Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Social Security  (Read 1902 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Spousal Social Security
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 10:55:04 AM »
Just a one year. I think we went over (on the joint £170,000 coverage) a ways last year and moved some money out of the account. They ask us every year what we want to do with the money.

Back to looking things up again since I need to send this in before the end of the month.....

I know you want to file on paper but so as to reduce any pressure, do remember that you have online filing as a fallback (deadline Jan 31st 22) I swore up and down I'd never do online tax returns, at least not until they forced me, but because of Covid I started and found I really quite liked it!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »
I know you want to file on paper but so as to reduce any pressure, do remember that you have online filing as a fallback (deadline Jan 31st 22) I swore up and down I'd never do online tax returns, at least not until they forced me, but because of Covid I started and found I really quite liked it!
Yeah, I know you can do online. I just didn't want to go through the extra step of applying (however you do that) to get the info so you can do it online. Once I've done this assessment once, I don't think it will be an issue.

I had to do my US taxes on paper this last year since TurboTax doesn't like me any more (no US address etc etc). Found it wasn't so bad doing it on paper. Although.....IRS took £1300 out from what I think they owed me.....and all  they put on the IRS site is they did it for unpaid taxes....which since my phone program doesn't allow me to make overseas calls I've never been able to figure WHY.
Fred

• Liked: 716
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
As to spousal SS I think your wife is eligible and you need to start now. My wife applied in April and it is still in progress.

See my thread on the whole process. The FBU is the London US embassy we’re excellent. It has ground to a halt when the application was handed over to the SSA in July.

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=99441.0
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Yeah, I know you can do online. I just didn't want to go through the extra step of applying (however you do that) to get the info so you can do it online. Once I've done this assessment once, I don't think it will be an issue.

I did it the other way around by contacting them first to open an account before filing on paper. It was useful as you can see the date online that they log your return as being received, although there is up to a weeks delay before that information posts!

Here's the link anyway. https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »
Thanks. Turns out I'm a complete idiot. Found the statement that had the correct % amount. Sometimes I scare myself......
Fred

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »
Found the statement that had the correct % amount.

Excellent!  :)

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
As to spousal SS I think your wife is eligible and you need to start now. My wife applied in April and it is still in progress.

See my thread on the whole process. The FBU is the London US embassy we’re excellent. It has ground to a halt when the application was handed over to the SSA in July.

Thanks, i'll go back and look. Although, when I started my SS application 2 years ago it was a lot simpler/faster than what you went through.....maybe I got lucky.
Fred

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »

But....as far as you know.....even though my wife does not have US citizenship (although has a tax number) she is still eligible for a portion of my SS payment?
Fred

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
Thanks, i'll go back and look. Although, when I started my SS application 2 years ago it was a lot simpler/faster than what you went through.....maybe I got lucky.

I think staff shortages due to Covid may have a lot to do with the delays at present, and maybe more folks are filing early rather than waiting due to Covid.  I read a recent article in the USA that said many folks who planned to work a few more years have realized that they can manage with a lot less than they thought, or have realized how much they hated the daily commute so have retired before full retirement age.

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »
I did finally get hold of the Post Office savings about why I can't see anything on their site. Girl said it did seem strange. I just asked her to send me anything she could about any possible interest from them.....so I have to wait another 3-5 days for that info to come. Ifffff I have calculated correctly....taking 50% off bank/bond interest since everything is in both our names.....

SS                                      £14714.54
Lloyds                               £153.16
Investec                            £1238.66
Post Office  (big guess) £300??

Total          £16406.36

Minus marriage allowance £1250
Minus tax free interest        £1000

"real"        Total       £14156.36
Minus Personal Allowance   £12570

Money I owe tax on                £1586.36 which comes out to about £317??? 
Fred

• Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »

Fred,
I agree with Larrabee that it's a good idea to file online. 
You simply fill in the numbers for each type of income and HMRC prints out the calculation. You can see exactly what you owe.  And, you can later log into your account to see when any payments have been received.
Tina

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »

Fred,
I agree with Larrabee that it's a good idea to file online. 
You simply fill in the numbers for each type of income and HMRC prints out the calculation. You can see exactly what you owe.  And, you can later log into your account to see when any payments have been received.
Tina

I agree.  I also helped my wife's sister file online a couple of times, it really is pretty straightforward.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2021, 01:39:44 PM »
ok...ok.....now I'll go back and see what I have to do. I just remember I had to apply for a number? that had to be sent back to me before I could even start the process.
Fred

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
ok...ok.....now I'll go back and see what I have to do. I just remember I had to apply for a number? that had to be sent back to me before I could even start the process.

Correct, and you need to apply NOW as it takes several weeks. Once you have your number you have it for life. (UTR - Unique Taxpayer Reference)

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/self-employed

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »
Correct, and you need to apply NOW as it takes several weeks. Once you have your number you have it for life. (UTR - Unique Taxpayer Reference)

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/self-employed

That's the self employed link, not self employed here.
https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/not-self-employed

Sponsored Links