Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pro & Con between life in UK & US  (Read 55346 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Pro & Con between life in UK & US
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
A lot of people think UK'ers are rude. It's weird. I only say that because I am Canadian and I have found the rudest people on the planet are the majority of Americans and people 1st generation Asian (Vietnamese specifically). I say majority of Americans because I have spent time in the midwest, where a lot of good people reside. Friendly, courteous... I say it's because they are so close to Canada. ;)

I've been here 7 years and it never ceases to amaze me how self centered Americans are. The driving is atrocious. If someone cuts you off, and you just return the favor, watch them flip out.

Anyway I am not going to rant about my experiences in the US, but I can tell you that I don't see how it would be possible people in the UK to be ruder than people in Southern California.

« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
A lot of people think UK'ers are rude. It's weird. I only say that because I am Canadian and I have found the rudest people on the planet are the majority of Americans and people 1st generation Asian (Vietnamese specifically). I say majority of Americans because I have spent time in the midwest, where a lot of good people reside. Friendly, courteous... I say it's because they are so close to Canada. ;)

I've been here 7 years and it never ceases to amaze me how self centered Americans are. The driving is atrocious. If someone cuts you off, and you just return the favor, watch them flip out.

Anyway I am not going to rant about my experiences in the US, but I can tell you that I don't see how it would be possible people in the UK to be ruder than people in Southern California.

Making blanket statements about "the majority of Americans" on a site filled with Americans is hardly polite.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 1
« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »

To counter that, I don't live in South Cal. but I go down there every three months to see our doctor and my experience is different to yours. For example, when I'm on the freeway and people see my out of state plate they are always courteous in allowing me to change lanes even when the traffic is at a crawl. This is an assumption on my part.
I mean no offence but if I were you I would be very courteous when driving there.
I lived and drove there in 1963 and I know it can get tense.

« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »
I've always found Canadians to be extremely rude, especially while traveling, and you just gave me another reason as to why that would be true!  Thanks!

« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2011, 01:12:17 AM »
It's funny, a lot of people I've met in the UK who run B&B's say Americans are the most polite guests.  I've also heard that while people might think it's not particularly genuine that we always say "have a nice day," it's always lovely to hear nonetheless. 
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »
There are polite people all over the world and rude people all over the world. Rudeness knows no boundaries. Fortunately, in my experience, the polite people outnumber the rude ones.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »
You get what you give. Some people are also more attuned to body language, and so will react more to how you behave rather than just what words you say.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
The only pros about the US for me are:
Free drink refills,

IKEA does them here too  ;D
Maroon Passport Club!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
The only pros about the US for me are:
Free drink refills...

IKEA does them here too  ;D

Nandos too!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
And Harvester  :P

And Subway... and Pizza Hut :).

« Reply #371 on: January 31, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »
The only things I want refilled are coffee and unsweetened iced tea.   :)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:05 AM »
I think the free soft drink refills might have been my husband's favorite thing about the U.S.

Other than me, of course. :p

« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »
I agree!!! Especially about the crumpets. No wonder the Brits can drink so much - those things are a cure for hangovers! (Not that I would know, of course...)

You have to add squash to the list. Why can't they sell squash in the states? I found some at a Brit grocery for 10 dollars a litre bottle... meh. I guess when we go back to the States I am importing it myself.

UK
pro: history, less regulation, more grocery choice/better quality produce,  easy pace of life.....at least in the Cotswolds, the village pub, exceptional weekend trips, strong currency, traditions, rugby, Royal Ascot, London, the village store, countryside, access to vintage goods, political system that seems to be more connected to the local community, BBC news and crumpets.

con: rain, clouds, cheap kabab places, high petrol prices, motorbikes that cut you off, restuarants that have no service or table water, bad teeth, chavs, bus shelters with lots of baseball cap wearing chavs, moldy walls from months of rain, rude builders and grotty Slough

« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
We have frozen concentrate in the states and they don't have it here.  Maybe because fridges and freezers are smaller so it is easier to have squash that doesn't need to be refrigerated?

Also, the US has more powdered drink mix. 

But most squash is mostly sugar.  If you drink the lemon or orange stuff you might as well drink lemonade or orangeade or Kool-aid.   

Sponsored Links