Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Relocating from US to UK - moving company recommendations.  (Read 2558 times)

• Liked: 45
Relocating from US to UK - moving company recommendations.
« on: December 24, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
I'm a UK/US dual citizen and I've spent my working life in the USA. I'm lucky enough to have retired early and I'm financially independent. In recent years I've had tentative plans to return to the UK and they might well become firm in the next couple of years. I'm pretty mobile - in the US I have close friends and an ex-wife and in the UK I have family and some friends so the move will not involve the complications of spouses and children. My finances are entirely US based, but I will be getting a UK state pension, so there will be the usual issues with money transfers and keeping US bank accounts open for deposits. But to get things going I want to ask for advice about moving and international movers. I have a house with 30 years of stuff and furniture and I'd like to ship a lot of it. So any practical advice and experiences from people who have done that in the past would be great. I checked in with the following movers who seem to know what they are talking about:

Suddath Moving
Crown Relocations

I'd like to get some more recommendations and opinions, if you have them.

• Liked: 1
Re: Relocating from US to UK - moving company recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 01:14:01 AM »
I'm a UK/US dual citizen and I've spent my working life in the USA. I'm lucky enough to have retired early and I'm financially independent. In recent years I've had tentative plans to return to the UK and they might well become firm in the next couple of years. I'm pretty mobile - in the US I have close friends and an ex-wife and in the UK I have family and some friends so the move will not involve the complications of spouses and children. My finances are entirely US based, but I will be getting a UK state pension, so there will be the usual issues with money transfers and keeping US bank accounts open for deposits. But to get things going I want to ask for advice about moving and international movers. I have a house with 30 years of stuff and furniture and I'd like to ship a lot of it. So any practical advice and experiences from people who have done that in the past would be great. I checked in with the following movers who seem to know what they are talking about:

Suddath Moving
Crown Relocations

I'd like to get some more recommendations and opinions, if you have them.

I see you didn't get any replies, but I was wondering who you ended up choosing. I am also looking, for a May move. I've had one quote - the company seems reliable but the price is a bit eye watering at 16,500 USD door to door for a 40ft container. But maybe that's realistic?

Edit: I've just seen your other thread with info, so feel free to ignore this :)

• Liked: 718
Re: Relocating from US to UK - moving company recommendations.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 01:51:14 PM »
We used United Van Lines when we moved from Texas to England in 2017. 20’ container $4,500.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab