Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starting out here...again.  (Read 2096 times)

• Liked: 1
Starting out here...again.
« on: August 29, 2021, 01:24:39 AM »
Its been about three years since I logged on for the first time. I fell in love with a woman from Dorset 7-years ago and dated across an ocean for almost five years. Against all the odds we married about two years ago and she moved to the US. She now has permanent residency and we want to establish some roots in the UK for me. With lengthy quarantine restrictions I've not traveled there since just before the COVID lockdowns. Adding me to her banking account has been a frustration as apparently I need to be there in person to do so. We'd like to buy a home next year but want to start moving funds now. I'm not sure I can even be on title to a home until I am there. Any advice? Thanks all if you have any advice!

• Liked: 170
Re: Starting out here...again.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 08:34:45 PM »
Hiya! Welcome!

Is the end goal dual citizenship for you both, or…?

If you both move here, she will have to return her green card. She would need to become a IS citizen for her to be able to return to the US to reside in the future without more visas.

You would have to be (more or less) resident in the UK for 5 years before you would qualify for the UK equivalent of pregnant residency (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and could then apply for UK citizenship. If you left the UK for two years after Indefinite Leave to Remain and had not applied for citizenship, you would have to start the path all over again.

Getting a joint bank account is the least of your hurdles. Have you had a look at the financial requirements for the UK spouse visa? Are you ready for UK bureaucracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »
Thank you. The goal is to spend time in both countries but I'd prefer to spend more time there. The banking situation is more a frustration at the moment, but we'll work it out. We'll take time on finding a home near Exeter. Hopefully by year end or shortly after. I like Salisbury but is a little further from friends and family. I can visit for 6-months at a time but want the opportunity to work as well. I can consult from there almost as well as from the US. A few years from  retirement, I can't imagine not working even if it was pulling pints a few nights a week! Thank you again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 04:02:09 PM »
Look into the tax implications of having your name on a home in the U.K. before you get too far ahead of yourselves. We ALWAYS recommend a foreign resident be only in the name of the UKC where possible.

Unless you are willing to have her get US citizenship and put down roots in the U.K. for a solid 5+ years, the boat to have a transatlantic lifestyle may have sailed.  Does she qualify to sponsor you for a spouse visa?

Just be sure to take solid legal/tax/immigration advice before making any big decisions. The struggle to open a bank account will give you a feel for how “fun” it is to be an American investing abroad. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab