Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So.... Any nurses here? Any help appreciated!  (Read 2118 times)

• I can see the stars from America....
  • Liked: 1
So.... Any nurses here? Any help appreciated!
« on: November 09, 2021, 06:09:40 AM »
Hello! I'm a new member, and while my heart is set to live in the UK, I have some questions since some of the immigration websites confuse me. I'm really intimidated and nervous, and I'd really like some encouragement. Or answers. Or something. You don't have to even be a nurse, anything helps ^^'
(NOTE:, I know nurses get paid less in the UK than in the US, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice!)

1. First off, how hard is a sponsorship to find? Bonus points if you have experience with a nursing sponsorship. I know nursing in the UK is in HIGH demand, but I'm still intimidated that someone won't pick me because I'm international and that costs sponsorship money. I don't know, I just want reassurance that it can be done. I'm planning on applying in multiple locations in case, but I'm still scared.

2. For nurses specifically: How long did your NMC process take and then your skilled worker visa process? Essentially, how long did it take from you starting the application to arriving in the UK?

3. Another nurse question: Did you apply directly to job positions or did you use a recruitment agency? If you used an agency, who did you go with? I've heard many mixed reviews of recruitment agencies, so if you have a reliable one, I'm all ears.

Finally, does anyone have any advice or encouragement? I'm a compulsive over-planner, and despite my best efforts, I feel hopeless at times. This is all I want, and I'll do whatever it takes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:16:10 AM by ashtober »
Ash || 20 || Nursing Student
"and if I had to walk the world, I'd make you fall for me..."

• Liked: 6110
Re: So.... Any nurses here? Any help appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 06:21:40 AM »
I know we have a few nurses on the forum. Hopefully @nurseheidi will pop in to answer some of your questions.  :)

This post does address some of them but as it's a few years old, things will have changed a bit since then.https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=90824.msg1178303#msg1178303

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »
Safe to assume you were who i sent over from Reddit?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 12:54:44 AM »
Yep, that's me! I'm here from Reddit :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
My words of encouragement:  Nursing is in very high demand, so you picked an excellent career for getting a work visa to the UK.  I don't know how much nurses earn in the US and the UK, so I can't speak to salary, but I think you'll have plenty of work available.

Check that, I now know that newly-qualified nurses start in Pay Band 5, which is "over £25,000 a year".  https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/we-are-the-nhs/nursing-careers  In USD terms, that's ~$33,700.  I still don't know what a US nurse makes, though.

Anyway, best of luck.  I'm sure you will find all the information you need, and when it comes time to do your application, there are some really knowledgeable and helpful people in this forum who will help guide you through.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 07:53:17 PM »
Hiya,
I've been here in the UK over 22 years now  . so when I came as a RN it was easy peasy.. Bit more difficult now.. You have to register with the NMC to start with.
 https://www.nmc.org.uk/contact-us/phone-numbers-and-email-addresses/overseas-registration/ will give you some info .. I suggest you also join the American Nurses in the UK Facebook group..
Folks in there at all stages .. from wanting to come and work in the UK , to folks like me who have been here forever lolol.. So lots of good info that is current.. will give you an idea of the hoops to jump through.. Hope this helps.. :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »
@Aquila may be of help as well

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 04:29:38 AM »
Thank you guys for all of your responses! :D And I joined that facebook group, hoping they accept me soon :D

• Liked: 387
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »
Is there a particular reason why you are pursuing the work visa route instead of the family route?  Each route has pros and cons, and if you haven't looked into the family route yet, I suggest having a look to make sure that's not a more preferable path for you.  (there's no right/wrong answer; if you're set on getting sponsorship and a work visa, then by all means, totally go for it - just want to make sure you are aware of the other option considering you have a significant other in the UK) 

Sponsored Links