Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Social Security  (Read 1935 times)

• Liked: 718
Re: Spousal Social Security
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 04:00:31 PM »
That's the self employed link, not self employed here.
https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/not-self-employed

Thanks for that. Fred is confused enough without me adding to his problems :)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 06:49:10 PM »
I just need a UTR? I thought it was another application I had to send in to get something-or-another just for doing online taxes. I already have my UTR.....months ago I did that.
Fred

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
I just need a UTR? I thought it was another application I had to send in to get something-or-another just for doing online taxes. I already have my UTR.....months ago I did that.

Then you are all set. Log onto your HMRC gateway account and navigate to where you can start a self assessment. You don’t even need a NINO to file a self assessment, it is an optional field.

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2021, 07:15:42 PM »
Well I might give it a try then.....I was told by the tax folks that I needed to apply for something else, maybe they thought I hadn't requested the UTR yet. I still have to wait until next week to see what the Irish girl sent me from the Post Office savings (based in Ireland). At least I could easily understand her. The previous phone call had been to Investec which connected me to an asian/Indian lady.....I just don't hear the Asian accent very often and I have a heck of time understanding what they are saying. But then again, when I moved back to this area in 2004 I was living out next to Pateley Bridge and there were a couple of older farmers I would occasionally talk to.....who had a heavy Yorkshire accent.....jeez that was tough.
Fred

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:23 PM »
Well I might give it a try then.....I was told by the tax folks that I needed to apply for something else, maybe they thought I hadn't requested the UTR yet. I still have to wait until next week to see what the Irish girl sent me from the Post Office savings (based in Ireland). At least I could easily understand her. The previous phone call had been to Investec which connected me to an asian/Indian lady.....I just don't hear the Asian accent very often and I have a heck of time understanding what they are saying. But then again, when I moved back to this area in 2004 I was living out next to Pateley Bridge and there were a couple of older farmers I would occasionally talk to.....who had a heavy Yorkshire accent.....jeez that was tough.

It’s easy to see if you need anything else. Log onto your HMRC gateway account and attempt to start a self assessment. You don’t have to complete it, you can delete  a return and start again etc. But  that will show if you need any other info.

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
It’s easy to see if you need anything else. Log onto your HMRC gateway account and attempt to start a self assessment. You don’t have to complete it, you can delete  a return and start again etc. But  that will show if you need any other info.
Well, just looked at the sign up part of the site. Doesn't look like I can do it. It states that if I didn't do a return last year I needed to sign up by 5 Oct. Also, looks like I would have to register and then wait to get an activation code in the mail.
Fred

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 10:20:23 AM »
Well, just looked at the sign up part of the site. Doesn't look like I can do it. It states that if I didn't do a return last year I needed to sign up by 5 Oct. Also, looks like I would have to register and then wait to get an activation code in the mail.

It looks like you should have done it by then either way?

.Register if you're not self-employed

If you have to send a tax return and did not send one last year, you need to register for Self Assessment by 5 October.

If you have not filed online before
Register using form SA1.
After you register, you’ll receive your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number in the post within 10 working days (21 if you’re abroad).
Create your online account.
You’ll get an activation code for your new account in the post within 7 working days of signing up (21 if you’re abroad). When you get the code, sign in to send your return.

You can replace an activation code if you do not receive it or you lose it.
Once you’ve activated your account, you can file your tax return any time.

If you’ve filed online before
Sign in to your existing account.

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/not-self-employed

Yes, here it is.

Self Assessment   Deadline
Register for Self Assessment if you’re self-employed or a sole trader, not self-employed, or registering a partner or partnership   5 October 2021
Paper tax returns   Midnight 31 October 2021
Online tax returns   Midnight 31 January 2022
Pay the tax you owe   Midnight 31 January 2022

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines

In your position I would give them a call to ask what they advise (you won't be the first person in this situation) and meanwhile prepare to send the return on paper this time by the Oct 31st deadline (make sure you send it by a method which provides proof of delivery) and  research how to pay any tax due by the 31st of Jan. https://www.gov.uk/pay-self-assessment-tax-bill Not paying on time is when the fines start!

Then get on with registering for your online account.
Getting the activation code in the mail was just part of the process when I signed up, looks like it's still the same. It's not a big deal, it's just for security reasons.

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
Jeez.....that was a confusing phone (at least for me) call to the HMRC. They did confirm that I would have to do a paper self assessment for 20-21. They also said I was supposed to get a temp? national insurance number with what they had sent (sent a UTR, nothing else...although if they were supposed to send a national insurance number, why would I need a UTR?).....the lady had the number in front of her but couldn't tell me, so she is sending it to me but it could take a gazillion weeks to get to me. Basically what we decided was just to do the best I can once that paperwork I'm waiting for from Post Office savings gets here this week (I hope).....if that doesn't have anything intelligent on it I'll have to do a good guess to complete the form. Also, she said all paperwork assessments should be done by the end of Dec, so if things are bullocks they will probably give me a call. If I haven't heard anything from them by the end of December I should give them a call since any taxes owed needed to be paid the end of Jan?
Fred

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2021, 03:03:09 PM »
Personally I would just get on with filing a paper return ASAP.  Make my best estimate at what interest I have received and if it is wrong fix it later, better that than get hit with late filing fees. How much tax could you owe anyway on any mistake on the interest ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 03:06:12 PM by durhamlad »

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2021, 03:23:45 PM »
Personally I would just get on with filing a paper return ASAP.  Make my best estimate at what interest I have received and if it is wrong fix it later, better that than get hit with late filing fees. How much tax could you owe anyway on any mistake on the interest ?
I'm just waiting for the paperwork from The Post Office savings (Ireland based) which the girl said would be here this week. If it doesn't come by Friday I'll crank something out and give it a guess and post it off super duper delivery. My last estimate was I might owe about £317. Thanks to that call this morning.....I found out I couldn't just claim a marriage allowance for my wife, that had to be applied for ahead of time as well. Supposedly she put notes in my file to cover that.....she had to talk to my wife before that happened. In another couple of years I probably won't be able to use that since my wife will start getting enough money to move her up towards the tax free threshold. Probably saves me a little over £200 a year on my taxes though......
Fred

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »
I'm constantly fairly impressed with the UK tax folks. After that call I made a few days ago (also concerning the marriage allowance), a day or two later another lady called me concerning the marriage allowance. Added that onto my account to use the next couple of years after talking to my wife again. She also asked again about my not having a Nat Health number and just a UTR. Zing.......that came in the mail today.....zing. So now I have a Nat Health number. That other paperwork came from The Post Office savings.....showing nothing. I'm sure I had some interest, but if they aren't showing anything I'm just not going to put anything on the self assessment concerning that account. At least I can now go back through the assessment and finish it up and get it mailed on Monday.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Fred

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »
I'm constantly fairly impressed with the UK tax folks. After that call I made a few days ago (also concerning the marriage allowance), a day or two later another lady called me concerning the marriage allowance. Added that onto my account to use the next couple of years after talking to my wife again. She also asked again about my not having a Nat Health number and just a UTR. Zing.......that came in the mail today.....zing. So now I have a Nat Health number. That other paperwork came from The Post Office savings.....showing nothing. I'm sure I had some interest, but if they aren't showing anything I'm just not going to put anything on the self assessment concerning that account. At least I can now go back through the assessment and finish it up and get it mailed on Monday.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

That is excellent.  Well done.

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
Crunch time and I'm starting to get antsy. Thought I was ready to print and fill out final SA100 form. There is spot for foreign income...I guess I need to include my US Govt pension (only taxed in the US) and my Social Security (only taxed in the UK). I guess under any other information at the end of the form I mention how much each is and how each is taxed, although it looks like I have to add both of them up for total foreign income.

I also assume I am filing as Arising Basis, not Remittance?
Fred

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 04:16:10 PM »
Crunch time and I'm starting to get antsy. Thought I was ready to print and fill out final SA100 form. There is spot for foreign income...I guess I need to include my US Govt pension (only taxed in the US) and my Social Security (only taxed in the UK). I guess under any other information at the end of the form I mention how much each is and how each is taxed, although it looks like I have to add both of them up for total foreign income.

I also assume I am filing as Arising Basis, not Remittance?

Yes to the arising basis.

I would not put your US Govt Pension down as foreign income  as it will get taxed. Instead I would list it in the comments section and state that, per the treaty,  it is only taxed in the USA.  Your SS should be listed as foreign  pension in the section on “overseas pensions, Social Security and royalties “
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 04:19:42 PM by durhamlad »

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2021, 07:25:41 PM »
Sent the self assessment in a week or so ago........bloody hell....wouldn't you know it. A few days after sending it in....The Post Office (which had sent me a letter stating NO interest)....sends another letter stating I have interest.....damn. So.......an amendment to the taxes already sent in yesterday.

Also....my wife took the first self assessment to the local post office and sent it in first class with signature......took 4 days to get there. 4 days!!!
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab