Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Timeframe to receive child passport (renewal)  (Read 1121 times)

• Liked: 27
Timeframe to receive child passport (renewal)
« on: February 04, 2022, 08:44:32 AM »
We currently have an appointment to renew my daughter's child passport on 24th February in Edinburgh.

Last night, we found out that my dad has pancreatic cancer and whilst 'okay' likely doesn't have a year left to live.  This is all a total shock and we've not seen them since December 2019, so want to try all go back at Easter.

I don't want to jump the gun and buy plane tickets for whole family but is it likely she could get her passport back in that timeframe? I think it's around 6 weeks.  I also don't want to wait for an emergency appt as want to get wheels in motion.

Appreciate any advice here would be anecdotal but wondered if anyone had done this recently.

Thank you!
Katherine

• Liked: 57
Re: Timeframe to receive child passport (renewal)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

I am wondering the same about wait times, for different reasons.

Does your child have dual citizenship? If so one thing I considered when we couldn't get an embassy appointment: fly back in half term when people are still allowed to enter on expired passports (through March), renew child's passport while in the US using my parents' address (they live in a small town that has loads of appointments available), child flies back on the UK passport, parents fed-ex the passport back to the UK for us when it's ready. I imagine you don't want to burden your parents with that. But it might be an option if you're desperate or plan to be in the US for a few weeks?!

Good luck with everything!
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
Moved to the UK July 2017
FLR(M) June 2020
ILR November 2022

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »
Thank you very much!

Yes, my daughter is a dual citizen-we actually need to renew both passports! I think you could possibly do what you suggest. 

With regards to the timeframe update: Our appointment was on 8 February (in Edinburgh-we were in/out within 5 minutes!) and when I checked yesterday at: https://passportstatus.state.gov/  it said it was already mailed on 9 February! So I'm hoping that's correct and will soon be coming back to us via the Royal Mail special delivery!

When we were there we were offered an emergency passport but opted to wait-they said this will take around 2 weeks.  Once I'll know, I'll post back on here! I had forgotten that we need to her USA passport to renew the UK one but will do that next.  Luckily, have an office to renew in person where we live, so hopefully not too much longer.

Good luck to you, too!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 09:25:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. That's good to know.

We had to renew both passports this year for my daughter, too. When this new one is done she'll have 5 passports in 10 years, only one of which has ever been stamped! I can't dwell on it too much or I'll want to pull my hair out.
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
FLR(M) June 2020
ILR November 2022

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 03:22:38 PM »
Just to update you on this thread, too-we got her passport today.  Trip to Edinburgh on the 8th February, in my hands on the 16th February.  So if you can get an appointment, seems like they are pretty fast!

I was told likely by w/b 28 February.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 10:05:15 AM »
Thanks, good to know! We did our appointment at the London embassy this week and they said 2-3 weeks. 
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
FLR(M) June 2020
ILR November 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab