy Krunch (no idea if these places are still open post-Covid, though)... in addition to the many Italian cafes, many of which make their own gelato and ice cream.   I live about 40 minutes from Glasgow in a small coastal town called Helensburgh, and even here in a small town we have 2 ice cream parlours... Dino's and Vanilla.  You should see the queues for these places on a warm day!!!

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »
Over the last few years in Glasgow quite a few 'dessert shops' have opened up... mainly selling ice cream, but probably other stuff as well, like doughnuts, cakes, etc.  The ones that come to mind are  Loop & Scoop, Big Licks, Drip Desserts, Cheeky Moo, Kandy Krunch (no idea if these places are still open post-Covid, though)... in addition to the many Italian cafes, many of which make their own gelato and ice cream.   I live about 40 minutes from Glasgow in a small coastal town called Helensburgh, and even here in a small town we have 2 ice cream parlours... Dino's and Vanilla.  You should see the queues for these places on a warm day!!!
How are the range of flavours??

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 585
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 09:31:04 AM »
How are the range of flavours??

I honestly don't know... I prefer my sugar in alcohol form, so I've never been inside any of them!  OH has brought home ice cream from Dino's a few times... he always gets vanilla (which he calls 'original' for some reason that really annoys me!) , but has also brought home chocolate, marshmallow (which was pink) and bubble-gum (which was blue) and cherry...so I reckon they have a reasonable range of flavours.

This will be my homework for tonight!  I will walk the dogs past the 2 ice cream shops on the seafront and check out the range of flavours... I've heard that Vanilla also has some sugar-free offerings, which I'm curious about... :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »
Proper hot fudge too??

Doubtful.  I've tried to explain to my husband what hot fudge is.  He can't quite grok it, because "fudge" is the starting place, and we each approach that word from very different places.  Hot fudge doesn't appear to be a thing to the natives.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links