Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling while waiting for ILR decision  (Read 637 times)

• Liked: 1
Traveling while waiting for ILR decision
« on: July 08, 2021, 05:19:41 PM »
I applied for my ILR in February and am anxiously waiting for a decision. In the meantime, am I correct that I cannot travel outside of the UK? Obviously my residence permit has expired and I assume that a print out showing I've applied for my ILR won't mean anything.

Second, does Ireland count as outside the UK? Just double checking because my sister is hoping to travel there this summer (no COVID restrictions for US travelers I guess) but I don't think I can meet her without breaking immigration rules.

Thanks for any advice!
Jan. 16 - mailed non-priority application for spouse settlement visa

• Liked: 3589
Re: Traveling while waiting for ILR decision
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 07:10:12 PM »
I applied for my ILR in February and am anxiously waiting for a decision. In the meantime, am I correct that I cannot travel outside of the UK? Obviously my residence permit has expired and I assume that a print out showing I've applied for my ILR won't mean anything.

That is correct. You cannot leave the UK while it is processing, or your ILR application will be considered withdrawn.

As your BRP has expired, while the ILR is processing, your right to live and work in the UK is extended under Section 3C Leave... but this only stays valid while you REMAIN in the UK. As soon as you leave, you lose the right to live in the U.K., which means not only doesn your ILR application become invalid, but you cannot return to the U.K. to live (as you would not have a valid visa anymore) so you would have to go back to the US and start your 5-year visa journey all over again with a spousal visa... which you don’t want to do when you’re so close to ILR being granted.

Second, does Ireland count as outside the UK? Just double checking because my sister is hoping to travel there this summer (no COVID restrictions for US travelers I guess) but I don't think I can meet her without breaking immigration rules.

Ireland is part of the CTA (Common Travel Area), so technically there should be no immigration controls between Ireland and the UK, but I’m not sure you should risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »
I had a situation after I married and had applied for my BRP to be issued in my married name.

My BIL was getting married in Ireland.  We searched all over and the long and short was that you can’t get into the ROI without a passport. All airlines and ferries required it.  There was no passport control from Ireland to the U.K. 

BUT I suspect that CTA or not, they are checking Covid rules. 

Hopefully like me your passport will randomly arrive back within 48 hours of your planned trip!   ;D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 11:55:27 AM »
Thanks to you both for replying. ksand24, I stayed in the country!

KFdancer, I have my passport - was waiting on my BPR. But it came today!  ;D
Jan. 16 - mailed non-priority application for spouse settlement visa

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab