Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Child's US passport not arrived - can he fly to US on his British passport?  (Read 1067 times)

• Liked: 1
We are hoping to fly to the US on Thursday. My teenage son's passport expired in May and we were only able to get a renewal appointment two weeks ago - we are concerned that the new passport may not arrive in time for us to travel. I've contacted the Embassy but my understanding is that I can only do that by email and I've not yet had a response.

If we are not able to get his US passport (either the new one, or an emergency one, or have the expired one returned to us), would it be possible for him to fly on his UK passport, since he is our child and would be travelling with us? I saw on another thread a question about a non-US citizen spouse travelling on a UK passport, and the person was advised to have their ESTA up to date - is that something we would need to do (and what does that involve - have never had to worry about this before! It was recommended in the other thread that they do something at the airport rather than online, which I didn't really understand)? Would we need to take his birth certificate when we go to the airport?

Hoping to get the US passport in time but just trying to figure out what might be possible if not. Thanks for any advice anyone can give!

• Liked: 170
No he can’t get an esta as he is a US citizen. US citizens cannot get Estas. Their experience is not relevant to yours as the spouse was not a US citizen. Your son is a US citizen.

He HAS to travel to the US on his US passport. Keep following up with the embassy.

Sorry you’re going through this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 107
As physicsake said, he is an American citizen so he must travel on a US passport. You need to eliminate the fact that he has a British passport and basically pretend he doesn't have one.

Regarding the ESTA and evidence this is for non-US citizens. Their evidence is to prove they are exempt from the ban (by being married to a USC) and therefore can fly. Their ESTA's are void on the day of the flight due to being banned however they are manually reinstated at check-in once evidence is shown. Hence the reason to NOT check-in online prior to the flight and check-in in person.

You and your son being US citizens do not need to do this and no evidence is required and you are free to check-in online as you please.

I've heard of a few people flying out on expired US passports but seeing as your son's new one is in the process of being made I am not sure what happens there system wise. Hopefully someone can come along to provide advice. Keep emailing the embassy in the meantime.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 1
Okay, I understand - guess that will not be an option. I'll keep trying to reach the Embassy in that case!

Sponsored Links