Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HELP!!!  Leaving this week...need shipping advice!  (Read 1551 times)

• Leaving the UK on SATURDAY! (8/16)
  • Liked: 0
HELP!!!  Leaving this week...need shipping advice!
« on: August 13, 2002, 08:26:32 PM »
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/size]

We are leaving on Sunday.  We are packing our suitcases to the brim to bring with us for free on the plane.  But we have to send some linens and misc stuff over after we get there.  So far we have looked at prices with UPS and the post office and they seem REALLY REALLY expensive (like $200-300 for one box!!)  

Does anyone know of any other EASY and CHEAP way to ship stuff over?  Just some smaller boxes?

My mother-in-law is going to be responsible for the shipping of this stuff after we have left and I don't want to leave her with anything too complicated...if you know what I mean! ;)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Jessica~

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: HELP!!!  Leaving this week...need shipping adv
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 08:35:48 PM »
First off, don't panic.  ;D
My vote would be to take it out of your MIL's responsibility. Can she store them for you? Then next time you're back, you bring them with you in an empty suitcase you've brought back to fill with the "next load". You can make do with some inexpensive linens bought at a charity shop (used items) if you need something to make-do-with until then.

The way I see it, you really only need the clothes you come in with, a plane ticket and a passport, and yourself of ocurse. The rest is just "stuff".

Don't panic!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Leaving the UK on SATURDAY! (8/16)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 01:25:15 AM »
Well, that scenario would be ideal, but we are not coming back for the whole year.  So, she does have to send us this stuff.  And I do want to have my personal belongings shipped, regardless if it is just "stuff."  Some of these things we just can't do without.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to shipping COMPANIES...that is really more what I am looking for.  Thanks!!
~Jessica~

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 02:29:15 PM »
There are some shipping companies listed on the website,
http://www.uk-yankee.com/shipping.html

I haven't yet shipped my belongings over, they've been in storage for 3 years.  :( Sorry I can't help more. Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 07:01:23 PM »
Some airlines will give you bargain prices, though your boxes would not travel with you and you would have to make another trip to the airport to collect them.  I'm not sure about the prices, but they seemed reasonable (around the same as ups).  They do have restrictions and regulations and I don't know that all airlines have this.  Won't hurt to give them a call.
GOOD LUCK!
~Gina~

Sponsored Links