Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Social Security  (Read 1936 times)

• Liked: 719
Re: Spousal Social Security
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »
Sent the self assessment in a week or so ago........bloody hell....wouldn't you know it. A few days after sending it in....The Post Office (which had sent me a letter stating NO interest)....sends another letter stating I have interest.....damn. So.......an amendment to the taxes already sent in yesterday.

Also....my wife took the first self assessment to the local post office and sent it in first class with signature......took 4 days to get there. 4 days!!!

Filing online will save all this angst over 4 days to post it in.   :)  Relax already.

This last month  I have been tracking tax documents I sent to Sacramento California. It took 3 days for the Post Office to get it to San Francisco and it has been 3 weeks bouncing around the USPS’s sorting offices (I get an email every time it moves). Today  it left the Sacramento sorting office on route to its final destination.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 55
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »
This last month  I have been tracking tax documents I sent to Sacramento California. It took 3 days for the Post Office to get it to San Francisco and it has been 3 weeks bouncing around the USPS’s sorting offices (I get an email every time it moves). Today  it left the Sacramento sorting office on route to its final destination.

The challenge I frequently face is no matter even when you get an acknowledgment of when the IRS has received a document (even with proof of delivery - a signature!) there's no evidence of when or if anyone will look at it - I have a similar experience with Social Security.

I sent a tome of documents to the IRS by Fedex in March 2020 ( for a 2017 examination inquiry - yep, don't go there!) - signed for and yet they lost it!

My 2019 1040 was delivered by Fedex in February & signed for - but when I call - the agent response is there's nothing on file yet!

3 letters over 18 months to SS in Baltimore concerning an error on my SS record - last letter sent Fedex and signed for - no response. It's now been taken up for me by the very helpful folks at the FBU in London!

• Liked: 719
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »
The challenge I frequently face is no matter even when you get an acknowledgment of when the IRS has received a document (even with proof of delivery - a signature!) there's no evidence of when or if anyone will look at it - I have a similar experience with Social Security.

I sent a tome of documents to the IRS by Fedex in March 2020 ( for a 2017 examination inquiry - yep, don't go there!) - signed for and yet they lost it!

My 2019 1040 was delivered by Fedex in February & signed for - but when I call - the agent response is there's nothing on file yet!

3 letters over 18 months to SS in Baltimore concerning an error on my SS record - last letter sent Fedex and signed for - no response. It's now been taken up for me by the very helpful folks at the FBU in London!

I agree, so incredibly frustrating.  This year I had to paper file our 2020 tax return and after a few months I received a letter from the IRS requesting some documents as I had stupidly forgot to include paper copies of my 1099-Rs. I sent them via UPS and have a copy of the signed receipt but I have no idea if they have processed the return. I was owed a refund and applied it to next year's return. I wish I had requested it to be paid into our bank then at least I would know that the return had been processed. I've tried the "Check my refund" site but it can't find the return.  I guess I'll find out next year when I file with the assumption that last year's refund has been applied to 2021.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2021, 06:01:59 PM »
I just did a paper copy of last years return to the IRS. I was expecting quite a bit of money back.....I did, but minus $1300 for "past taxes due". Unless I call them (my phone tariff doesn't allow pverseas calls) I have no idea what I might have done wrong.
Fred

Sponsored Links