Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ID.me (IRS)  (Read 2945 times)

• Liked: 45
ID.me (IRS)
« on: January 21, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »
I decided to bite the bullet and get signed up for an IRS account. You can only register through ID.me, which can also give access to the SSA - my Social Security account.
Everything went rather well until I got to the address stage, where you can only list U.S. Although I have a U.S. phone number, it’s VoIP so fraught with problems with regards automated text messages, especially from large companies. You may and remarkably so, enter a U.K number for 2FA that maybe used for text or calling verification. My U.S. number works fine to receive voice 2FA, however.
So… I got through the Biometrics ok and interestingly received automated texts with instructions on how to take the Biometrics selfie, but now stuck at the address. Checking the IRS help page, it says that international addresses can’t be used for ID.me, although they, the IRS have no issues with overseas users. I had decided to enter my last U.S. address, which the system had taken ok and then ventured onto the next stage of mobile phone verification which it failed as I have no U.S. plan and my credit files are locked anyhow. So, at this point the option to chat with a Trusted Referee via video call! Once I selected this a whole lot of other options came up, such as ID requirements, Passports, SS card W-2 1099 etc. of which you must upload and keep physically to show the examiner, (a very nice person too). Moving along up comes up an area, (just after where you enter Passport data) for your address, which amazingly has a drop-down list and from there you can put in a U.K address. It’s all pretty straight forward from there. A timer will come up letting you know the wait time, (I had about a 45-minute wait) and then an email link that once activated will open up a video call with the examiner. They ask that you hold up the documents that you submitted and within a couple of minutes of verification of your personal details, you’re done.
Logged into the IRS and behold all the great information and options they have for you. Check out your profile and elect digital/email and so on.
Hopefully those that have been put off by not being able to complete the verification due to no U.S. address (as I was) can now complete. It’s a long process though and I’d been on the task for about 4 hours, converting the specific .jpg from .pdf files and orientation etc., not to mention the long wait… All worth it in the end and they are 24/7.

• Liked: 718
Re: ID.me (IRS)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:50:56 PM »
Great info. I didn’t even know of the existence of an IRS account.

I’ll maybe give it try with all your useful info and tips.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:27:19 AM »
IRS will require taxpayers to sign up with ID.me to access their online accounts
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-id-me-tax-file-2022/

• Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 07:48:28 AM »
This is outrageous. We are being forced to share confidential biometric and personal information with some techbro company with a domain registered in Montenegro. The terms and conditions preclude you from pursuing a class action lawsuit against them when they inevitably suffer a security breach. US government runs its own identity verification system called login.gov. Why is this not being used? Of course, we all know the reason.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Concerns over privacy, practicality, and some skepticism on whether it will actually become mandatory by summer 2022.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »
I decided to bite the bullet and get signed up for an IRS account. You can only register through ID.me, which can also give access to the SSA - my Social Security account.
Everything went rather well until I got to the address stage, where you can only list U.S. Although I have a U.S. phone number, it’s VoIP so fraught with problems with regards automated text messages, especially from large companies. You may and remarkably so, enter a U.K number for 2FA that maybe used for text or calling verification. My U.S. number works fine to receive voice 2FA, however.
So… I got through the Biometrics ok and interestingly received automated texts with instructions on how to take the Biometrics selfie, but now stuck at the address. Checking the IRS help page, it says that international addresses can’t be used for ID.me, although they, the IRS have no issues with overseas users. I had decided to enter my last U.S. address, which the system had taken ok and then ventured onto the next stage of mobile phone verification which it failed as I have no U.S. plan and my credit files are locked anyhow. So, at this point the option to chat with a Trusted Referee via video call! Once I selected this a whole lot of other options came up, such as ID requirements, Passports, SS card W-2 1099 etc. of which you must upload and keep physically to show the examiner, (a very nice person too). Moving along up comes up an area, (just after where you enter Passport data) for your address, which amazingly has a drop-down list and from there you can put in a U.K address. It’s all pretty straight forward from there. A timer will come up letting you know the wait time, (I had about a 45-minute wait) and then an email link that once activated will open up a video call with the examiner. They ask that you hold up the documents that you submitted and within a couple of minutes of verification of your personal details, you’re done.
Logged into the IRS and behold all the great information and options they have for you. Check out your profile and elect digital/email and so on.
Hopefully those that have been put off by not being able to complete the verification due to no U.S. address (as I was) can now complete. It’s a long process though and I’d been on the task for about 4 hours, converting the specific .jpg from .pdf files and orientation etc., not to mention the long wait… All worth it in the end and they are 24/7.

Thanks for this barcrest, however I'm now at the stage where I have to enter a phone number too and I see no option to chat to an advisor. It is either enter a number to make "Continue" highlight or go "Back"...

Thanks

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
Once you have entered your mobile phone number you will then be directed to your address which must be Stateside. I can’t recall the precise process as there’s many. Anyhow once you enter any old U.S. address, (perhaps your previous or a friends), the system will fail. Then there’s options for verification via referee will show up. You’ll need passport DL and W-2 or 1099 etc, although those options will appear. You need to scan as .jpg as they won’t allow an upload of .pdf. You can’t choose this referee option , rather you need to ‘fail’ the process for this stage to enable. Hope this helps.

Oh one other thing. SSA accounts have been updated today and notifications have been sent, (received mine today) the agent will ask what agencies you’d like for id.ME. You can add the SSA if you don’t have an existing account via SSA, (the SSA account information will not retire).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:44:45 PM by Barcrest »

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 02:06:05 PM »
Thanks Barcrest, the wrong address didn't work but a made  up phone number did it eventually...

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 03:04:54 PM »
Thanks again, Barcrest. I managed to go through the Live assistant and get verified with my PP and SS card. Now have access to my details through IRS!

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 07:56:37 PM »
Thanks again, Barcrest. I managed to go through the Live assistant and get verified with my PP and SS card. Now have access to my details through IRS!

I think they must use AI on the question set, so failure, (or success for us overseas) will pop up at various points along the application process. Pleased it all worked out for you though... -)

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »
Thanks Barcrest, I have just gone through the whole process including video referee.  It was certainly a relief to get logged onto my IRS account and see that last year's return (2020) has been processed okay.  I had to file by paper and forgot to include copies of my W2 and 1099-R so had to send them in by post as well, but you never hear back.  In the request for documents they had also asked for forms applicable only to Foreign people so I included a copy of our US passports.  I had a $2k refund due which I had marked as being applied to the 2021 estimated payments so it was good to see that had been done.

As you say, a tortuous process getting set up.  Even though 2FA apparently accepts a UK number and the drop-down country to get the code worked, the site would not accept less than 10 digits, so even putting a zero in front of my mobile number did not work.  Instead I opted for the ID.me authenticator app which I downloaded and set up easily enough from the App store.

One thing I have always liked about the HMRC site is the ability to view my return, see what is owed, and pay estimated taxes and taxes owed directly on the site.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 07:58:00 PM »
Thanks Barcrest, I have just gone through the whole process including video referee.  It was certainly a relief to get logged onto my IRS account and see that last year's return (2020) has been processed okay.  I had to file by paper and forgot to include copies of my W2 and 1099-R so had to send them in by post as well, but you never hear back.  In the request for documents they had also asked for forms applicable only to Foreign people so I included a copy of our US passports.  I had a $2k refund due which I had marked as being applied to the 2021 estimated payments so it was good to see that had been done.

As you say, a tortuous process getting set up.  Even though 2FA apparently accepts a UK number and the drop-down country to get the code worked, the site would not accept less than 10 digits, so even putting a zero in front of my mobile number did not work.  Instead I opted for the ID.me authenticator app which I downloaded and set up easily enough from the App store.

One thing I have always liked about the HMRC site is the ability to view my return, see what is owed, and pay estimated taxes and taxes owed directly on the site.

Now that you have the authenticator app all set up, go back to:
https://account.id.me/signin/security
If you then add 'Text Message or Phone Call' you may at this point type in a U.K mobile number with a leading '0'. You'll have the required 11 digits then. I have my U.S. number, U.K. number and authenticator app as available options for 2FA. The drop down adds the '+44', so no need to do anything else.

Good to see what's going on with your IRS account and the clarifications. All rather demystifying for me looking at the multitude of records for the past 10 years that they hold

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 09:50:23 PM »
Now that you have the authenticator app all set up, go back to:
https://account.id.me/signin/security
If you then add 'Text Message or Phone Call' you may at this point type in a U.K mobile number with a leading '0'. You'll have the required 11 digits then. I have my U.S. number, U.K. number and authenticator app as available options for 2FA. The drop down adds the '+44', so no need to do anything else.

Good to see what's going on with your IRS account and the clarifications. All rather demystifying for me looking at the multitude of records for the past 10 years that they hold

Thanks again, I’ll try this tomorrow.

• Liked: 55
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
If you've looked at the You Tube Video above posted by @Alan  there's reference to a US Government analytics site showing live data - I have to say it is very impressive, even if it has 'Big Brother' connotations.

have a look at this:

https://analytics.usa.gov/treasury/

It's live data and on the visit I just had it even shows that  of the 8,299 visitors to the Department of Treasury 1.4% are from the UK:

Certainly worth a look.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 11:55:43 AM »
If you've looked at the You Tube Video above posted by @Alan  there's reference to a US Government analytics site showing live data - I have to say it is very impressive, even if it has 'Big Brother' connotations.

have a look at this:

https://analytics.usa.gov/treasury/

It's live data and on the visit I just had it even shows that  of the 8,299 visitors to the Department of Treasury 1.4% are from the UK:

Certainly worth a look.

That is excellent.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab