Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To move or not to move  (Read 5231 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: To move or not to move
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 08:29:52 PM »
>> I did work at a school once that used to somewhat regularly receive ultrasounds of foetuses that parents wanted to ‘get on the list.’
 :o

Hi physicskate, We dont mind anywhere within 1 hour train journey from central london. So we are looking at all good schools inside M25

• Liked: 170
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 07:49:38 AM »
Oh right - far far more competitive London way. So really, not even Home Counties (which is where a lot of boarding/ independents that would also have day students are…).

Can’t be of much help there, I’m afraid (clearly as my advice has turned out to be wrong!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2022, 11:22:43 AM »
Just an FYI, Tier 2 visas were retired with Brexit.  But fantastic that you don’t have to do an intracompany transfer and can be grated a skilled worker visa instead. Definitely a game changer!

I’m in the south and personally feel the rat race more here than in the USA if I’m honest. I think that’s part you because the work day starts and ends later.  And shops close early so you really can only get things done at the weekend.

Yes, it is easier to travel to Europe. Don’t interchange easier for cheaper though.  That’s a common misconception. We were looking at going away over a 3 day weekend and it’s £1200 to £1600 for flights and three nights hotel (basic) depending on where we go. That’s no baggage and no frills. But yes, you can go to European cities for a weekend, which you can’t do in the USA. Definitely with Covid, I’d caution having “easy travel” as a pro. I’ve seen a lot of immigrants very unhappy the last two years because they were going to do ALL the travelling but instead they’ve been stuck in strict lockdowns and huge fees for testing in the few times we’ve been able to travel.

And it would definitely be a shorter flight to India. No doubt!

I’d recommend looking at living in the north or Scotland. That definitely seems where people are happiest. Don’t live in the south like me. And you couldn’t pay me to live in London.  ;D

I know this thread is super old but I've only just gotten back on the forum today after not having a look for a long time and I just wanted to weigh in RE the quality of life stuff and how it can massively vary depending on numerous factors depending on the job you do, etc. -

I like in a town over from KF and my experience varies in that I have a really good work/life balance now working at a tech company about 30 minutes from home. This was NOT always the case (which KF will know as I have definitely spoken to her in the past about my previous jobs and how burnt out and stressed I was). In terms of the work/life balance and how happy you are, this can vary massively depending on numerous factors that mainly include your employer and how you - as a person - work (E.G. do you put pressure upon yourself to stay late and get everything done like I've done in the past even though nobody has asked?). Always plan for the worse, but it's hard to be able to comment on how your life will be without really knowing your company and your company's policies.

Equally - I have friends that live further up north that love it there in terms of how people are (compared to the south) but they don't love it in terms of what's available for work or what they get paid comparatively (which sounds like they get paid less but cost of living is more expensive down here so it all kind of balances out). When I've visited family up north, it's genuinely not somewhere I feel I'd fit in and be comfortable. I could see myself going to Scotland to Edinburgh or around there, but north of england just wouldn't fit me and my personality and I find I am DEFINITELY a southern England person - but AGAIN - I think that this may also vary depending on where you are from the US. My personal opinion based on experiences has been that where you're from/what you're used to in the US can really impact where you want to be within in the UK.

The rat race is definitely still real, BUT my personal experience is that we value holidays/time off more than in the US. My experience with the US work culture is that you don't really take sick days or days off for holiday without at least feeling guilty and it's not really encouraged. That and you really aren't given many days to take. Over here, I've rarely seen less than 22 annual leave days (minus bank holidays) given here with the average I've noticed being 25 days. That is at least double what I know most of my friends and family in the US get - but maybe times have changed (i've been here 9 years).

As KF said, don't expect travel to be cheap - especially with covid and brexit still being something we really feel BUT yes - it is easier. While I wouldn't say it's "cheap", I would agree that it'll be "cheaper" and more easy in terms of flight times and availability of flights to European/Asian destinations...but flights back to the US are also expensive. Pre-COVID we would go back once a year to visit my family and that was at least 2 weeks we'd have to take away from our holiday time elsewhere and it's never cheap (2 of us would usually cost around £1k give or take), so if you have friends and family you're leaving in the US, that is something that is worth considering.

I have to run to do something just now or else I'd probably ramble on a bit more, but hopefully this at least gave another perspective around how it can vary from person to person while both experiences are very valid :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab