Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ESTA application for UK spouse?  (Read 1352 times)

• Liked: 20
ESTA application for UK spouse?
« on: July 19, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »
Hi, my wife (US citizen with UK FLR) and I (UK) plan to visit family in America. I understand she is fine to travel as a returning citizen and that as her spouse I am exempt from presidential proclamation barring entry to people from UK. We will travel together, and I've read your advice that we should manually check in at the airport to have the exemption cleared.

I'm not clear about the ESTA situation? I assume I need one? My ESTA expired last year. Should I apply for another online as previously, or do I have to go through the embassy for ESTA... or is it a case of needing to apply for a visa or something?

Thanks in advance for any pointers on this.

• Liked: 16
Re: ESTA application for UK spouse?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »
They're still processing ESTAs in the normal timeframe, through the normal online application - my husband renewed his last week.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
You need to apply for an ESTA. You cannot enter the US without one.

However, what will happen is your ESTA will automatically get cancelled on the day of the flight due to being British and obviously banned. You then clear immigration, from the US immigration officer, by proving your exemption so ensure to take evidence (marriage certificate). Then when checking in the check-in staff call US border control to request an ESTA manual override code. They then manually reinstate your ESTA at check-in

So, if you have no ESTA you will not be allowed entry. Also, very important, do not fill in your advanced passenger info into your airline and especially do not do advanced check-in. It's imperative the check-in staff deal with your check-in. You won't be alone.

Apply for the ESTA online as you usually do.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 20
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 11:49:05 AM »
Thanks for the very clear advice and pointing out the pitfalls, that's great.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »
Just wondering why the advice is to not fill in API? We're travelling to the US in a couple of weeks (UK citizen husband and me+son both USC). I've already filled in the API for all of us.  Should I delete it? Is there some sort of official guidance on how to handle this?  I know we'll have to bring documentation to the airport and my husband travels with a visa which is in date so he doesn't get an ESTA.

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
Just wondering why the advice is to not fill in API? We're travelling to the US in a couple of weeks (UK citizen husband and me+son both USC). I've already filled in the API for all of us.  Should I delete it? Is there some sort of official guidance on how to handle this?  I know we'll have to bring documentation to the airport and my husband travels with a visa which is in date so he doesn't get an ESTA.

Thanks!

Because you're letting a digitilised system deal with your info which will have default algorithms and settings which will deny your husband checking in. However, seeing as you have not checked in and it's three weeks away I would delete immediately. I would also call your airline to ensure all info is cleared and explain your situation.

There are specific visas which are exempt from the ban. You need to ensure his visa is one of them and if not bring marriage cert.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 05:05:49 PM »
How do you know this about the APIS info?

I see that the US Embassy site advises no online check in if you are using ESTA...which he is not. So no ESTA to be awkwardly cancelled I presume, though due to his visa we can't normally check in online. He just has a B1/B2 visa so he is is subject to the ban anyway and we would need to present paperwork showing his exemption. I admire your optimism that I am going to be able to a) speak to someone at the airline and b) they have a clue  -  because neither of those two things has been possible/realistic so far.

FYI anyone else who comes across this, you can't delete API data once imputed, at least not with American Airlines.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
How do you know this about the APIS info?

I see that the US Embassy site advises no online check in if you are using ESTA...which he is not. So no ESTA to be awkwardly cancelled I presume, though due to his visa we can't normally check in online. He just has a B1/B2 visa so he is is subject to the ban anyway and we would need to present paperwork showing his exemption. I admire your optimism that I am going to be able to a) speak to someone at the airline and b) they have a clue  -  because neither of those two things has been possible/realistic so far.

FYI anyone else who comes across this, you can't delete API data once imputed, at least not with American Airlines.

I'm sure you'll be fine with AIPS but flying forums advise against it going to the States. Maybe they just blanket that as if there's no AIPS you cannot check-in, which is the most crucial aspect.

His ESTA will be cancelled on the day, automatically, regardless. You get cleared by an Immigration Officer who you present your evidence to and then check-in call US Border Control, explain you've been cleared, and they send the check--in staff a manual override code which they use to reinstate your ESTA.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

Sponsored Links