Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mobile Deposit  (Read 1875 times)

• Liked: 45
Mobile Deposit
« on: October 04, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »
Since my U.S. Bank had merged and hence created a new app I'm unable to to make a mobile check deposit. Although able to download the app via the U.S. app store, the camera option just isn't there to activate so as to photograph a check from within my phone settings. Tried VPN, turned off 4G etc, all to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems and maybe were able to resolve?

Thanks

• Liked: 718
Re: Mobile Deposit
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 10:44:09 AM »
Not had this problem, my bank's mobile app check deposit still works. (HSBC USA)

When I select check deposit and get to the point of needing to photo front and back the phone asks me to give permission for the app to use the camera. (iPhone)

I would suggest contacting your bank's tech support if you can't figure out how to give the app permission to use your phone's camera.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »
The problem is the camera option is not available on my iPhone settings. It's not a case of allowing the app permission to use the camera. I suspect that the option has been removed for overseas users'. A number of banks have disallow mobile check deposit from overseas. Suspect geolocation...

The old bank app worked fine (SunTrust) and the camera option remains available in the iPhone settings. It's just that app is now retired.

Anyone else use Truist, (old SunTrust and BB&T)?

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
The problem is the camera option is not available on my iPhone settings. It's not a case of allowing the app permission to use the camera. I suspect that the option has been removed for overseas users'. A number of banks have disallow mobile check deposit from overseas. Suspect geolocation...

The old bank app worked fine (SunTrust) and the camera option remains available in the iPhone settings. It's just that app is now retired.

Anyone else use Truist, (old SunTrust and BB&T)?

What do their tech support say, or are they also not  available?

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 05:03:29 PM »
What do their tech support say, or are they also not  available?

They may as well be unavailable. Nearly two hours, first chatting with 1st line support and their forlorn attempt to tell me my camera is broken despite it working perfectly. Level two support did discuss the ‘overseas’ issue and restrictions placed on what you can and can’t do. Ultimately, they put it down to being unable to use the mobile deposit feature while outside the U.S. Maybe this is the start of domestic FACTA restrictions, (should it become law).
I did download the HSBC (U.S.) app and the camera option was not in settings either. If you have the app already, you may update… BUT if you delete and then download again the camera option MAY have gone. Perhaps this is the bus that you can’t get back on again. Checking Stateside, all works as it should on both iOS and Android.
I’m going to ask a friend in the U.K. with an Apple phone to download the Truist app and then see if the camera is in settings, good thing you don’t need to log in to test the theory. This will be definitive as to if I restore my phone or not.  Maybe an iOS 15 issue, but this can be checked too.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 07:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the warning if I should ever need to redownload the HSBC app. As you can see, in settings it has access to the phone

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »
I only downloaded the app for my US credit union early this year so I could deposit my paper stimulus check.  I had to use a VPN to change my phone's location to the US so I could download the app from the US Play store, but once I had the app installed photo-deposit worked perfectly.  There was no issue with camera availability.  I just needed to change things to get the app.

I know you already have the app so your issue is different, but have you considered a VPN to see if that helps?  I use Mozilla VPN when I need it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »
I only downloaded the app for my US credit union early this year so I could deposit my paper stimulus check.  I had to use a VPN to change my phone's location to the US so I could download the app from the US Play store, but once I had the app installed photo-deposit worked perfectly.  There was no issue with camera availability.  I just needed to change things to get the app.

I know you already have the app so your issue is different, but have you considered a VPN to see if that helps?  I use Mozilla VPN when I need it.

I had changed my location via the App Store to my U.S. address, so was able to download ok, (would not even show as available via the U.K. store). Interestingly the old banks app would download fine from the U.K store. I have indeed tried a VPN, not only to download the app, but also whilst logging on. I've checked the logs and it shows me in the U.S., so at least the VPN works ok, (Surfshark).

I seem to be rather isolated as friends and family have Android devices. The next step is to see if I can download to another iPhone. Then at least I can rule out the phone or app.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »
To update:
I had to delete the app, connect via a static ip in NYC and then download the app again. Log in (still using the static ip) and hey presto, the camera option was there. Once I disconnected and tried again, the camera option was no longer available until I again used that same ip address. Dynamic ip's would not work, as they likely have a listing of known VPN's. It's like trying to get BBC iPlayer from the U.S., the BBC eventually cotton on to VPN address and disable the connection,

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab