Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling with still-valid ILR in expired US passport clipped to new passport?  (Read 647 times)

• Liked: 0
I am US citizen with ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) visa. The visa is in my now-expired passport. I never bothered getting one of the new biometric versions of the visa (I think it's a card?)

According to the UK Home Office website (buried way in) it seems to say that as long as you clip your expired passport with ILR visa in it, to your new passport, its fine to travel.

Just wondering if anyone's had recent real-time experience doing this - clipping expired passport with still-valid ILR visa, clipping to the new passport?

(And also wondering how the biometric card works in principal -- do you clip that to your passport, or show it separately at airport? Seems like a pain, as its one more thing to remember to bring).
Thanks

• Liked: 4985
Yes, you can use the ILR in your expired passport for re-entry back into the UK.

What you can't do is work legally if your ILR is in an expired passport.  So if you work, you'll want to make the switch to a BRP before your employer figures  out that you no longer have a valid right to work entitlement. 

Yes, the BRP is carried separately.  But no different to having to carry two passports. 

At some point, they'll change the rules and require BRP's for travel.  If you decide to not apply for British citizenship, keep abreast of the rules.  They are always changing. 

Sponsored Links