Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job Hunt Help  (Read 3225 times)

• Bo Selecta!!
  • Liked: 0
Job Hunt Help
« on: June 08, 2003, 03:07:51 AM »
Hello,

Pie is still looking for a job, but he does have an interview on Monday the 9th.  We have to go to East Croydon and we are having trouble working out a way to get there from London without having to pay through the nose.

Pie and Mash  [smiley=dizzy2.gif]  
...We're not bad people.;D

Re: Look here!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 03:22:31 AM »
Hello,

Pie is still looking for a job, but he does have an interview on Monday the 9th.  We have to go to East Croydon and we are having trouble working out a way to get there from London without having to pay through the nose.

Pie and Mash  [smiley=dizzy2.gif]  

London Bridge or Farringdon stations are the easiest way to get to East Croydon, it's just a couple of stops away.  When Elle and I went to Croydon we stayed at a hotel and went the next morning.  Let me warn you now, even if you get to the offices early you'll be waiting a long time, we got in the queue about 7am and still didn't get out of the offices till 5pm just as they were shutting!!

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 02:42:38 AM »
Thanks...we don't need to go to the home office, though.  Just need to go to a job interview in East Croydon.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 12:51:13 AM »
Good luck on the interview.  I've seen East Croydon first hand and I don't envy anyone being there for more than a day, let alone working there!  But I'm a little biast in my view of Croydon.

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 05:37:40 AM »
Well, luckily just the interview was in East Croydon.

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 02:17:19 AM »
Hello, :D

Well, Pie hasn't heard back about the interview yet.  We went to the Job Centre today and found a few good jobs...just have to wait and see.

P.S.
U know, we're not really as bad as our karma would suggest.  ;D

• Bo Selecta!!
Re: Job Hunt Help
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 12:31:56 AM »
Hi,

Still looking for a job...have sent off some applications.
This job lark is a tough old game.  So far everyone seems to think Pie is either under-qualified or over-qualified...just can't win.  

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 01:20:59 AM »
What does Pie do?

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 01:35:09 AM »
Have you tried recruitment agencies? I've found them to be so helpful.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2003, 05:00:25 PM »
Hi,

I do PC desktop support and a little network administration.  I have three years experience, but no formal certifications, and I don't have the money to take any courses right now.

I've sent loads of CV's to recruitment agencies, applied for jobs in the paper and been to the Job Centre...but so far have had only one interview.  :'(

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 01:12:50 PM »
Hi there!!

How long have you been looking for a job? It took me 6 months to find a job when we were living in Scotland. l finally get a job then find out the only reason l was selected is because the other two wanted it.  :-/ Makes ya feel really good huh?  :D

When we came to NI, l came over here with a job that took 2 days to get, l applied and they received the application and then they called the next day! We moved and within 3 weeks of starting the job, was treated like crap by a supervisor. So instead of being stressed to the point of pulling my hair out l left.

The next 6 months l waited and searched again. Being passed over for a job time after time. I am now an expert on filling out applications!

l finally saw the Worktrack program that is a government program designed to get you back in the workforce. You have to be out of work for 6 months and you only work for this program for 6 months, then you are booted out of their lives. With the hope that with all the training you are receiving you will go straight into the work force with no problems. The thought behind some of this is, the fact that they say it's easier to get a job when you have a job.

l jumped on the chance of finally working! The pay is horrible, but it's pay. The only down side of this whole Worktrack experience is the fact that they treat you like you know absolutely NOTHING!! They are to "train" you on how to do most everything. "Now, this is how we take out garbage"  ;D

thank goodness l have a couple of applications out there and hopefully l will hear if l am shortlisted for interview soon. l just want a permanent job.

All the best to you in your job search!!

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 01:33:25 PM »
Thanks Trish.

We can't find anything like that on the job centre plus site. ???

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 08:21:26 PM »
:'(
I think at this point I'm just getting too darn fed up... What is it with this country.. Is it me? What am I doing that is so wrong? At the moment I am working; but through an agency. I'm working with good people so I'm not complaining about them. I think I am just getting fed up with the fact that I am not finding anything permanent. I'm working for what I think would be a good company to work for and so far I have applied for FIVE jobs permanently with this company and each time I have been turned down. It makes it hard for me to go into work there each day knowing or feeling like a complete IDIOT !!!! Today I was just in tears..  I gave up a good career and education in the US to come here and work as someones clerk. I had my own assistant back home so yes I admit my pride is getting to me. It makes me want back what I had before sometimes, and miss my home even more so; although I do love being here because my husband is here with me and I love him.
But, this agency thing is just getting the best of me. It's so saddening to apply and apply an apply only to get that letter in the mail saying "your unsuccessful". After countless interviews I'm just not sure what to think anymore, and it's so hard because I don't really have any one to really talk to about how down I am at the moment. After all the hard work I've done I feel like such a failure.  [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=wreck.gif]

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2003, 09:14:01 PM »
No, sticky_frog, rest assured it's not just you! I'll be very frank here, it's very hard to find a decent job in the UK. Even citizens have a hard time --- and it really puts a huge damper on your self-esteem.  :( Take it from me, I know... although I haven't yet worked there myself, I have witnessed the same frustrations you're feeling just watching my guy.

My guy has had a very hard time just finding steady work in his field (accounting), even though he is fully certified ... that's why he's decided to give America a try instead, because nothing's really happening for him so far in the UK -- and furthermore the pay is better in America, too! He had a permanent job for three years, but left when he realized his employer was sneakily paying him below the minimum wage for that job! [smiley=mean.gif] He feels he's already at a dead end, and he's only in his early 20's. It's been frustration after frustration for us, too.

He applies for jobs as often as he can, yet is unsuccessful almost all the time. He has accumulated an inch-thick booklet of rejection letters he keeps to remind himself of all his effort lost. No wonder he feels like it's just a waste of time even to apply... he has learned to expect rejection. The only work he's managed to find recently has been temp job after temp job.

Jobs are required to be listed by law EVEN AFTER they're already taken, which is very frustrating. How is anyone supposed to know if they're taken or not? My guy had just about had it the last time he applied for a permanent job. We were so elated when he finally got an interview. But on the morning of the interview, after he had gotten all dressed up and everything and was ready to go, a woman called him and rescheduled his appointment for the next week instead because the interviewer was "conveniently" taking a day off. Slightly frustrated, we decided not to let it get to us because at least it was rescheduled. Then, the morning of his NEW appointment, after he had gotten all dressed up again, the same woman called again and told him somebody had already taken the job, and told him not to bother coming. The same morning, an hour before his rescheduled interview!!!   [smiley=veryangry.gif] That's why I am still questioning if I want to move back to the UK after I finish my degree... will it even be worth it if they treat people like that??

So yes, I really do sympathize with your situation!!!  :(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 09:21:46 PM by sarah »

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2003, 10:53:09 PM »
The best advice I can offer you is to keep calm, keep your head up, and keep persisting. I just started my permenant job today. It took 10 months to get that sucker.

That was 10 months of using recruitment agencies, begging for permenant work, getting a temp to perm job that just didn't go through (at no fault of my own, may I add.) applying for flipping half the jobs in the county, being on a first name basis with every recruitment agent around and of course those darned letters "thank you for taking the interest, we had a good laugh.".

It's hard work, but keep it all up and you'll eventually get the job you've been looking for.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links