Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Best UK cities to visit/live in  (Read 3826 times)

Re: Best UK cities to visit/live in
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 08:47:26 AM »
Quit being a punk.

Ah, you didnt like my hair style with the top dyed red, eh?  ;D  Besides, I'd like to think of myself more as a Bad Boy (see icon & descrp left)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 09:53:25 AM by merouby »

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 09:14:31 PM »
BAck to the original topic - my favorite city BY FAR so far is Ely, in Cambridgeshire. It's where David & I lived when we first got here, and I've missed it desperately ever since we left. It's got a gorgeous cathedral, river, pubs, parks, rail station, Tesco Extra, and everything is within walking distance. I walked everywhere - groceries and all. It's 10 minutes to Cambridge by train (which is awesome in itself) so you get big city coolness, but it's also nestled in a cluster of other small farming communities. Lot of local history as well, since it used to be an island - it's part of the Fens that got drained a squillion years ago by the Dutch - it's gorgeous driving through the Fens and seeing the Ely "island" pop up in the horizon. Loved it loved it loved it.  
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2003, 02:32:21 AM »
York is gorgeous. There's so much history in that little city. York Minster was better than Notre Dame.

I really fell in love with that city.

I live in York; I agree.  It's nice, but unfortunately it's in England, and I'm not sure if I want to live in England anymore.
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2003, 02:33:59 AM »
IMO, stay away from Hull & Leeds....armpits compared to the rest of the UK.  Let the flaming begin!

I agree with you re Hull, but Leeds is not that bad.  London's more of an armpit in my opinion; it's a matter of taste.
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2003, 09:41:30 PM »
To visit,
York. Definitely impressive. Best 'day out' in England I've ever had.
I loved Salisbury. I would live in the Cathedral if I could.
Canterbury, not so much. It's not bad, but maybe my expectations were too high.
Brighton is cute, good veggie restaurants!
And there's a tiny village in South Yorkshire called Greasborough that has a lovely dam to walk around.

And I live in london. A city even vaster than New York.
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2003, 06:09:17 PM »
To visit:  Hastings

We just spent a weekend in the Rye/Hastings area and had a great time.  Rye is nice-good fish and chip shop on the round-about. Also the best beach we've been to in the UK, at Camber Sands-good food, shops, lot's of sand, not too crowded, clean beach and water.

We spent two days in Hastings.  The shopping bit was OK-could be better.  The second day we spent at the sea side end-there's a good Undersea World, two little musuems-shipwrecks and fishing that were interesting.  There are two little cliff side railways which are a must do.  Also at the top of the west-side railway is Smugglers Adventure-an attraction all about the smugglers in Hastings.  It's in the caves that they used-very cool and extremely interesting.  
We also had lunch one day at 'the Italian Way'-a very good Italian resturant and one day at 'The Mermaid' which was seriously the best fish and chip shop we've ever tried.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 06:09:54 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

Sponsored Links