Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TaxAct registration  (Read 1102 times)

• Liked: 3
TaxAct registration
« on: January 03, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
Some folks have mentioned they use TaxAct as international filers with good success.

I have just tried to register for an account, but it asks me for a phone number (for security and password recovery), however it requires a US phone number format, which I do not have.

How do people who use TaxAct get around this?

Many thanks

• Liked: 716
Re: TaxAct registration
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 09:10:53 PM »
I use a Skype US number. Costs about $50/year and works great. Others have suggested using Google Voice which is free I think.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 45
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 10:28:15 PM »
I use MagicJack, although they will email you a validation code. You just need a U.S. number initially to setup.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 06:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies! Will check these options out.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 06:48:26 AM »
So....you still have to find a work-around before you can use US online tax sites? Guess I do it by hand again this year.
Fred

• Liked: 716
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 08:37:24 AM »
So....you still have to find a work-around before you can use US online tax sites? Guess I do it by hand again this year.

Certainly seems that way. It’s one way of maximizing the fines from the IRS by making it very difficult to file your taxes.

Look on the bright side, people do puzzles and crosswords to keep their brains active, but US expats get to do that exercise by figuring  out our taxes every year.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 08:47:17 AM »
Give them a call, I’m sure they can work out an alternative method. Let us know how you get on.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:58:39 AM »
I have just tried to register for an account, but it asks me for a phone number (for security and password recovery), however it requires a US phone number format, which I do not have.

How do people who use TaxAct get around this?
I successfully used "(000) 000-0000" as my phone number when I first registered with TaxAct about nine years ago.  They haven't made me change it (yet).

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 01:41:05 PM »
I successfully used "(000) 000-0000" as my phone number when I first registered with TaxAct about nine years ago.  They haven't made me change it (yet).

Unfortunately it now looks like they require a mobile (cell) number for 2-factor authentication on registration so I'm not sure this will work, but thanks for the suggestion!

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 01:49:23 PM »

This is what I had originally thought and have done for years now by hand/paper. However, this year, it ended up with one of my forms being "damaged" on scan, leading the IRS to change my form without telling me, and me not receiving any refund and having to spend months chasing to find out. Therefore, I would strongly prefer to file electronically as this is far less likely to be an outcome if I e-file, and gets processed much more quickly (and hence I get a refund more quickly!).

Sympathise with your perspective though!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »
This is what I had originally thought and have done for years now by hand/paper. However, this year, it ended up with one of my forms being "damaged" on scan, leading the IRS to change my form without telling me, and me not receiving any refund and having to spend months chasing to find out. Therefore, I would strongly prefer to file electronically as this is far less likely to be an outcome if I e-file, and gets processed much more quickly (and hence I get a refund more quickly!).

Sympathise with your perspective though!
I used to use TurboTax....but for some reason my using my old phone number and address etc etc (which just isn't right.....always felt like I was cheating) didn't work any more. I got tired of trying to get around the system just to use the online tax preparers. I went to doing it by hand last year. I had a large chunk of money taken out of what I thought I had coming back to me. When checking online, it just said it was because of unpaid past taxes (so TurboTax got it wrong??)....no idea....and the only way I could check was to call them (which my phone plan doesn't allow). It is....what it is. I've no idea why it is so against the rules for someone living overseas to use these sites.......
Fred

• Liked: 12
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 06:06:14 PM »
Unfortunately it now looks like they require a mobile (cell) number for 2-factor authentication on registration so I'm not sure this will work, but thanks for the suggestion!
I just phoned TaxAct and they confirmed that you now need a US phone number to establish a new account.  They added that after account set-up/confirmation, the number is only likely to be needed for account recovery purposes rather than regular logging-in.  They also said that they've had a number of calls about this matter, and that if you don't have a US phone number, then to use a free online text service such as https://www.textnow.com/  or https://textfree.us/, both of which appear to have apps for iPhone and Android.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 06:23:42 PM »
I just phoned TaxAct and they confirmed that you now need a US phone number to establish a new account.  They added that after account set-up/confirmation, the number is only likely to be needed for account recovery purposes rather than regular logging-in.  They also said that they've had a number of calls about this matter, and that if you don't have a US phone number, then to use a free online text service such as https://www.textnow.com/  or https://textfree.us/, both of which appear to have apps for iPhone and Android.

Thanks for this! Good suggestions.

By way of an update, I have family in the US so asked someone if I could use their number. It did go through the step on registration where it texted a verification code to the mobile number I gave, however it also sent this to the registered email address (which defeats the purpose of 2-factor authentication...!), so actually I did not need that number to register in the end...

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »
Update - first impressions using TaxAct:

It has generally been OK to use, but a little discomforting that it directs you towards very specific US forms etc (as you might expect) where it is not obvious how at times to enter your non-US info. I struggled on this with Schedule A to enter my UK bank interest received.

It has also automatically calculated things which are not applicable and I need to change but cannot do this. For example, my wife is self-employed so I fill out Schedule C. This was fine, but then it calculates her social security tax owed, however due to her paying UK SS equivalent, there is an agreement in place which makes her exempt from paying this. However I cannot see that option on the software itself. It has also added the "Qualified Business Tax relief" which I wouldn't normally add, because of foreign self-employment, etc along with the previous point.

Also, it is unclear if I can upload and add a supportive schedule/cover letter explaining things like foreign tax carryover calculations, exchange rates used, etc.

Finally, if you want to talk about these "tax issues" to a Tax expert, then it looks as though you need a US phone number, which I don't have. I'd actually prefer to be able to ring them up to discuss but the only number seems for technical/software issues which I am not sure is going to get me anywhere.

Anyone with any prior experience on any of these nuanced issues? Also, can you e-file using "Free-file fillable forms"? Or is that paper only? Thanks in advance!

PS - can you put a bank account for the refund payment that is not in your own name? E.g. if I wanted the refund to go to a relative's US bank account and they can transfer me the money separately, rather than wait for a physical cheque?

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »
The system isn't ready to go, so some of your issues may stem from that. I'm trying to add:

'Prizes and awards' from the 'Miscellaneous - Amounts Received' section and it won't add to my gross income for 1116, although it does show correctly on the 1040. If I enter the same amount in to the 'Other Income' field and then delete the original line (''Prizes and awards') the gross is correctly reflected for 1116 and 1040. The system does say that 1116 is not yet complete, so this is likely my issue.

I'd expect that other 'bugs' maybe faced for a week or two until updates are made.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab