Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Discovery Plus - how do i watch this on an actual TV?  (Read 2266 times)

• Liked: 584
Discovery Plus - how do i watch this on an actual TV?
« on: September 22, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »
I've googled this to death and still can't work it out...

I have a Discovery + subscription, but I can't work out how to watch it on my TV... so I've just been watching it on my phone, but I'm getting a bit sick of that.  I want to watch it on a TV screen!

From what I've read, I will need a Firestick or a Chromecast or some other device-y type thing to watch it on my telly.  But I've also read that it's a channel you can subscribe to on Amazon Prime Video.  But I've done a search on Amazon Prime video and nothing comes up other than individual programmes on Discovery + that you have to pay per episode or per season to watch.  I've already got the subscription (the £4.99 one)… I don't want to pay per episode.  I just want to watch what's on my phone on a bigger screen!

Why is this so hard??  Have any of you guys conquered this??

• Liked: 16
Re: Discovery Plus - how do i watch this on an actual TV?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »
We have a Firestick, which was well worth the £20 we spent on it for the convenience of having all the streaming services (Netflix, iPlayer, Channel 4, etc) on the TV without having to toggle between different options! It was also much cheaper than getting a Smart TV, which does the same thing and may be what the article you're referring to is talking about.

As far as I understood it, that was the only way to get it onto the TV because it is a streaming site.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 05:43:50 PM »
I have a fire stick as well but other things that work.

My TV has an App Store (tv connects to WiFi). If you’re tv connects to WiFi you should be able to download the app there. Then use your log on.

With the WiFi, I can also hit a button on my phone to have it display on the tv. I guess the big question is, does your tv have WiFi?

If those don’t work, I’ll see what I can find out about Prime and Discovery Plus. I have both so should be able to play around.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »
Yeah, it's a smart TV...connected to WiFi.  Telly is roughly about 3 years old, so not the newest, but still smart.
I've searched for Discovery+  on my TV in the 'app gallery' and in 'TV on demand'... both come up with nothing. 
I don't mind buying a Firestick or a Chromecast if I have to, but it just seems like this shouldn't be so difficult! 
Other people I have asked tell me that on the Discovery+ app on my phone, there should be a symbol up in one of the top corners that should cast it to my telly, but there's nothing!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:50:50 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
Does Discovery have a call centre?  We had some problems with Netflix a while back and just called customer service.  The did a great job sorting it.  I know the idea of calling a TV channel's customer service is a bit much to get your head around....

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 04:54:20 PM »
You're right Jimbo… it's quite a concept!
I'll look into that...

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 08:43:41 AM »
Next lame question...

if I buy some sort of device to be able to stream this channel on my TV... which one?  Chromecast or Firestick? Seems like they both do the same thing; it's just that I have a Google Pixel phone and a Google Nest smart-speaker...will I be messing things up if I throw an Amazon (ie non-Google) Firestick into the mix?  Or should I stick with Google because all my other tech stuff is Google?  I guess what im asking is there any problem with a Google phone 'talking to' an Amazon Firestick?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »
Will my phone talk to my Firestick?  What is this world coming to! 
I actually have no idea, I'll ask my kid. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »
I have the fire stick. I have all the TV.  I have no problems.

I can’t help with the smart stuff.  And thankfully my kids won’t know either.   ;D

Sponsored Links