Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel to USA in Feb (understanding requirements)  (Read 1173 times)

• Liked: 387
Travel to USA in Feb (understanding requirements)
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:51:55 PM »
After a VERY long time, I'm finally headed to the US next month to see my family!!

I'm trying to wrap my head around what the current testing requirements are for travel between the countries, and from my research, I think this the current protocol? 

Background - Dual US/UK citizen, fully vaccinated (2 doses AZ) and boosted (Moderna). 

To fly to the USA:

1.  Must present proof of vaccination (NHS COVID pass, and I'll print out a an offline copy as well - just in case)

2.  Must have a negative test within 24 hours of travel.  My local pharmacy is offering rapid antigen "fit to fly" tests, with documentation available 2 hours after taking the test.  I've also read here that Qured is another option, with a supervised at-home test.  I presume either approach is acceptable. 

3.  Is it required to have a test after arrival in the US?  I've read that it is recommended, but it didn't appear to be a requirement?

To fly to the UK:

1.  Must present proof of vaccination (same as flying to the US).

2.  No requirement for pre-flight testing.

3. There is a requirement for post-arrival testing (Day 2), but no need to quarantine.  (I presume the post-arrival test must be a private one?)

Does this sound correct?  I understand that things can change any any moment, but assuming things stay the same for the next few weeks, I'm trying to make sure I have the current requirements noted.

TIA!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:57:42 PM by Aquila »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
Re: Travel to USA in Feb (understanding requirements)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:42:00 PM »
How exciting!

(Following post)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 728
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:37:48 AM »
I don’t know the answers but I wish you all the best and hope everything goes well. We hope to see our daughter in April, delayed again from our March plans. If we do all finally meet up in April it will have been 2 and a half years.

Looking forward to hearing good news about your trip.  :)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 108
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »
Hi Aquilla. I have some recent experience through the parent-in-laws (USC's).

To fly to USA

"1. Must present proof of vaccination (NHS COVID pass, and I'll print out a an offline copy as well - just in case)"

As a US citizen you do not need to provide proof of vaccination to fly into the US. This rule is only required for non-US travellers. However, you may need it for local shops, restaurants etc

"2.  Must have a negative test within 24 hours of travel.  My local pharmacy is offering rapid antigen "fit to fly" tests, with documentation available 2 hours after taking the test.  I've also read here that Qured is another option, with a supervised at-home test.  I presume either approach is acceptable. "

Yes you can also have a non-supervised test where you take at home. My parent-in-laws used Randox where you simply take a picture and they issue you the certificate 3 hours later. So, whatever is most convenient for you. I recommended Qured when testing was required to come back to the UK to save the headache of finding somewhere in the US to get a test. But that requirement has gone now.

"3.  Is it required to have a test after arrival in the US?  I've read that it is recommended, but it didn't appear to be a requirement?"

Not required.

To fly to UK

"1.  Must present proof of vaccination (same as flying to the US)."

Not required. You're asked in your Passenger Locator Form but not asked for proof.

"2.  No requirement for pre-flight testing."

Correct. Can change in a heartbeat, though. Check before flying back however I can't see it going back for a long time.

"3. There is a requirement for post-arrival testing (Day 2), but no need to quarantine.  (I presume the post-arrival test must be a private one?)"

Yes - it must be private test. As you're fully vaccinated you can have a PCR or a lateral flow test. You must purchase this before flying back to the UK. Once ordered, you are provided with a reference code which has to go into your passenger locator form. You can attend a walk-in test site such as Randox test centres but you must purchase/book it before flying back. My parent-in-laws booked before flying and attended a Randox walk-in immediately upon landing as it is UP TO 2 days after landing.

4. Passenger Locator Form

You need to fill this in per adult passenger before flying. When you attend check-in in USA you will be asked for this before flying back.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 31
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »
How exciting!  Glad you'll be able to see your family!

To fly to USA:

A self-test must be supervised.  Here's the wording from the CDC's website:

>>The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.<<

We went to the US for Christmas and used Qured.  The kit is £22 and the video consultation is an extra £7.

The US used to distinguish the timing of pre-departure tests between those who are vaccinated (3 days before flight) and unvaccinated (1 day before flight).  So you would have needed your NHS pass.  They changed the rules in response to Omicron so now everyone's test needs to be 1 day before the flight, regardless of vaccination status.  I would still bring your NHS pass with you as the rules might relax once Omicron passes its peak.

1 day means anytime the day before your flight.  So if you travel on a Tuesday you can get the test anytime Monday.

Travel back to UK:

You might want to bring a pre-departure test with you in case the UK reinstates the requirement for the test.  I doubt they will, but for £22 it's cheaper and easier than paying the US price and spending your time finding and attending an appointment.

You may want to bring some of the free NHS tests with you as well in case you or your family members are exposed.

Sponsored Links