Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Provisional  (Read 1645 times)

• Liked: 250
Provisional
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:46:39 AM »
Hi everyone,

I filled in the online application form for my provisional application. They need more of my documents to be mailed in via a paper application. This is fine, I knew that I'd need to mail my BRP since I don't have a UK passport. But they said they're experiencing some delays due to smaller staff and social distancing, so apps might take longer if they're done in person. I'm hoping to go home for Christmas, (in Louisiana) so obviously I need my BRP. Does anyone know how long the delays are? I tried to call the DVLA directly and their automated phone service just said "We are experiencing a high call volume please try again later" and then hung up on me. So I'm just paranoid, my BRP needs to be back to me by the time my flight leaves. (keep in mind, my flight has not been booked yet because I need to renew my passport so I am doing that next week and hoping by Nov I can book tickets with a new passport) but the flight will be, well, around Christmas (granted things/restrictions with covid stay the way they are)

I might be over panicking, it's only 2 October. But still. I'm also going to be sending my passport out for renewal, so having both my big ID docs out and about right before I am planning an international trip is nerve-wracking but it has to be done, and I planned to get my provisional before I planned to go to the US. So am I panicking for no reason? Orrrr should I be worried?
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

Re: Provisional
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »
Hi all, nevermind I figured it out thanks :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 12:22:01 PM »
I believe it’s about 6 months wait!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
Can confirm... do not give them documents that you need for travel.  Once your documents get there, they could sit in the mailroom (unsorted, and therefore unable to be located to be returned), for a very long time.

That is to say, the incoming mail is backed up there, so it'll just all sit there for weeks (months?) making its way through the mailroom queue to be identified and sorted before being sent to the queue for provisional licence processing.  They don't know what's in the mailroom queue until it gets to the sorting stage, so they can't just pull yours and send it back if you change your mind and want it back.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 10:05:23 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »
It is a 2.5 months wait for paper applications right now according to the DVLA's website. I want my license...but as I want to travel in February (I know it's 4 months away) but I am too nervous to risk it. Might try in March once we return from the US and I have no plans to travel. At the end of the day, I really need some UK ID and a provisional to get my driving test done.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 11:29:40 AM »
Hi all, does anyone have an update on this? Posted my BRP off about 10 days ago and just wondering what the current timescales are for paper applications as of Jan 2022!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 12:08:23 PM »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the great answers! It seems to say as well you can drive while you wait if you meet certain criteria...but doesn't seem if you have a US licence...let us know if anyone has heard otherwise?

You have held a valid driving licence (see
*below) and only drive vehicles you have
applied for on your current application and
were entitled to drive on your previous licence.
* this licence can be a full GB licence,
a GB provisional licence, a European
Community licence, a Northern Ireland
licence, a British external/British Forces
licence or an exchangeable licence.

newcomer link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/695575/inf188x6-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf [nonactive]

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 05:22:22 PM »
Thanks for the great answers! It seems to say as well you can drive while you wait if you meet certain criteria...but doesn't seem if you have a US licence...let us know if anyone has heard otherwise?

You have held a valid driving licence (see
*below) and only drive vehicles you have
applied for on your current application and
were entitled to drive on your previous licence.
* this licence can be a full GB licence,
a GB provisional licence, a European
Community licence, a Northern Ireland
licence, a British external/British Forces
licence or an exchangeable licence.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/695575/inf188x6-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf
You can only drive on a US licence for the first 12 months of your residency in the UK.

Once 12 months have passed, your US licence becomes invalid for driving in the U.K. and so you need either a full U.K. licence or a provisional U.K. licence in order to continue driving.

However, if you only have a provisional U.K. licence you are restricted to learner driver rules, including:
- you must display red L plates on the car at all times while driving
- you must be accompanied at all times by someone over 21 who has held a U.K. licence for at least 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 12:26:48 AM »
It is a 2.5 months wait for paper applications right now according to the DVLA's website. I want my license...but as I want to travel in February (I know it's 4 months away) but I am too nervous to risk it. Might try in March once we return from the US and I have no plans to travel. At the end of the day, I really need some UK ID and a provisional to get my driving test done.

Hi All,

Just wondering how long is the wait now or has anyone successfully received their provisional license sooner than what the dates said.

I have done my application online and they’ve sent me a letter I have to sent in my application with my original BRP card.  I am due to travel to Italy for work  in the end of May.  I am just wondering if I did send it next week if I am going to be able to receive my BRP card back in time. 

If I don’t get my BRP card back in time, are there any options when I come back to the Uk for work ? I just really need to start driving soon 😭
Met UK Hubby : August 2011
Married : July 2017

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 08:39:39 AM »
Currently on applications from March 1st. I wouldn’t risk it yet.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update#processing-dates-for-paper-applications

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 09:11:51 AM »
Currently on applications from March 1st. I wouldn’t risk it yet.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update#processing-dates-for-paper-applications

Yes I think I will just wait until I get back probably the first week of June  :( :(
Met UK Hubby : August 2011
Married : July 2017

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
Yes I think I will just wait until I get back probably the first week of June  :( :(

Definitely best to wait until you have no travel planned!

Sponsored Links