Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss high quality ice cream  (Read 9159 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: I miss high quality ice cream
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2021, 12:06:58 PM »
We used to take the pre-packaged Jell-O pudding and stick an ice cream stick in it and freeze. Did a pretty darn good substitute (although more like a Jell-o pudding pop)! Yummy!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
So they make (made?) Jell-o pudding pop kits, which really just looks like you make up pudding and freeze!

https://www.tasteamerica.co.uk/jell-o-oreo-pudding-pops-kit-239g.html

You could use paper cups and spoons if you can't be arsed getting a lolly mould
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2021, 12:19:08 PM »
Thanks Tami!
I might need to look for a different pudding recipe, though, as I just cant stomach the idea of hard boiled eggs... but good to know that frozen pudding is a thing!

I was feeling a bit gaggy looking at the video but when you think about it, there's eggs in cake and ice cream and all the good stuff, just not hard boiled!  ;D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »
I was feeling a bit gaggy looking at the video but when you think about it, there's eggs in cake and ice cream and all the good stuff, just not hard boiled!  ;D
Custard is made from eggs. This is just a hack.

I skip the boiled eggs and just scramble them instead and throw them in the blender with my coconut milk and cocoa powder.

There is no boiling and peeling required. Just scramble in a pot and chuck them into the blender.

I just made a batch a few minutes ago.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2021, 11:45:44 AM »
I've always thought this stuff is similar to American fudge sauce.  Not the truffle flavour, but thick chocolate sauce in a jar like this. 

• Liked: 70
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2021, 04:46:07 PM »
I bought the carte d'or vanilla to have with cake last week. A couple of friends said it was "posh". Uh huh. It was okay, tolerable. Husband didn't eat his so I threw it in the garbage and was dismayed to find it'd barely melted in the morning. What on earth is in that stuff?? I'm so grossed out now.

There's little variety in flavour, it's expensive, and apparently it's not even flipping real ice cream.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2021, 05:01:46 PM »
That stuff is like Cool-Whip. Which never seems to go bad.  :P

Carte d'or vanilla:
Reconstituted skimmed MILK, water, glucose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, sugar, coconut oil, whey solids (MILK), emulsifiers (mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), exhausted vanilla bean pieces¹, stabilisers (guar gum, locust bean gum), natural vanilla flavourings¹, colour (carotenes). ¹Rainforest Alliance Certified™

Cool-Whip
Cool-Whip is l is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm kernel oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream (less than 2%), sodium caseinate, natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, sodium polyphosphate, and beta carotene (as a colouring).[1

Dream-Whip (aka powdered Cool-Whip) contains: Sugar, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Modified Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (Emulsifier), Acetylated Monoglycerides (Emulsifier), Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anticaking Agent), Mono- And Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.

Also, there is something called Easy Whip which allows you to whip up any liquid into a whipped topping. It's made of Methylcellulose and Xanthan Gum .

So it's got to the be the 'Gum'! 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »
I've eaten far more Carte 'dor in my life than I otherwise would because my wife loves the light version.  When she gets on a low fat kick, it's Carte d'or or nothing so I've just got to shut up and eat it. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
Ahhh, I would like some ice cream cake............ 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »
Ahhh, I would like some ice cream cake............
There is a new gelato place in Stirling (they make their own gelato in their Edinburgh shop) and they make absolutely stunning ice cream cakes. But they are also £50.

I have ice cream sandwich moulds. I should probably just make my own sandwiches.

I'd make a cake but my freezer is chockabloca full of meat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2021, 04:55:32 PM »
That stuff is like Cool-Whip. Which never seems to go bad.  :P

Carte d'or vanilla:
Reconstituted skimmed MILK, water, glucose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, sugar, coconut oil, whey solids (MILK), emulsifiers (mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), exhausted vanilla bean pieces¹, stabilisers (guar gum, locust bean gum), natural vanilla flavourings¹, colour (carotenes). ¹Rainforest Alliance Certified™

Cool-Whip
Cool-Whip is l is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm kernel oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream (less than 2%), sodium caseinate, natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, sodium polyphosphate, and beta carotene (as a colouring).[1

Dream-Whip (aka powdered Cool-Whip) contains: Sugar, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Modified Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (Emulsifier), Acetylated Monoglycerides (Emulsifier), Sodium Silicoaluminate (Anticaking Agent), Mono- And Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.

Also, there is something called Easy Whip which allows you to whip up any liquid into a whipped topping. It's made of Methylcellulose and Xanthan Gum .

So it's got to the be the 'Gum'!

That all makes me feel really sick. :-X

The ones that kill me are the ones that proudly advertise DAIRY ice cream on the label.  Like what other kind of ice cream is there??  If it's real ice cream, it's dairy. Right?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2021, 07:18:27 PM »
Took the kids to London to the transport museum today.  Went to Shake Shack for the first time and it really was good.

I was very tempted to see if the Vanilla frozen custard blended with caramel and a double shot of bourbon shake would cause me to be ill, but figured it wasn’t the right day to test it.  ;D

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2021, 08:30:39 AM »
Took the kids to London to the transport museum today.  Went to Shake Shack for the first time and it really was good.

I was very tempted to see if the Vanilla frozen custard blended with caramel and a double shot of bourbon shake would cause me to be ill, but figured it wasn’t the right day to test it.  ;D
If you liked the transport museum, you should check out the depot:
https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visit/depot/events
It's only open certain weekends and it's a giant warehouse full to the brim of transport stuff.   Lots and lots of crazy stuff. 

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2021, 08:37:17 AM »
Which reminds me of this:
Malden District Society of Model Engineers
Operators of the Thames Ditton Miniature Railway
https://www.malden-dsme.org/

A collection of completely mad, beardy old guys that run a whole railway built from those trains just big enough to sit on.  They open up every few months to show the kids, but otherwise just run the railway for themselves.  Your kids will love it.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2021, 10:55:08 AM »
Which reminds me of this:
Malden District Society of Model Engineers
Operators of the Thames Ditton Miniature Railway
https://www.malden-dsme.org/

A collection of completely mad, beardy old guys that run a whole railway built from those trains just big enough to sit on.  They open up every few months to show the kids, but otherwise just run the railway for themselves.  Your kids will love it.

I have so totally wanted my own miniature railway for my entire life.  I am one of those completely mad bearded old guys... minus the beard?  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links