Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: child's US passport application -- parents' names *at birth*??  (Read 1340 times)

• Liked: 0
child's US passport application -- parents' names *at birth*??
« on: January 18, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »
I am in the process of renewing my 11-year-old's US passport.  The application form asks for parents' names at birth. 

The issue for me is that my name was changed (at age 10) via adoption.  If I enter my name at birth, I will show up at the embassy with documents that don't match the name on the form.  The same is true for my son's mother -- she too changed her name.

Now, surely what I'm meant to do here is -- follow the instructions (enter name at birth).  But what then do I do about the mismatch of names?  There are no instructions about required documentation in circumstances of this sort.  I can probably find my own adoption order.  But I'm concerned about the fact that there's no clarification about it in the instructions; I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here.

This will be my son's third passport.  For the first two -- either the instruction was different (name *at birth*) is a new stipulation, or I misread the first two times (and was successful even so in getting the passport).

I'd be grateful for any insights here.  I'm tempted to simply use current names, so that the form matches the supporting documents -- but perhaps that's unwise. 

• Liked: 728
Re: child's US passport application -- parents' names *at birth*??
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 12:25:46 PM »
I don't know the answer for sure but a great many people have a different name at birth than they have today or on their passport.  I would not have thought it mattered too much as long as the birth certificate matches.  If the passport authority wanted to check on your credentials (e.g. born in the USA) how would they find your birth registration if you gave them your current name? It wouldn't do any harm to include a copy of your birth certificate if you are really concerned.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 05:26:33 PM »
Back from the embassy/consulate now.   I took two copies of the form -- one with name at (my) birth, one with current name.  I described the situation to the agent and offered her to choose the version of the form.  She chose the form with current names; she wanted the form to contain the names that matched the documentation pertaining to my son (the consular report of birth abroad).  In other words, she did not adhere strictly to the instructions for the form; she made a more sensible decision.

A good outcome, in the end. 

• Liked: 728
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 06:53:27 PM »
Back from the embassy/consulate now.   I took two copies of the form -- one with name at (my) birth, one with current name.  I described the situation to the agent and offered her to choose the version of the form.  She chose the form with current names; she wanted the form to contain the names that matched the documentation pertaining to my son (the consular report of birth abroad).  In other words, she did not adhere strictly to the instructions for the form; she made a more sensible decision.

A good outcome, in the end.

Good to hear, thanks for the update.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links