Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: sciatica  (Read 1504 times)

sciatica
« on: December 15, 2005, 07:56:33 PM »
does anyone else here suffer from it?  (i was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and was put on strong pain killers, which don't really get rid of the pain anyway, just make my itch and sleepy) i'm seeing the GP tomorrow morning about it to discuss further options....

Re: sciatica
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:16:29 PM »
I have had problems with it for years. I highly recommend accupuncture. I personally think the pain killers are a really bad idea. It is just too easy to become addicted to them. I read once that back pain is the leading cause of perscrition drug dependency and abuse in the US.

I had back pain everyday for 4 years. Finally went to see an accupuncturist and 4 treatments later I woke my husband up in the middle of the night, as I had woken up and realized that I had not had  pain in my back all day.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:08:29 PM »
I have had problems with it for years. I highly recommend accupuncture. I personally think the pain killers are a really bad idea. It is just too easy to become addicted to them. I read once that back pain is the leading cause of perscrition drug dependency and abuse in the US.

I had back pain everyday for 4 years. Finally went to see an accupuncturist and 4 treatments later I woke my husband up in the middle of the night, as I had woken up and realized that I had not had  pain in my back all day.

Are you afraid of needles at all? I've heard accupuncture isn't painful but I am one of those people who get psyched out by needles and tends to pass out. I'd love to try that if it really works because I have been suffering from back pain for the past two years after an auto accident. Well, actually, the back pain didn't start until after I started seeing a chiropractor....nice. Anyway, I'd love to find something that works. I've given up on painkillers because they don't really seem to help much. I can't walk very far without my back killing me and I can't carry much without my back killing me. I'm 27 years old and I feel like an old lady. It sucks. :(

Lunar, I've suffered from sciatica too so I know your pain. I was shocked when I woke up one morning, stepped out of bed and had this horrible pain shoot from my back clear down to my toes and tears instantly pouring from my eyes. I couldn't walk for almost an entire day. I've had problems with it since but nothing as bad as that day, fortunately. I don't really have any advice. I was in physical therapy at the time so I went in the next day and had an extremely painful massage on my lower back. I still have problems with it from time to time and I just take painkillers and take it easy.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 10:42:31 PM »
i'm definitely NOT afraid of needles. i have 7 tattoos ;) 
i haven't looked into accupunture to be honest. i dont like taking painkillers, but if thats the relief i have at hand and with having an almost 18 month old toddler, well, im going to take them. i do now that being on a long waiting list is not going to work though and i fear that is what is going to happen when i see my GP tomorrow (hoping he refers me, well, if he doesn't suggest it, I WILL.) but this time of night, sitting hurts, getting comfortable to sleep hurts, walking hurts.

i should point out (though probably completely irrelevant, i was diagnosed over the phone only based on my symptoms), i have done research into sciatica and i had it when i was very pregnant too, so i remembered the pain...

i know what you mean, among_the_stars, i'm 29 and i'm falling apart! i have to carry my son and pick him up, thats part of daily life, but it sure as heck doesn't help my back at all!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:51:54 PM »
I'm the old lady of this group at only 34!

I could become the poster child for accupuncture . . . I so firmly believe in it. I injured my back 4 years ago and have lived with the pain since. It is not fun. I had done  everything . . . physical therapy of every sort. I would spend 1 hour in therapy and three days recovering from it, it hurt so bad. I actually have ligament damage, but also have problems with siatica as a result of such damage. The accupuncture did not hurt and was worth every penny. I still go and will hopefully be able to find someone in the UK to see once we are over.

Lunar, best of luck with your dr. appointment.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »
i wonder now about the cost of accupuncture....
and time length for it (as i have no one to watch my son during the day...)

will be something i look into though...

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 11:05:46 PM »
My treatments last about 45 minutes. I find it to be extremely relaxing, so it is 45 minutes that I really look forward to. I started going twice a week for the first month or so. Now I go every 6 weeks.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 11:40:51 PM »
Diflenic........i think or something like that.........

I get it everytime this time of year!!! to the point I can't walk or stand...last time I had to get a shot and stay flat in bed for a week...........

I was going to a Chiropractor for several weeks and was still hurting and the Dr. gave me that and after several days it was gone

Mine was a likkle brown pill

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 08:19:20 AM »
i had it whilst recovering from major knee surgery, as the injury/surgery made my muscles atrophy and put a lot of stress on my nerves and tendons.

i second accupuncture.  also, physiotherapy to build up the muscles in the leg.

it HURTS like a mutha!  you have my empathy.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 12:26:05 PM »

Lunar, let us know how you make out at the Drs. today.

I have had it twice and the 2nd time it was so bad I couldn't even put my foot straight when attempting to walk.

Sounds like those of us who have had it can really empathize with you!  :-\\\\

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 01:09:16 PM »
the GP rx'd me another prescription and told me that chiropractors are not covered on the NHS so he could not recommend me to one. the option i have on the NHS is to join the waiting list (currently 3-4 months for my area) for a physiotherapist.

so now i'm going to look into my options and see honestly which one will fit best for me (keeping in mind the financial and needing someone to look after my son aspects. so basically saturdays would be the only day that would work for me...)

but for now, i'm recovering from a small bout of food poisoning from last night..........

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 02:01:08 PM »
your not doing very good are you Lunar!!!

Bless your heart!!

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 02:08:01 PM »
i'm starting to think i need putting down, meshell!!

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »

Gosh that too....poor thing....hope you feel better soon!

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 02:24:14 PM »
Honestly Lunar I had the same thing so bad I was put to bed. Couldn't even get in and out of the tub...that rx the dr gave me had it fixed in a couple of days...I had been going to the chiropractor for about 3 weeks 2x a week and nothing was helping it.......helping their pocket book......

Sponsored Links