Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa For Me And My Son...  (Read 1003 times)

Visa For Me And My Son...
« on: June 12, 2003, 03:39:44 AM »
Sorry if this question has already been asked. Since my son is a minor (5 years old). Will he be able to be on my visa??? If so, do I only have to pay one fee for both of us? Also, what happens when he's not a minor are they going to send him back to America?

thanks,
Alzgirl ???

• Liked: 0
Re: Visa For Me And My Son...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 11:01:58 PM »
You should have seperate passports for both you and your son.  You can put minor children on your passport, but then you can never leave or enter a country without that child physically with you.  I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that you will need a seperate visa/entry clearance for both of you.  My son (he's 5) and I had to have seperate visas, and both had to pay the associated fees.  Our visas are Dependent of Work Permit Holder Entry Clearances - don't know if that makes a difference.

Stephanie

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 03:02:45 AM »
When I came over nearly five years ago, my son - who was 10 at the time - had his own passport and visa; we came in on a fiance visa.

I didn't think that the UK or the US allowed children to be listed on their parents passports anymore, but I could be wrong.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 07:50:04 PM »
If he has ILR he can stay as long as he likes as an adult. Though if he leaves the UK for more than 2 years he could lose his residency. Getting his citizenship would mean he is free to live in the US or UK whenever and for as long as he likes.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 03:17:05 AM »
I didn't think that the UK or the US allowed children to be listed on their parents passports anymore, but I could be wrong.

The US must still allow it, because a friend of mine was going to put her infant on her passport until I advised her to check into it a bit more.  This was just a few months ago.

Stephanie

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 05:10:13 PM »
Danidean14 - get a separate passport for your son.  You'll have to pay the same Fiancee Visa fee for him as you do for yourself and he'll get his own pretty sticker in his passport.  After you get here and get married, you then apply for the FLR (good for 2 years) on both your behalfs, and he'll get a stamp in his passport as well.  Works out well for you that he's so young, because he'll still be young enough for you to apply for citizenship for him after the requisite time (which used to be 3 years through marriage, but I'm not sure if they've changed that or not).  Then he'll have both a US and a UK passport and shouldn't have any trouble going back and forth once he's older.

Don't remember exactly your custody situation, but please be aware that you'll need the father's signature to get both the passport AND the Visa.  Unless you're the only name on the birth certificate (as in my case).  Otherwise, make sure you've got your ducks in a row on that.

Good luck!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab