Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Covid Vaccine  (Read 11772 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Covid Vaccine
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »
@larrabee, my husband was boosted last night and they did have both “on offer”. He said he didn’t mind, so they sent him down the Moderna queue. 

• Liked: 716
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2021, 07:34:40 PM »
We didn’t have a choice and got Pfizer as our 3rd, but we were on the mixed vaccine trial.

Turned out that we had Novavax as our 2nd blind vaccine, AstraZenecca was our first and had zero side effects. It turns out that Novavax also generates “a robust response” when combined with either AstraZenecca or Pfizer.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/novavax-expected-to-be-approved-as-fourth-covid-vaccine-in-uk?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Clinical trials suggest that two doses of the Novavax jab have an efficacy of about 90% against symptomatic Covid – similar to the other approved UK vaccines. It is also undergoing “mix and match” testing with the Oxford/AstraZeneca or Pfizer/BioNTech jabs and preliminary data suggest it generates a robust immune response when given as the second dose.

But it is the emerging signs of reduced side-effects that could make Novavax particularly attractive.

Trial data appear to show the potential for lower “reactogenicity” compared with existing jabs, meaning side-effects such as injection-site swelling, fatigue, headaches and muscle pain occur less frequently. No direct head-to-head comparisons have yet been done, however, and further studies are needed.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2021, 05:49:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  :)

It doesn't look like there is much in it so I feel that I'm going to be happy with either option!   

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  :)

It doesn't look like there is much in it so I feel that I'm going to be happy with either option!   

Just what I would do.

When my 38 year old son got his appointment for his first vaccine he was told it would be Pfizer but when he arrived he was that it was AZ they had left and he gladly accepted it.  I really don’t think there is much difference between Pfizer and Moderna, we are talking margins at best.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »
I really don’t think there is much difference between Pfizer and Moderna, we are talking margins at best.

From what I have read, I think this is a fair statement.  I know that there is a difference in delivery, in that Moderna's doses are much higher 100mcg compared to Pfizer's 30mcg.  But in the end, it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on duration or degree of protection.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 107
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2021, 08:26:24 AM »
I agree I think margins are negligible. I'd choose the one with the shortest line :)
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »
We had our boosters yesterday.  :)  No choice, we were given Pfizer but that's honestly what I would have chosen in any case.

Relieved and hugely grateful to have had it done!  :)

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2021, 06:22:22 PM »
Having received our 3rd vaccine on Nov 9th we decided to go on a couple of trips. November 22 we took the train to London for a 5 day visit. The following week we drove to York for a 2 night stay. On Saturday 4th Dec we were back home and eating lunch at a local cafe when our NHS app alerted us to the fact that we had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive for Covid. This contact was listed as happening on the 1st which was the day we arrived and spent 2 hours in the Jorvik Centre museum. The app asked a few questions and since we were fully vaccinated it said we did not need to self isolate unless we had or developed symptoms and advised taking a PCR test.  Our walk home takes us right past our local PCR test centre so we asked there about an appointment and they invited us in. We did the test at about 2:30 and at 6:09am the results were texted to us.  Negative.

This is the second time we have been in close contact with someone who has Covid. A few weeks after our first vaccine we spent at least 30 minutes in the car with our son who developed symptoms 3 days later and nearly died from Covid so he had a really big dose of the virus.

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »
Having received our 3rd vaccine on Nov 9th we decided to go on a couple of trips. November 22 we took the train to London for a 5 day visit. The following week we drove to York for a 2 night stay. On Saturday 4th Dec we were back home and eating lunch at a local cafe when our NHS app alerted us to the fact that we had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive for Covid. This contact was listed as happening on the 1st which was the day we arrived and spent 2 hours in the Jorvik Centre museum. The app asked a few questions and since we were fully vaccinated it said we did not need to self isolate unless we had or developed symptoms and advised taking a PCR test.  Our walk home takes us right past our local PCR test centre so we asked there about an appointment and they invited us in. We did the test at about 2:30 and at 6:09am the results were texted to us.  Negative.

This is the second time we have been in close contact with someone who has Covid. A few weeks after our first vaccine we spent at least 30 minutes in the car with our son who developed symptoms 3 days later and nearly died from Covid so he had a really big dose of the virus.

Yay for immunity!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »

We also have had alerts and (of course) children. Somehow we’ve still escaped it. 

Though, for us, we know it’s a question of WHEN not IF. 

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2021, 09:29:08 AM »
We also have had alerts and (of course) children. Somehow we’ve still escaped it. 

We have 2 good friends here who eventually caught it from their young children, plus a sister of mine who caught it from one of her grandchildren. Fortunately all cases were mild.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »

We're all getting it, just hopefully mild when it comes!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab