Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sewing Machine on a Transformer?  (Read 3586 times)

• Liked: 0
Sewing Machine on a Transformer?
« on: May 06, 2003, 11:22:34 PM »
Okay - I've been lurking on this forum for quite awhile.  And now I've "come out" because I'm sure that the venerable Mr_Val, or some other savvy poster can address this question.

From what I read on your section on electronics, I'm afraid I already know the answer.  I was hoping to bring a small portable Singer sewing machine over with me, so I would at least have something to use to gussy up the new apartment if needed.  I imagine I'll be looking into UK sewing machines eventually, but I'd like to "faire des economies" to start.

How can I find out if the motor on the sewing machine is "synchronous" or "dc"?  Somehow, I suspect that running the 60hz machine at 50hz won't work.

So - any thoughts on this?
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

Re: Sewing Machine on a Transformer?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 05:43:59 AM »
When I was visiting this spring, I passed by a shop that had my same model machine in their window so I stopped in to ask if I could get mine bought in the US to work in the UK. He said if I brought in my machine, he would convert the power supply for me for  and that I'd have no problems with it.

It would be nice to think he's correct, as I love that machine and I don't think I could afford to replace it in the UK if I have to leave it behind.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 10:26:20 AM »
I have an antique electric sewing machine (okay, the fifties) built into a whole table. I love that thing and was very sad that I couldn't use it here. To my amazement, my mother-in-law had the same exact machine, almost the same year, but as a protable. I've borrowed that. But..that's not answering your question, which Missy did with some good advice. I just wanted to add that sewing machines here are first class, really nice. I know it may be a little more money, but you might want to consider just buying one instead of converting something that you may in the future have to convert back again.

But don't go the transformer route.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 05:29:14 PM »
Thanks to you both -

Lisa - I have an older machine, too, that I love.  I learned how to sew on my mother's Singer Featherweight that she had been given in the 50s.  Imagine my surprise to learn my mother-in-law had almost the same one - and she kindly passed it on to me!

But - I won't be taking that with me - I'll let my mother care for it during my absence.  The one I was thinking of bringing was another Singer portable that I acquired years ago.  Looks like I'll just wait and see what I might find there in London.

Cheers!
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 09:25:20 PM »
... I'm sure that the venerable Mr_Val, or some other savvy poster ......

You flatter me, :-[  but I'm sorry I have no direct experience of sewing machine motors, and while I think that you'd get it to work, I am not sure that it would work properly.  

If you are shipping a house full of stuff, and are really attached to the machine then it might be worth a punt to buy a small transfomer for a few dollars (try http://www.dvdoverseas.com, they have a good range, reasonably priced) and bring it with you to the UK.  

If you have a fairly modern machine it should also be easy enough to switch the motor for a 240V 50Hz one, and if you keep the US motor you could switch it back later if you needed to.  Though it wouldn't surprise if it would cost you nearly as much as buying a whole new machine in the UK. :(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2003, 09:25:54 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 03:32:16 AM »
The man quoted me approx 50 quid to swap out the power supply and put in one that would be UK friendly. That's on a computerized sewing machine though, no idea if it would be less for a regular machine.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 08:07:52 AM »
I did this the other way round - I brought a sewing machine from the U.K to the U.S and had it 're-wired' for the U.S, it it is a 1950's sewing machine too and has worked great ever since.  I checked it in as fragile luggage and will do the same when we move back to the U.K this summer.  Too bad I have to get it re-wired again !

• NYC to London. Must be a city thing.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 04:44:08 AM »
I'm finally digging into some of the older posts (there's too much on these forums! :))...

My quilting teacher said she had her machine swapped out electrically as some people are talking about. She explained how EASY it was for them to do it, and how expensive they charge for it (I don't remember details, but if you need assistance I can ask her when I am next in the shop). So make sure you shop around if that's the option you choose.  

I myself left my Brother in the care of my mother. (heh)

But alternately, you can find some sewing machines fairly reasonably priced. I know of a store where I got my now-beloved little Singer Featherweight, the envy of my quilting classmates for only 99 quid. But I've also seen some second-hand ones for very cheap (after I bought the Singer, of course!). For a while, my mom was trying to convince me to let her buy a small battery-operated one (my flat is small and space is important!) that I could use for small repairs -- it depends on what you need it for, really. If you want details on that (from a US supplier), I can find out more from her.

It really depends on whether you are very attached to your machine, or if you think you may be moving back to the States in the future, I guess. Personally, I would leave it behind and find other options here, especially if you're not all that sure you'll need it right away. Oh, I just thought of another option if you're just going to need the machine for a couple of things but you're not really sure, my quilt shop (of course, I mean the one I am most attached to! I don't own or anything wonderful like that.) rents out their workshop, with use of machine for some set hourly rate.

Good luck on your move. Feel free to email me (tricia AT electronjam DOT com) if I have babbled excessively but usefully and you have more questions!

Tricia
"You can wordify anything if you just verb it." -- Bucky, Get Fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 08:54:59 PM »
In the US to get mine rewired it was $25 and came with a new foot pedal.  My husband said it would be easy to re-wire but it was so cheap why bother?  I would guess if it's $ 25 then it would be £25 ?

Sponsored Links