Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling to the US in December  (Read 1135 times)

• Liked: 0
Traveling to the US in December
« on: August 22, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »
Hello everyone - I have a couple of questions about going to the US in December as things currently stand, and I wanted to make sure I am understanding everything correctly.

I am a US citizen by birth and now live in the UK, where I also have citizenship.

My daughter was born in Jan 2020 in the UK and I have not yet been able to get her an American passport/citizenship due to the consulate in London being either closed or open at a reduced capacity. I have not yet been able to book an appointment in person as needed to get her passport/citizenship etc. I hear these are almost impossible to get and I have been checking online everyday.

My question is - can she travel to the US with me on her British passport when we go to the States in December? Ideally she should be traveling as an American but if I can't get her citizenship, then I'm a bit stuck.

My other question is - My husband is British and as far as I am aware, under the Presidential Proclamation & U.S. Travel Restrictions, he will be able to travel with me to the states, correct?

Many thanks in advance!! :)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Traveling to the US in December
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »
The CRBA appointments open on Thursdays foe the following week. This week they opened 60 appointments so I think it’s improving.

Once you get to 5 days within travel, they will issue you an emergency appointment for a same day passport.

While in the past, people have been able to travel using British passports, with the current restrictions, you really can’t.  Keep an eye out, appointments are starting to be more readily available.   This week it was a few hours before they all booked, versus seconds in weeks prior.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 05:13:32 PM »
Yes your husband can travel to the US.  He'll need your marriage certificate.  If he's not with you, he'll need a copy of the ID pages from your passport.

My husband was put in a separate line before we could check in, where someone carefully checked our passports and marriage certificate on a computer and through multiple phone calls.  It took close to 10 minutes.  There were 2 people ahead of us, so it took probably 25 minutes to complete this process, and then we had to get in line to check in.  So I would plan to arrive plenty early at the airport.

In US immigration, he had to go to secondary processing which took an extra 30-40 minutes.  I suggest he carries a copy of the ID pages from your passport even if you travel together, in case you get separated in immigration. 

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
The CRBA appointments open on Thursdays foe the following week. This week they opened 60 appointments so I think it’s improving.

Once you get to 5 days within travel, they will issue you an emergency appointment for a same day passport.

While in the past, people have been able to travel using British passports, with the current restrictions, you really can’t.  Keep an eye out, appointments are starting to be more readily available.   This week it was a few hours before they all booked, versus seconds in weeks prior.

Ok, many thanks for this info! Do you know what time of the day on Thursday is best to check for new appointments?

Also regarding the emergency passport appointments - As my daughter is applying for her first passport & citizenship (SSN etc) at the same time - is this also something they can sort at that kind of appointment?

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »
Yes your husband can travel to the US.  He'll need your marriage certificate.  If he's not with you, he'll need a copy of the ID pages from your passport.

My husband was put in a separate line before we could check in, where someone carefully checked our passports and marriage certificate on a computer and through multiple phone calls.  It took close to 10 minutes.  There were 2 people ahead of us, so it took probably 25 minutes to complete this process, and then we had to get in line to check in.  So I would plan to arrive plenty early at the airport.

In US immigration, he had to go to secondary processing which took an extra 30-40 minutes.  I suggest he carries a copy of the ID pages from your passport even if you travel together, in case you get separated in immigration.

Ok, thank you! That is great advice, will make sure we bring these docs with us.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »

Ok, many thanks for this info! Do you know what time of the day on Thursday is best to check for new appointments?

Also regarding the emergency passport appointments - As my daughter is applying for her first passport & citizenship (SSN etc) at the same time - is this also something they can sort at that kind of appointment?

Usually between 11 and 2. But just have it refreshing ALL day.  You can set your browser to notify you of any changes to the page and get pinged straight away. 

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
Ok, thank you, will do!!  :)

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
Usually between 11 and 2. But just have it refreshing ALL day.  You can set your browser to notify you of any changes to the page and get pinged straight away.

Ok, thank you. Last question - do you happen to know if the emergency appointments for last minute passports can also work if you are getting your child a passport for the first time and they do not yet have citizenship or a SSN?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links