Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: USA SIM Card Recommendation?  (Read 1106 times)

• Liked: 7
USA SIM Card Recommendation?
« on: November 15, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »
Hi,

We are finally going back to the USA for Thanksgiving. Can anyone recommend a USA sim card that I can use just for the time we are there that has calls and data etc.

Amazon has many but they have mixed reviews...

Thanks,

• Liked: 107
Re: USA SIM Card Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »
Who is your UK provider?

I'm with EE and i was able to get my full plan (data minutes etc)
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 08:07:58 AM »
I guess that sim would be just for calling and getting calls from US people?   Like Ben said, lots of providers here like giffgaff will do free roaming in the us. 

• Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »
We used a 3 PAYG  SIM card - we ordered the SIM and then bought a 1 month package which gave us about 10GB of data to use while we were in the US.  It worked very well.  It also allows you to make and receive calls to the UK for free but not US to US.  This was convenient for us as we were staying with in-laws who don't have internet.

For calls within the US we used VOIP - in our case this was Skype - you can either use Skype credit and call directly from the Skype app,  or buy a local US  Skype number if you want people to be able to call you back at a specific number.  A US Skype number cost us $6 for 1 month.  You have to cancel 3 days before the next month starts if you don't want this to be a recurring charge.  We did try and use an esim from Airalo for a data package but had some mixed results - it didn't work on day 1 of our trip, and on a couple of days in the next two weeks it also stopped working.  In principle it is a good thing if your phone supports esim as you don't have to mess around with changing sim cards.  However.........I expect that it will get better as the technology becomes more mainstream.     

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab