Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: crap dental treatment  (Read 1816 times)

crap dental treatment
« on: December 15, 2005, 03:18:56 PM »
I had an emergancy appointment today with an NHS dentist because while I was pregnant,the baby took a lot of calcium out of my teeth,leaving my wizdom tooth decayed and leaving me in horrible pain.
 So I went in and he put a filling in it. No more then 30 minutes later,it fell out! Dale said not to go back and to make an appointment with a non-NHS dentist and pay for the lazer dental treatment because he said NHS dentists don't do a good job.
Has anyone else expieranced poor work from an NHS dentist?

• Liked: 0
Re: crap dental treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:25:49 PM »
my hubby had pretty bad work by nhs dentist some years ago. his teeth are horrible and he needs work but refuses to go back to nhs dentist.

sorry to hear of your woes - pretty sad that the filling falls out in the same day.

some people go to hungary for cheap dental ops - apparently they are very well trained and v inexpensive. doubt you'd want to do that, but shows the lenght some will go to..

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 03:33:25 PM »
yes...I haven't had a very good experience with our NHS dental practice regarding a filling and care for my twins.

If I were you I would go right back. Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 03:41:46 PM »
Our NHS dentist has been really good so far, touch wood.
Joanne

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 03:51:57 PM »
My dentist does both NHS and Private.  I have Insurance (Rich's job) so I use Private.  I think he is great.  I can't see him doing a worse job because it was NHS rather then Private though.  Can you try and find someone who does both?

Carly, maybe I can find out who my SIL uses for you?

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 03:52:58 PM »

Carly, maybe I can find out who my SIL uses for you?

yes please that'll be great. thanks ;D

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 03:53:58 PM »
yes please that'll be great. thanks ;D

Done, I will let you know As soon as I do!

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:54:45 PM »
EnglandsYank, sorry to hear about your dental experience.  :-\\\\

If you do go private, if you can call around for prices or maybe get a referral from someone who has used a private one. I say that because I had to visit a private dentist a few months ago (I have private insurance) and while the dentist was great and the office was posh.....I certainly paid for it out of pocket. I thought I was in Beverly Hills with the prices!  I later talked to some work colleagues about private dentists and they sounded a lot cheaper and did good work.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:20:15 PM »
Well done on FINDING an NHS dentist in the first place!!

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 05:27:01 PM »
Carly, my hubs is at the dentist right now.  Second appointment for an infected wisdom tooth.  First appt they gave him antibiotics and said come back if it still hurts!  My god.  So obviously its still infected, hes still in pain.  Ill let you know how it goes.  And hope you get yours taken care of very soon!  Tooth aches are the worst!  :\\\'(

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »
SO glad I'll be able to get Simon going to an American dentist soon!

He has pretty good teeth for a Brit.  ;)  But he does need to have them professionally cleaned more often.  I asked him if he was setting his appointment for before his visit here this month, and he said no, he's already been this year!!!   :o  I said I was shocked that his dentist only recommends once a year cleanings.  He was a bit offended, so I told him to consider what it would do to the NHS if everyone in the country decided to start going for routine cleanings TWICE a year instead of once!!  He said I had a point.  :)

We have some friends (a married couple) - both of them physicians, one private, one in NHS hospital.  He has HORRIBLE teeth!!!!  And he's only in his 30's!!!

Perhaps it's an American thing, but I don't think I'm obsessive about dental health - I just feel very strongly that you only get one set of teeth and if you don't take care of them you get what you ask for.  So many other physical problems can come from having bad teeth.  Why in the world do so many people just take them for granted - I'll never understand.

~Liza  (American Teeth Snob  ;D )
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »
I'm a floss slave, was introduced to it in my time in the states by all of my dentists. I've never once even heard the word 'floss' mentioned here. Just wondering if anyone else has??
Joanne

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 06:31:04 PM »
well, rich just got back from dentist.  it seems they put him on stronger antibiotics and told him to see the dentist AGAIN in the new year.  If hes still having problems, they will extract the tooth.  I think Ill be seeing my dentist one more time before I move over!!!!

hope you get rid of that tooth ache carly!  Ive never heard of a wisdom tooth getting a filling.  They most always get extracted when they start to cause problems...

• Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 07:24:16 PM »
Yes people floss here.  Yes people get their teeth cleaned here.  Yes people do look after their teeth here.  I am trying very hard to find a dentist for our family since we moved away from London and it is impossible.  No dentists in our area are taking new NHS patients and we can't really afford to go private being a family on one income, although I am sure that is what we will end up doing rather than all our teeth falling out.   I do not believe NHS dentists aren't as good as private ones. Many dentists have NHS and private patients in any case.  My parents used to go to a private dentist because their insurance covered it but the premiums kept going up so they switched to an NHS dentist and they like her better than the private guy.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 07:31:13 PM »
well, rich just got back from dentist.  it seems they put him on stronger antibiotics and told him to see the dentist AGAIN in the new year.  If hes still having problems, they will extract the tooth.  I think Ill be seeing my dentist one more time before I move over!!!!

hope you get rid of that tooth ache carly!  Ive never heard of a wisdom tooth getting a filling.  They most always get extracted when they start to cause problems...

I have had the same problems with a wisdom tooth that keeps getting infected. My proir dentist, on n.h.s. had said it's a problem to remove them, and they would rather keep treating the infection. However, since we have moved, and registered with another n.h.s. dentist, they have said they could remove it for me, especially as it gets infected once or twice a year.
Deb

'If it's too loud, you're too old!!'

' Regret the things you do, not the things you didn't'

http://debbiesmomentsintime.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links