Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just curious  (Read 1905 times)

• My home page
  • Liked: 0
Just curious
« on: September 18, 2002, 07:39:29 AM »
I know that this will probably sound really strange but since we will be moving in 9 months I have begun to think about what things will be available.  At the moment I know I could probably ask my mother in law but I asked her about tabasco sauce and she no they don't have it in the UK and when I was in Tescos in June...there it was  :-/

So I was curious if I will be able to find bologna, hotdogs/turkeydogs (not the jarred ones I've seen but like in the US), peanut butter, grape jelly, popcorn, marshmallows...and on the non food related....tupperware and ziplocks?  

Can you tell I have kids by the type of food.... :D

I am guessing that you probably can get ziplocks and tupperware but those are two things my mother in law always take back with her because again...she can't get them in the UK  :-/

Thanks,

Kathy
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 10:13:32 AM »
Morning KT............. Yes, you can find hot dogs in the cold meat section here - my local ASDA has them.  Sorry, haven't seen turkey dogs.  No bologna, but they have this stuff in the deli section called pologna - sort of like bologna but it's not as good, I found it disgusting actually - what I wouldn't give for somd Oscar Mayer!  Yes there is peanut butter, but it's not the same, never seen grape jelly, but perhaps blackcurrant would be a good substitute.  popcorn - yes, it's here.  baby marshmallows yes.  ziplocks are here as well.  As for tupperware, it may not be called Tupperware here, but they have plenty of storage containers that work just as well!  You can also order american food from the web...........
Malissa
Ce que diable ne peut, femme le faire!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 10:37:50 AM »
You are going to find that kids eat different things here. And some can be very stubborn about what they do eat. That fact came as an utter disappointment to me when I thought I would share my very best (and very hoarded) American food products with a group of 10 teen girls at a sleepover, because I thought it would be cool to show them what a typical American slumber party was like. I mean, they all watch "Buffy" for goodness sake!

Wrong.

Tell me why any kid would choose bangers over American hotdogs. Or curl their noses in disgust over peanut butter and jelly ("jam" here, their "jelly" is our "Jello").

Your kids are different because they grew up eating this stuff. But I will wager they will "cross over to the dark side" simply because 1) they are more adaptable, 2) they are more peer-pressure-able and 3) they won't want to look different or out of place.

Now, to answer your question...  ;D

I buy "American-style Hotdogs" at Tesco and they are pretty close. But you may have a time finding them because they aren't with sausages and there usually only tends to be about one or two packs each time. And I have had to reach my hand in blindly to pull one pack out because it was tucked waaaaay in the back. At my store they are near the boxed multi-packs of Indian takeaways, under the couscous salad. BTW, the hot dog rolls are the best here. Far superior, but the dogs come in packs of four and the rolls come in packs of six...some traditions never change.

Bologna and turkey dogs...good luck. I'm not saying "no" only because someone may have their finger on a stronger pulse than I. I have found mortadella, so if you can convince the white spots are just cool decoration, you may have a substitute...at designer prices. Just keep them away from this web site:
http://qn.quotidiano.net/chan/food_wine:2322603:/2002/01/18:

Peanut butter. You may find some in the "Forgeign foods" section. I seem to recall seeing Jif. I am a Skippy person myself, so my sister brought over a H U G E jar she picked up at Costco before she came to visit. You're actually welcome to have it; never opened and I don't go through it quickly, still using a jar I got a year ago. I think she did it as more a joke...it is huge.

Don't expect to find grape anything (being replaced by black currents, and is hardly a subsititute). There certainly isn't grape jelly (nor my fave, apple). You will find cans of grape pop/soda in Caribbean shops (we have a Jamaican take-away here in town). They do have a white grape juice in grocery stores, but...the flavor seems off to me, not the same.

Popcorn, no problem, even the salty microwave stuff. You'll find the popcorn of choice here is sugared (sweet) so be sure to read the label. No specialty "movietime" or extra-butter stuff, though.

Marshmellows, I've seen the mini ones, but not the big ones. No Tupperware brand, but products doing the same stuff, yes. Not Ziplock brand, not with the closure mechanism that slides across, but yes those pinch/pull ones that seal shut.

Having said all this...these are the comments I make for general grocery shopping. All is not lost  ;D There are some mail order places that specialize in American products and carry the items in the brands you've mentioned. Leah has excellent links from this site. I happen to live in the town where one mail order place has a "showroom", Made in America, so for me, it's a walk into town (not open on weekends). The stock sometimes rotates, so if you don't see it now, if could be next week.

You will be happy to learn that McDonald's, Burger King and KFC are all over the place (and Subway getting there too).

Sainsbury's has outdone itself by offering a kid's line of products called "Parrot". If your kids are teens, they probably won't be pulled. It's the packaging they've done to make foods-good-for-you look fun.

I will add a personal feeling that may give you some comfort. Others are welcome to disagree because I have no scientific proof of this. I believe the food here is healthier, especially the prepared foods. Not an enormous amount of additives. Not a lot of preservatives. Local butchers are everywhere for the freshest of natural meats. Many people grow their own fruits and vegies and sell surplus on the side of the road. Organic farming is big here, as well as free-range. I'd say this country is a great place to feed kids, and maybe American products should be phased out for them. A good friend of mine worked at Oscar Meyer and to this day she will not even touch a hot dog ("You don't want to know what goes in to them!").

Food for thought.  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 10:40:58 AM »
[smiley=laugh.gif]
Malissa writes faster than I do. Appears we were answering at the same time. She said the same stuff (whew) in much shorter space.

Malissa, if you're reading this, I want your brisket recipe ! ! ! !
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 06:07:01 PM »
There is a peanut here in the American style, Sun-pat (Nestle) Creamy Smooth. Very good.

Canned hotdogs, disgusting, don't even go there. We get packs of Herta smoked Frankfurters, they're nice enough.

No grape anything is about to change, maybe temporarily, I saw an advert for Welch's Grape juice on TV the other night, I nearly pooed myself. Someone's got it I hope. :) Hubby said, who'd want grape juice? ::)

My children did alright with Blackcurrant Jam as a substitute for Grape jelly. Very similar taste.

My mother-in-law has tupperware, though I'm not sure how to get it.... oh look, www.tupperware.co.uk

I saw buttered microwave popcorn (Act II?) at tesco's once, we don't have a microwave so..

Depends a lot on where you live. :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2002, 07:21:44 PM »
well i think everyone has covered everything for u, lol. being a mom of three very american lil kids, lol...i can tell ya they will adjust.  i think the first few months i heard nothing but...wheres the (kraft) mac-n-cheese.  my mom was shippin it over here all the time.  we finally found it locally (under a diff name, of course).  but now that we can get it they dont want it as often and whenever their friends come over thats the last thing they want me to fix, lol.  i still have grape jelly shipped over...sorry we can do the blackcurrent thing.  kids like the pologna and the herta hot dogs.  when i went back to the states for a three week visit...i bet i ate an oscar mayer bologna sandwhich and dill pickles everyday, lol.  those are two things i think i persoanlly miss most, lol.   oh and i forgot to add....i love welches grape juice...i buy it all the time from tesco.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2002, 07:24:06 PM by ItsBcoz »
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 10:10:01 PM »
Not sure if it is a national chain or not, but Morrisons carries their own brand of white and red grape juice.  I have also found Welches at Tescos and I live in boonsville, so it must be fairly common.  :D
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• having one of those days...
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2002, 10:14:05 PM »
no, your question doesn't sound strange at all!

to add to the others:

i buy a giant jar of skippy peanut butter at costco.  luckily, hubby likes it as much as i do :)

haven't seen grape jelly here, but i use blackberry (bramble) jelly, it's on the sweet side so it's not a bad substitute for me.

also at costco, i buy ziplock bags.  only problem is that they sell it in a huge box with all sizes. some sizes get used faster than others :)  then i 'top up' with the other brand at the local supermarket.

i have also seen the bigger size marshmallows at tesco, but not the miniature ones.  i don't eat marshmallows much but hubby says they are the same taste as in the states.

hope this helps!

*:)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• My home page
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2002, 10:28:03 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old and my 4 yr old lives on PB&J or "hot dog rollups" as we call bologna rolled up with some american cheese in the middle!  I know that they will adapt more easily than I think especially the 1 year old but there is just something about my kids not having a PB&J in their lunchbox...deep sigh but just a minor thing.  I know that my husband is looking forward to introducing our kids to some of his childhood favorites like "chip buddies" as I understand it a french fry sandwich...sounds gross, steak and kidney pie...don't even get me started on what that smells like to me, squash...I personally prefer Vimto...so my kids should have a pretty varied diet!  

Again thanks for the answers I'm sure I'll have some more strange onces in the coming months but my excitement is growing!  And since I have been speeking of my kids and the proud mommy that I am thought I would tell you I recently change web page providers so I just put up a recent picture of "the boys" and hopefully am going to document the move in pictures.

Take care,

Kathy
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2002, 02:32:08 AM »
looks like things have been covered but i will add my two cents as far as the bologna by far  mortadella taste just like bologna no joke.. and i agree with LisaE because stuff here are soo much healthier!! when i first came over the pounds came off no joke and its so much easier to stay healthy
things in america are too high in fat here its half the fat! now thats yet another reason why i like it here!
and as far as peanut butter there are places online to get stuff i just bought some american stuff myself(cant wait to get them) and i got fluffy that marshmellow white stuff.. you would be surpirsed what i have found compared to when i first came over! and ya can even write to these companys that are selling the american food and ask them for products and ya never know they may get them..  :D

Sponsored Links