Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Who has renounced, is in process of renouncing, or thinking about renouncing?  (Read 6619 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Hello, all. For those who asked, I renounced on Friday 2nd Feb at US Embassy London. I applied for a loss of nationality appointment in July 2023 and was at last invited for an appointment at the end of January 2024. I had to send in scans of all my documents and fill in a form and email that back as well. After receiving my documents, they sent me an appointment date.  Here's what happened on the day:

I arrived at the embassy at 9.51AM. My appointment was at 11AM.There was no queue, just a couple of people. I was asked for my name, appointment time and ID. I passed through airport style security. There were no queues. At reception, I was asked for my appointment time and given a slip showing my reason for attending as Loss of Nationality, with a number starting with L. I went to the second floor as directed, where there are windows numbered 25 through 41, seating, screens noting numbers being called and what window to report to, as well as which number is current at what window, and a tannoy announcing which window to report to. I counted the number of tickets listed on the screen. There were about 11 other people there with numbers starting L, so I assume they were there for the same reason as me. It's possible it was a renunciation 'clinic' which accounts for the lack of queues. Within minutes, I was called to window 41 where I was shown documents I am familiar with and have seen online. My details were confirmed and passports taken along with the Royal Mail special delivery self addressed envelope I had been instructed to bring. I was sent back to wait, having been told I would visit two more windows in this visit. I was soon called to cashier's window 25 where a swipe of my card relieved me of $2350. I was asked to sign a receipt. I was sent back to wait. Each of us was sitting quite apart from one another, in typical waiting room fashion when there is space available, but an older lady with salt and pepper hair and a chunky wooden pastel necklace sat down next to me. 'Hello,' I said. 'Hi,' she said, then after a pause, 'Bit dodgy isn't it?' 'Is it?' I replied. 'Well, to me it is,' she said. 'Are you here to renounce?' I noticed she had some sort of accent, neither from UK nor America. I said yes and just then I was called to window P6, around the corner. This was the consular's window. I was provided a chair at this window, instead of having to stand. The consular officer asked me to raise my right hand and affirm my name and date of birth and place of birth. Then she asked me to sign the documents I'd seen at the first window. She asked me to raise my right hand and read the oath on the form,  which I did in my most clear and careful reading voice:

I desire and hereby make a formal renunciation of my U.S. nationality, as provided by section 349(a)(5) of the
Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, as amended, and pursuant thereto, I hereby absolutely and entirely
renounce my United States nationality together with all rights and privileges and all duties and allegiance and
fidelity thereunto pertaining. I make this renunciation intentionally, voluntarily, and of my own free will, free of any
duress or undue influence.

I then signed it and she took it. She returned my UK passport. She explained my cancelled US  passport and loss of nationality certificate would be sent to me in 3-6 months. We wished each other good day and I went out as I'd come in at 10.41AM. That was it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:49:30 AM by Carla »

• Liked: 719
Thanks so much for the details of your appointment, very interesting.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 12
Thanks, Carla; nice description of the appointment.  I hope to renounce too someday and it's good to know what to expect.

Did you wonder if the lady with the salt and pepper hair might be an embassy agent trying to suss you out?  It would have crossed my mind.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Dharma in the Dishes
Not at all. The form I filled asked if I wanted to provide a statement of my reasons and I said no. The process was entirely polite and mechanical and no one seemed in the slightest interested in anything but efficiently processing the papers and seeing the next customer. There was no chit chat, no questioning, thoroughly neutral pleasant politeness. I hadn't known what to expect but had hoped it would be like passport services, window window window out, and so it was.

• Liked: 1892
Not at all. The form I filled asked if I wanted to provide a statement of my reasons and I said no. The process was entirely polite and mechanical and no one seemed in the slightest interested in anything but efficiently processing the papers and seeing the next customer. There was no chit chat, no questioning, thoroughly neutral pleasant politeness. I hadn't known what to expect but had hoped it would be like passport services, window window window out, and so it was.
  That seems like a perfect description of every interaction I've ever had at that new Embassy.   Not anything like the old embassy where they would have a chat and maybe do some extra thing for you, or explain something.  The new one feels more like being a chicken in an abbatoir, moving from place to place to have one tiny thing done at each station.  It must be horrible for the workers.

That seems like a perfect description of every interaction I've ever had at that new Embassy.   Not anything like the old embassy where they would have a chat and maybe do some extra thing for you, or explain something.  The new one feels more like being a chicken in an abbatoir, moving from place to place to have one tiny thing done at each station.  It must be horrible for the workers.

Brilliant description  :D

I've only dealt with them over the phone, online or via mail so never had that in-person experience.

Brilliant description  :D

I've only dealt with them over the phone, online or via mail so never had that in-person experience.
  You've never been to the new US Embassy?  The coolest thing is the view of this insane swimming pool as seen in this picture

The next coolest thing is the Mexican restaurant called Frida's  (https://www.fridas.co.uk/vauxhall )  just down the street. 

I'm seriously thinking of renouncing, especially since I've heard that I'm unlikely to get any social security  from the US if I collect a pension here.  If I can't get two pensions and have to file every year for the rest of my life, US citizenship is looking pretty unattractive.   If Trump wins, it will be even more tempting. 

• Dharma in the Dishes
Update. Saturday 24th Feb I received my paperwork via special delivery and an email saying due to an 'immaterial clerical error' not to do with my personal information, I needed to sign the papers again and send back via special delivery, which I have done, costing me another £7.35 and putting the process back another month. Hip hip hooray. As it is, I was told to expect to wait 3-6 months for my Loss of Nationality certificate. Can you believe it.

• Dharma in the Dishes
I'm seriously thinking of renouncing, especially since I've heard that I'm unlikely to get any social security  from the US if I collect a pension here. 

I don't know where you heard that. It conflicts with what I've learned. I've found this information online: If you have paid into Social Security for 40 quarters (10 years), you are eligible to collect benefits when of age. If you are eligible to collect Social Security and your renunciation process is done properly, it will in no way affect any payment or collection entitlement after expatriation. Your Social Security number will remain in place; you’re just not taxed as a US citizen any longer.  If you are a resident of one of these popular expat countries, you can continue to receive payments regularly:  Australia • Austria • Belgium • Canada • Chile • Czech Republic • Denmark • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Ireland • Italy • Japan • Korea (South) • Luxembourg • Netherlands • Norway • Poland • Portugal • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • United Kingdom

I'd be interested to see where you read that SS is cut off for ex US citizens.

I don't know where you heard that. It conflicts with what I've learned. I've found this information online: If you have paid into Social Security for 40 quarters (10 years), you are eligible to collect benefits when of age. If you are eligible to collect Social Security and your renunciation process is done properly, it will in no way affect any payment or collection entitlement after expatriation. Your Social Security number will remain in place; you’re just not taxed as a US citizen any longer.  If you are a resident of one of these popular expat countries, you can continue to receive payments regularly:  Australia • Austria • Belgium • Canada • Chile • Czech Republic • Denmark • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Ireland • Italy • Japan • Korea (South) • Luxembourg • Netherlands • Norway • Poland • Portugal • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • United Kingdom

I'd be interested to see where you read that SS is cut off for ex US citizens.

Fully in agreement here. My wife receives both her SS and OAP. I am in receipt of OAP and will apply for SS at the end of this year. I expect it to be as easy as when she applied for hers.

• Dharma in the Dishes
Hello all, I've received my Loss of Nationality certificate and cancelled US passport today. (I'm at work, hubby signed for it at home). So nearly complete, just to get those last tax things out of the way, then it's done and dusted. That's 73 days from appearing at the US Embassy until receipt of certificate. Start to finish (requesting appointment to receiving certificate) July 2023 - April 2024.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab