Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Chocolate cake recipe  (Read 1510 times)

• Maine to London
  • Liked: 0
Chocolate cake recipe
« on: October 16, 2002, 10:35:41 AM »
Hubby's birthday is this weekend and I would love to bake a chocolate cake, help! :o  Does anyone have any easy chocolate cake recipe?  Also, where can I find cake tins?  
Thanks everybody!
expat
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• Liked: 2
Re: Chocolate cake recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 04:45:16 PM »

I'm a big cake baker but I have to tell you that I find something very different about the flour here. All cakes I make tend to be tougher and flatter than what I used to create from scratch in the states. They're still okay but they are nowhere near as good as a cake mix. My sincere advice to you is to get down to your big supermarket and pick up a box of Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix.  :o They really are very good and most all the big supermarkets carry them. Maybe someone else will have the winning recipe but believe me, I have tried dozens of chocolate cake recipes and I am convinced it is down to how the flour is milled over here....

Cake tins you can actually get at the supermarket as well in the cookware section. If not, head to your local Woolworth's where they always have them but 9" tins tend to be harder to find.

Do keep us posted on how it turns out.....
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Maine to London
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 04:53:37 PM »
Thanks hopster, I am heading to sainsburys then woolworths right now.   ;)
expat

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 05:43:09 PM »
I don't know if either of you have heard this, the 'strong flour' in the UK is the equilivant to the normal flour you would buy in the states.  'Plain flour' is the same as cake flour in the states.  I have made several cakes recently with strong flour and not had any problems.  

Also remember that you need to increase the amount of baking poweder.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 07:55:40 PM »
I'd not heard about the strong flour being the same as plain flour in the states. Hmmm. Would you know how much to increase the baking powder? I'm always willing to try anything new for the sake of a good cake!
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Maine to London
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 08:36:30 PM »
Just returned from my trip to Sainsburys and now have in hand the following items:

2 7" sandwich pans (why do they call them that?)
Cadbury flake cake mix (can't go wrong with Cadbury ;))
candles

I am all set, thanks for the suggestion hopster.  Had I attempted to bake I just know I would have been so stressed that I would have ruined my poor hubby's birthday!  Measuring differences with baking power, plain flour, strong flour . . . STOP THE MADNESS!   :-[

expat

• Tomorrows another day!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2002, 12:18:18 AM »
Hi if you are ever stuck for pots/pans and or baking utensils, Wilkinsons usually has a good selection as well.

I have found that they usually have what I am looking for when I have looked everywhere else first! ;)
Welcome to Maine - The way life should be!

• Maine to London
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2002, 03:18:23 PM »
thanks for the tip Liza! ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab