Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long are first-time British passports currently taking to process?  (Read 1355 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Does anyone know how long British passports are currently taking to process?  How soon do they usually contact you about the passport interview.  I'll definitely use the passport check and send service.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
Re: How long are first-time British passports currently taking to process?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
Hey Andee
  Check out this thread:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=83272.0

For me, I applied on the 05 July, check and send.
I got my letter last Wednesday,I called to arrange my appointment, but because I am "rural" they couldn't make an appointment right then and it took them two days to call back.
Earliest I could get an appointment for interview via video conference was end of next week, but I need the passport ASAP for work travel, so I have spent almost 8 hours on the train today heading to Glasgow and back home to do it today. The lady was lovely though- commenting how I came such a long way and being a nice Weegie, (I love Glaswegians- they are always such friendly folks!) we had a great chat!
Could be up to another 10 days before I get my passport though.
I guess they are processing new applications by the normal team, and a special team handling anything with a backlog.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »
I submitted my application last week through Check & Send. I asked the clerk about processing times and she said that Check & Send have been told that their applications are not affected by the backlog and should be processed within the usual timeframes, i.e. six weeks for a new adult passport. Fingers crossed.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
I applied the week before Easter (can't remember the actual date) and was sent a letter on the 20th of May. I had my appointment on the 28th of May (although I could have gone the day before) and had my passport on the 30th. I'm pretty sure they make the passport before the interview so they can just release it to be couriered as soon as you pass your interview. It's really quick once you get your letter!
Student Visa- August 2009
Studied- September 2009-August 2010
Engaged- March 2010
Post-Study Work Visa- January 2011
Married in US- June 2011
Spouse Visa- September 2011
ILR (Solihull PEO)- 2nd September 2013
Apply for Citizenship (Oxford NCS)- 9th October 2013
Became a citizen- 20th January 2014!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:20:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Pb yours is the most recent one--and it took over a month to get the interview, but still all in all within the 6 to 8 week time frame from start to finish, I guess.  Fingers crossed...

Married October 2007

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »
Oops, I realised I sent my 26 June, Check and Send and got a text on the 02 July from HM passports saying it was received.

Anyways, I got my passport back yesterday (19 August). So 7 weeks processing total, but would have been slightly longer if I didn't speed up my interview process.

I am very happy to have my passports back in my hand, as I hated being so far away from family without a way to get back there if I needed to in an emergency.

Hope it all goes quick and smooth for you Andee.  
 :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:56:12 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »
One of the things I've been wondering about is are all first-time adult passport applicants required to attend an in-person interview or are interviews done on a random or case-by-case basis?

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
I have some promising news for recent applicants!  I submitted my application via the post office on 29 July. I got a text confirming receipt on 2 August. I just got home and my Interview letter, US Passport and naturalisation certificate had arrived in today's post.  I was able to call (after 6pm, even!) to schedule my interview in London for the middle of next week. The woman on the call was lovely, and told me that I could expect my passport within 7-10 days of a successful interview. She said they are pretty much through the backlog.

I hope this bodes well for the rest of you recent applicants.   ;D
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
I have some promising news for recent applicants!  I submitted my application via the post office on 29 July. I got a text confirming receipt on 2 August. I just got home and my Interview letter, US Passport and naturalisation certificate had arrived in today's post.  I was able to call (after 6pm, even!) to schedule my interview in London for the middle of next week. The woman on the call was lovely, and told me that I could expect my passport within 7-10 days of a successful interview. She said they are pretty much through the backlog.

I hope this bodes well for the rest of you recent applicants.   ;D
That was pretty fast!  Hoping mine is just as quick to come through...
Married October 2007

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Final update:  My passport interview was in London on Wednesday.  Came home today to find my passport had arrived in the post. In summary, my application was turned in on 29 July and passport received on 29 August. I am very pleased with my experience. All my interactions with HM Passport employees were positive. I am sure they had a rough summer, but they were all very pleasant.   Wishing you all a speedy process as well.  ;D
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
So Karrit, that was just over two weeks from getting the confirmation to getting your documents back and the interview letter.  So I've got about a week to go until mine arrives.

One of the things I've been wondering about is are all first-time adult passport applicants required to attend an in-person interview or are interviews done on a random or case-by-case basis?

You know, I assumed everyone was interviewed, but the man at the post office said not necessarily. 
Married October 2007

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
That's what I assumed too, but I'm wondering now if I'll be called.

As an FYI, I received a letter in the mail on Thursday asking for new passport photos because mine were not taken within the last month, which was true, so its my fault. I used extras I had taken for my naturalisation application. I had another set taken today and have sent them off. Lesson learned. Don't be cheap and read the directions more closely.

...and congratulations karrit!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:11:39 PM by jayvee »

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
I received my letter today about the interview, I have an appointment for next week.  I should then receive my passport within 7 to 10 days, yay!
Married October 2007

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »
I got my documents back today, one day after I received my letter for the interview.
Married October 2007

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »
Interview letter arrived and a card left yesterday. I assume the card is for the return parcel with my US passport and documents. Everything is set for next week. I booked my interview this morning for next Friday and re-arranged delivery of the parcel.

My application was received on 11 August, and if all goes well I should have my UK passport within the six weeks time frame. I too have found the passport process to be a positive experience.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab