Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New Rules for Travel to the US  (Read 1602 times)

• Liked: 46
New Rules for Travel to the US
« on: November 06, 2021, 10:41:22 AM »
Hello you lovely people,

So husband (UKC) and I (USC) are trying to put plans in motion to fly back and see family in January for my sister’s wedding on the 14th.

The problem we’re running into is my husband has not been fully vaccinated yet. He’s booked for his first on Monday, and he’s tried to get in as a walk-in sooner only to be turned away so seems we can’t make it happen before Monday. Also seems the 8 weeks between doses in firm, and you can’t pick what you get so hoping for the single dose Janssen to be available soon is out of the question. Which means for our planned arrival date of 12th Jan he’ll be a few days shy of the 14 days after the last dose to be classed as fully vaccinated.

I didn’t think it was an issue at first, just meant he’d have to do the extra test 3-5 days after arrival and be expected to self-isolate for 7 days (which meant missing the wedding but at least he’d get to see family after before we head back to the U.K.). Now that I’m researching more on what we need for tests and vaccine proof, I’m starting to think he won’t meet the exception for being let in despite not having fully vaccinated status.

I know the presidential proclamation before allowed spouses of US citizens in prior to the 8th Nov changes, but with these new rules it seems the only spouse exceptions for those not fully vaccinated will be for US military.

Am I reading all of this right? The CDC’s exceptions don’t seem to extend to spouses of US citizens. If that’s the case then it is what it is—I just want to be sure I’m interpreting it correctly.

I’m starting to think he either fly in a few days after when he meets the 14 days or we somehow get very lucky by him getting that second dose a week sooner. 

Here’s the passage on the CDC site I’m referring to with the exceptions for the not fully vaccinated:

If you are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19, you will NOT be allowed to board a flight to the United States, unless you meet the criteria for an exception under the Proclamation and CDC’s Order.

Categories of noncitizen nonimmigrants that meet the criteria for an exception under the Proclamation and CDC’s Order include:

Persons on diplomatic or official foreign government travel
Children under 18 years of age
Persons with documented medical contraindications to receiving a COVID-19 vaccine
Participants in certain COVID-19 vaccine trials
Persons issued a humanitarian or emergency exception
Persons with valid visas [excluding B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourism) visas] who are citizens of a foreign country with limited COVID-19 vaccine availability
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or their spouses or children (under 18 years of age)
Sea crew members traveling with to a C-1 and D nonimmigrant visa
Persons whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, Secretary of Transportation, or Secretary of Homeland Security (or their designees)[\i]

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html#faq-exceptions

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:54:57 AM by Kay »
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 4993
Re: New Rules for Travel to the US
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »
I know the NHS will NOT give the second vaccine before 8 weeks. So I suspect you are up the creek.   :-\\\\

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 12:25:25 PM »
I know the NHS will NOT give the second vaccine before 8 weeks. So I suspect you are up the creek.   :-\\\\

That’s what I was afraid of. Think I was just hoping that maybe I read something wrong.  :-\\\\
I suppose worst case he’ll just have to miss the wedding and come a few days after me when he’s got the 14 days.

• Liked: 6116
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »
That’s what I was afraid of. Think I was just hoping that maybe I read something wrong.  :-\\\\
I suppose worst case he’ll just have to miss the wedding and come a few days after me when he’s got the 14 days.

I'm sorry it looks like he won't make the wedding but the silver lining has to be that at least he's going to be vaccinated now.  :)

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »
I'm sorry it looks like he won't make the wedding but the silver lining has to be that at least he's going to be vaccinated now.  :)

Oh yes! Very happy about that.  ;D

• Liked: 108
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 08:11:13 AM »
My wife tried to get a second dose after 6 weeks as we have a newborn and wanted everyone protected sooner. They turned her away. I'm telling you this in case you try elsewhere presuming the place you tried were just being too strict.

You could try nearer the time, lie, and don't take your card. But you'll need your card for proof as the NHS app might not update his details in time.

Edit: now I'm thinking about it, he'll just be given a new card which could work. Depends how he feels about lying to staff, though. There's a vaccine waiting for him at some point, not like he's stealing it. Just taking it two weeks sooner than planned.

Should have been vaccinated sooner.   :-\\\\
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 08:22:10 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 736
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 08:38:33 AM »
Timely reminder, need to move our vaccine cards to my wallet as we go get our 3rd dose tomorrow. We are in a mixed vaccine trial which is ending this week so we will give our last blood samples before getting a dose of Pfizer. Turns out our 2nd dose was Novavax so without the 3rd dose we won’t have a vaccine passport as Novavax is still not approved in the UK. Currently the NHS app only shows a single vaccine on the travel pass. (We had AZ as the first dose and it only shows that).

On the NHS app under medical records we are recorded as having had a second dose as part of a trial on April 20 so the jabs are recorded, and I would think that anyone who turns up for a jab will have their actual NHS record checked rather than rely on the card. 

We are expecting that after tomorrow our Covid travel pass finally shows good. Haven’t seen our daughter in California for over 2 years now.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 16
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 09:03:43 AM »
My wife tried to get a second dose after 6 weeks as we have a newborn and wanted everyone protected sooner. They turned her away. I'm telling you this in case you try elsewhere presuming the place you tried were just being too strict.

You could try nearer the time, lie, and don't take your card. But you'll need your card for proof as the NHS app might not update his details in time.

Edit: now I'm thinking about it, he'll just be given a new card which could work. Depends how he feels about lying to staff, though. There's a vaccine waiting for him at some point, not like he's stealing it. Just taking it two weeks sooner than planned.

They'll look you up by your birthdate and postcode to find your NHS number and vaccination record if you don't have your card to make sure you're getting the right vaccine (they'll also do this if you do have your card, just to make sure all the information matches).

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »

Yeah, I tried to talk to him about it getting it done ASAP, especially since it was looking like you’d have to be fully vaccinated to get in to the US for travel.

He went for his first jab this morning and decided to ask about getting the second one sooner than 8 weeks. No harm in asking, right? The lady he spoke to said they can’t do anything about the 8 week wait but suggested he get in touch with his GP and see what they can do.

Didn’t expect anything from it, but he explained his situation and the GP said that’s fine and booked him in sooner. :D So looks like he might make the wedding after all!

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 02:54:44 PM »
Great news!

• Liked: 6116