Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Monterey Jack at Tesco!  (Read 9977 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Monterey Jack at Tesco!
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
I was so surprised to find it there, but very happy! I think someone else posted recently that they found it at Co-op, so perhaps it'll be everywhere before too long.

It was at the deli with the 'real' cheeses, not in the cheese/butter/etc section. And guess where it's made? North Wales! I had a laugh about that. Oh, and they spelled it Monteray. But still, it was nice to see.

I just tasted a bit, and I honestly don't think it's all that great. I think I've completely forgotten what American Monterey Jack tastes like, so I can't really compare properly. It's very mild, and I prefer a sharper cheese.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Monterey Jack at Tesco!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
Monterey Jack usually is pretty mild, and IMO - not too flavoursome.  But sometimes it's nice if you want mild cheese in a dish not overpowered with sharp cheesy flavour.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »
I like it for certain things because it melts well and has more flavor than mozzarella. I've been seeing these orange and black packages of it, sliced, at Lidl and Asda.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
Very important for Tex-Mex!
September 2009: Tier 1 visa
April 2011: Married
March 2012: FLR(M)
February 2012: SET(M) application submitted

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
I got a bag of the orange and black shredded stuff this weekend.  I was THRILLED to see it as it was the first time I'd seen any here.  I have not tried it yet, but I'm so happy I LOVE it!!!  Perfect for Mexican dishes, so much better then the stuff I'd bought before which pretty much sucked :-\\\\ (Mild cheddar, I don't like sharp)

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »

It was at the deli with the 'real' cheeses, not in the cheese/butter/etc section. And guess where it's made? North Wales! I had a laugh about that. Oh, and they spelled it Monteray. But still, it was nice to see.

"From an authentic American recipe" is what I was reading on some of the label on the cheese itself...we've been buying it in the deli section of one of our bigger Tescos for the last couple of years, although it's been a while since I've bought any...now I'm going to have to go buy some...I like mild cheeses, but I think I could shred this up with Double Gloucester and call it CoJack (Colby/Monterey Jack).
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Snaps
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
I like it for certain things because it melts well and has more flavor than mozzarella. I've been seeing these orange and black packages of it, sliced, at Lidl and Asda.

This isn't sliced, though. It's just in nice big blocks.

I like mild cheeses, but I think I could shred this up with Double Gloucester and call it CoJack (Colby/Monterey Jack).

I like that! Kojak!  ;D

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
You can actually buy it like that in Wisconsin (and probably other places too) 'marbled' together, but I can't remember if it was called CoJack (or Kojak!), or if that's just what we called it...

• Snaps
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
You can actually buy it like that in Wisconsin (and probably other places too) 'marbled' together, but I can't remember if it was called CoJack (or Kojak!), or if that's just what we called it...

Really? I thought you just made that up very cleverly!  :)

• Superdork!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »
I got some of this the other day and I was surprised that it was sooo mild. I don't remember it being quite like that, but then again I prefer pepper jack. I hope they start selling that!

I've had that before, I think it was just called colby jack. Very nice.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
Yeah, we used to get it at our larger Tescos but then they all stopped carrying it! I loved that it was from Wales!

It's ideal for Mexican style dishes where you don't want the sharp tang of cheddar to compete with the other spices, plus it's not as greasy as cheddar when it melts. I'd never eat it plain on crackers, though. That's when I want a good, strong cheese!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
Really? I thought you just made that up very cleverly!  :)

LOL, I'm not that clever, believe me.  :)  I think caligurl is right, it was called colby jack, but somewhere along the line (at least in my neck of the Wisconsin woods), it picked up that nickname...I want some! 

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »

Isn't that ColbyJack?

ETA: Oops, apparently so!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:55:35 PM by Twistedncynical »
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Snaps
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
Well, I guess I'm the only one who'd never seen Monterey Jack at Tesco! Still, it was news to me!  :)

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 04:02:54 AM »
Well, I guess I'm the only one who'd never seen Monterey Jack at Tesco! Still, it was news to me!  :)

Hey, it's news to me, too... and much appreciated! It is funny that it's made in Wales... but I guess that helps reduce its carbon footprint, right?

(Those ads on this site for big bottles of Frank's Hot Sauce available from some UK ebay store at huge cost make me laugh!)

Emily
September 2009: Tier 1 visa
April 2011: Married
March 2012: FLR(M)
February 2012: SET(M) application submitted

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab