Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A Job Interview!  (Read 1568 times)

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
  • Liked: 0
A Job Interview!
« on: January 11, 2005, 06:48:36 PM »
I'm so excited, and a bit nervous. I've spruced up my resume and have sent it out in response to a few job ads that I've seen.  I just got a call from one of the employers (direct w/ company; not through an agency) and they want me to come in for an interview on Friday morning!

I've been a full time house wife/mom for seven years!  Even if I don't land the job, I'm so thrilled that an employer thinks my background and experience warrants an interview.  It's for an administrative position and is only 30 minutes down the road from me.

My youngest is three, oldest almost seven, so I feel that we're all ready and would be able to cope.  I'd like to feel like I'm contributing to the family finances again.  Plus, a full time job would offer some benefits that would be very welcome right now.  My husband is self employed so we have some very painful bills for health insurance, etc.

Anyway, off to the closet to dust off my suits and jackets.  I hope they're not out of style  :o
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: A Job Interview!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 07:02:46 PM »
You'll have to change the title that's under your name if you get the job!   ;)  Good luck!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 07:10:43 PM »
Good luck! I have one tomorrow that I'm really nervous about!  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 07:29:56 PM »
Fantastic news.

Good luck to both of you (Kellie and Bal).

Please let us know how it goes.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 07:32:15 PM »

Good luck to both of you!   ;D

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 10:16:48 PM »
That's wonderful! Good Luck!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 10:26:32 PM »

Kellie....that is great news! Best of luck to you.  ;)

Relax and be yourself! Remember its a two way street and you are in a way interviewing them as well....to see if its something that you would really like to do!

Keep us posted..... :)

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 10:57:49 PM »
Kellie- Good Luck and remember what you have been doing for the last 7 years, director of Domestic Affairs, which more than qualifies you for this job you are going for

Hugs
Sheril.

PS) Ms Balmerhon- I don't know you at all (yet), but very best of British to you too :)

Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 12:15:32 AM »
Thanks everybody!!!  And Balmerhon, good luck to you, too; let us know how it goes.

In the past, I've never been nervous about interviews.  I'm not quiverring about this one, but just wondering if people will take me seriously after being out of work for so long. 

I contacted my former boss from my last job here in the US (I kept loose contact via email anyway) and asked if I could use him as a reference, and he said he'd be more than happy to.  So that's sorted...

I'm just  chuffed that I got the call.  If nothing else, it says that my qualifications are still valid.  That makes me feel really good!

I'll take everybody's advice, and see what Friday brings.   :D

Oh, and it's a good excuse to get a new pair of shoes to match my suit!
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 09:12:42 AM »
good luck!

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 08:09:52 PM »
Hello!  Since everybody was so kind and supportive, I thought I'd let you guys know how the interview went.

While I think it went well, it didn't have the "I nailed it" feel.  It turns out that they got 300 resumes in response to the ad on the Monster Job Site and have called in 20-25 people. 

They are looking for an administrative assistant who can work independently, make decisions and exchange ideas and opinions.  Specifically, not just somebody to answer phones.  So from that point of view, it sounds interesting and something that I'm qualified for.

However, I couldn't tell how the interviewer perceived me, or if they were concerned about me being a "mom returning back to work."  They are finishing their first round of interviews tomorrow, then they want to call back five or six people for a second interview and to meet the President of the company next week.

We'll see how it goes.  Regardless of the outcome, I'm extremely happy that I was called in given the response to the ad, and to have had the experience of interviewing again!

Balmerhon, how did your interview go? 
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 08:46:16 PM »
Good for you. Fingers crossed!

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 10:45:22 PM »
Sorry all... I didn't see all the well wishes until today!  :D Thanks!

The interview went well BUT the felt they hadn't got a very good response from their initial advert (in The Guardian). They ran it just before the holidays so I guess that's why. Anyway, they seem to be inclined to follow through on this second advert and see what else comes up.

That said, they are sending me as assignment (not an unusual thing in my field) to do at home.

It's really hard b/c I know I can do this job and I'd be a good fit. I know the art director liked me just fine. I also know they need a body asap as their current person leaves 3 Feb and I can start yesterday.

So, hopefully they'll make a decision soon. Meanwhile, I pull my hair out and go insane.  :-\\\\
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
Good luck.  I hope everything works out for you.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 11:38:08 PM »
Oh guys, I am hoping for the best for you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab