Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just Starting Out  (Read 1913 times)

• Liked: 0
Just Starting Out
« on: August 26, 2021, 01:36:51 AM »
Hey everybody. My partner and I are in the early stages of figuring out how to relocate to the U.K.  We are completely overwhelmed and unsure how to even start. Honestly, we are not even sure whether we want to be in Scotland or England yet (as we love the countryside in both tremendously). What we do know is that we want a small village with a pub, about 10-15 minutes from a market town, space for our three dogs, and no more than about an hour from really good medical facilities. (My partner is in the early stages of Parkinson’s so eventually this will be very important).  I will be working, but unclear yet in what form or where, while my partner is retired (and has a steady income of 36,000 pounds per year. I am currently an office administrator in a law office with 30+ years experience. It is my understanding that I can get an ancestry visa through my grandmother who was born in Ireland prior to 1922 (although I am still investigating the specifics to make sure this is accurate). We are hoping to make the move in the next couple of years and since I am a planner, I like to have everything lined up and managed as efficiently and effectively as possible; hence starting now.  SO, and and all comments and suggestions are welcome. Please, share your knowledge and experience. We want to learn from those that have made this transition before us.  Thanks ever so much.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Just Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 05:02:44 AM »
Hey everybody. My partner and I are in the early stages of figuring out how to relocate to the U.K.  We are completely overwhelmed and unsure how to even start. Honestly, we are not even sure whether we want to be in Scotland or England yet (as we love the countryside in both tremendously). What we do know is that we want a small village with a pub, about 10-15 minutes from a market town, space for our three dogs, and no more than about an hour from really good medical facilities. (My partner is in the early stages of Parkinson’s so eventually this will be very important).  I will be working, but unclear yet in what form or where, while my partner is retired (and has a steady income of 36,000 pounds per year. I am currently an office administrator in a law office with 30+ years experience. It is my understanding that I can get an ancestry visa through my grandmother who was born in Ireland prior to 1922 (although I am still investigating the specifics to make sure this is accurate). We are hoping to make the move in the next couple of years and since I am a planner, I like to have everything lined up and managed as efficiently and effectively as possible; hence starting now.  SO, and and all comments and suggestions are welcome. Please, share your knowledge and experience. We want to learn from those that have made this transition before us.  Thanks ever so much.

Welcome to the forum!  :)
What is your nationality? To apply for an ancestry visa, you need to be a Commonwealth citizen.
https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa

However, with an Irish grandparent, you may be eligible for Irish citizenship which would permit you to live in the UK.
https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab