Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 9/11 - 20 years  (Read 2661 times)

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: 9/11 - 20 years
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 06:11:26 PM »
Wobbling.

I was in NJ at the time, on my way to class. Travelling on I-80E, facing the city. The sky was that perfect shade of blue I think you only get during autumn on the East coast. No clouds.

I turned the radio on. NYC based station. Scott & Todd's morning show. I just listened to the clip. It's exactly what I remember.

The song ended and it cut to the morning show hosts. They were quiet. The news was telling people "take it easy. The danger has not increased." Telling families not to panic. The hosts we watching -- narrating -- when the second plane hit.

They started taking calls, broadcasting the people who were looking to find someone to amplify their reach.. Looking for husbands, wives, friends. Names of loved ones being read out. No one really had mobiles. Phones were down.

I got to class. It was my Tues/Thurs English class. We sat there in stunned silence. A girl eventually got up and fled in tears, she had family in the tower. Class was dismissed. I think of her every year.

The smoke was visible in that perfect blue sky now. And other than that it was so, so quiet. Like no one dared to breathe.

I never want to hear that kind of quiet again.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 11:15:44 PM »
I’m currently a couple of glasses of wine in…

Today has been rough. There’s something I can’t *quite* put my finger on. There’s an itch I can’t quite scratch.

My life would have looked completely different had that day not happened. My children wouldn’t exist (at least as they are). I probably wouldn’t be in the UK or be a UKC. I wouldn’t have gone the the university I went to (universities, really). Just everything would have been different and I sometimes wonder what it would have actually been like - what I would have been like with my change in life circumstances.

I talked to my dad today about our recollections of that day (he was with me). He corrected or amended a couple of my recollections and I supplemented his. He mentioned my sister won’t talk about that day at all. I feel the NEED to talk about it, at least today. It’s bothering me (again, I’m sure this is ego). I should probably talk to him again about it…

I’m watching the bbc doc 9/11: inside the war room. It’s the first 9/11 doc I’ve ever been able to watch without just breaking into a wreck of a human being. It’s not about the drama and the tragedy. It’s the ‘behind the scenes’. It mentions that Shanksville isn’t that far from Camp David, so maybe that’s where that ex-something or other got his (in the end) incorrect info from??

I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling some sort of existential itchiness today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
On this 20th anniversary, I have been thinking a lot about the events of 9/11/01, and I have concluded that the hijackers were just about the single most effective irregular fighting force in the history of warfare. 19 men, armed only with box cutters, have brought a once great nation to its knees. Sure, it has taken 20 years, but in my view all the political and social dysfunction we see today follows in a direct line from that event.

Today, the American people are at each other's throats like a pack of feral dogs. We hate and distrust each other so much that some of us would overthrow the government and others would be happy to split up the country. We are unable even to join together to defeat the most significant public health crisis we have faced in over a century. And why? Primarily because, in response to the 9/11 attack, we started not just one, but two foreign wars. The only thing that resulted from those wars is that the supporters of the wars and the opponents of the wars grew to hate each other with a vitriol that soon politicized every aspect of life and broke us into permanently warring tribes. And the trillions of dollars we spent on those wars have rendered us financially unable to address actual real world problems, like infrastructure deficiencies, climate change and education and employment opportunities for our young people.

The fanatics who attacked us that day could never, in their wildest dreams, have foreseen just how much harm they would cause us.
________
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »
I had several moments of quiet reflection yesterday.

We watched that BBC Documentary ‘Inside the War Room’ last night and it was so interesting. Makes me give Bush a lot of credit for the hell he went through on the day.  And just how little information they had. Crazy.  My husband and I talked about if that happened when Trump was president.  Shudder. 

Big hugs to you wobblers,  I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult it’s been.  Hugs!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2021, 08:03:15 PM »
I’m pleased you all thought the BBC interview with Bush was worthwhile. I found it very eye opening. 

Durhamlad, your paragraph on America 20 years on brought me to tears. Nailed it.  You are completely, and wholly correct.  Those terrorists truly won. 

Sponsored Links