Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Diets and Weight Loss  (Read 5291 times)

Re: Diets and Weight Loss
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »
Any of you have an recommendations on good exercise / weight loss dvds?

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
I love Davina's Super Body Workout dvd. There are two main sections - Super Fit and Super Sculpt. Super Fit is a kickboxing/aerobic type workout (it's pretty tough for me, but I am a smoker!), and Super Sculpt is a strength workout that incorporates cardio intervals. I love doing the Super Sculpt because I get cardio and strength training all at once. It's a flexible workout - it can be easy enough for a beginner, but challenging enough for the more advanced, so you can add more weight, etc., as you build up strength. You basically do squats and lunges while lifting weights, then do a 5 minute cardio interval, then do another set of squats and lifts. The music is pretty good, too! Also, there are extra workouts on there for abs, legs, and upper body so you can add one of those onto the end of the regular workout if you feel like doing a bit more. I think it's a great dvd and I have used it for months and months without really getting tired of it. The only equipment you need for it is a set of handweights (I got a fitbell set on Amazon for about £15, I think, for three different sets of weights.)
For something mellow, I like Dolphina's belly dance dvds. They are fun and do tone you up, but without making you all sweaty and gross.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
If you can get access, I really liked Jillian's 30 Day Shred (she's one of the trainers on the US Biggest Loser).  It's 25 minutes, and there are three levels of workouts.  It's pretty hard core.  At point point, in the Level One work out, she says "You probably feel like you are going to die right now!", and it was so true.  But in a good way.  It's two minute bursts of everything.  No rests for the whole 25 minutes, though.  I kind of thought the ab/weight portions were like resting, though.  At least you weren't doing pushups!

• Jewlz

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
If you can get access, I really liked Jillian's 30 Day Shred (she's one of the trainers on the US Biggest Loser).  It's 25 minutes, and there are three levels of workouts.  It's pretty hard core.  At point point, in the Level One work out, she says "You probably feel like you are going to die right now!", and it was so true.  But in a good way.  It's two minute bursts of everything.  No rests for the whole 25 minutes, though.  I kind of thought the ab/weight portions were like resting, though.  At least you weren't doing pushups!

I wanted to try this one but it is a Region 1 dvd, so it won't play on our dvd player. :( I could have used it with my iMac, but I think it would be hard to see what was going on since I don't have a super large monitor or anything.

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
Something I have always been curious about is what is a good frequency of exercise?  Is 30minutes, 3 times a week enough? I've heard 3 times a week so many times before but I fail to see how it could be beneficial.

Then again, I am sure anything is better than nothing.  I hate exercise. 

Count me in for this UKY diet weight loss thing... grrrr..

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
Something I have always been curious about is what is a good frequency of exercise?  Is 30minutes, 3 times a week enough? I've heard 3 times a week so many times before but I fail to see how it could be beneficial.

I hear 30 minutes a day, 5x a week just to keep healthy...that doesn't include for weight loss! 3x just doesn't sound enough  :-\\\\
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
Are you able to unlock your DVD player?  I was able to do that, I just googled looking for the codes online for the make/model.  It's usually a sequence you do with your remote.  that's how I watch the movies/dvds from home. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how much exercise is needed to lose weight.  I think it's definitely a combination.  I know on WW, I can lose without exercising if I stay on plan, although the losses are certainly boosted by moving around more.    When I exercise a ton, I also tend to eat a ton, so I stay pretty even. 

I think 4-5 times a week, around 45 minutes a session is fair. 

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
Right now I'm doing 3x per week, but it's an hour each and it's boot camp class, so fairly intense. And that doesn't include the walk to the class.  :-\\\\  On my days off of the class I walk a TON, but I don't really count that as exercise. It's just a bonus. When I was going to the gym I'd try to go every other day for at least an hour. Funny enough, I'm losing more weight with the boot camp, so it's clear I wasn't challenging myself at the gym. I'm definitely a class person.

When I first lost weight on WW I did Tae-Bo a few times a week. I really liked the original videos, but I'm not too keen on the newer versions he's made.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 05:45:19 PM »
We are starting a dance inspired DVD called Core Rhythms. It actually isn't dancing, but takes the very core movements of the big dances (rhumba, etc) and uses them to strengthen your core muscles. I need to strengthen these before I can consider anything else because I'll just hurt myself (after 2 c-sections, I ain't got no core nothing!).

I wanted to start WW but I didn't realize how expensive it is upfront. :(
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »
We are starting a dance inspired DVD called Core Rhythms. It actually isn't dancing, but takes the very core movements of the big dances (rhumba, etc) and uses them to strengthen your core muscles. I need to strengthen these before I can consider anything else because I'll just hurt myself (after 2 c-sections, I ain't got no core nothing!).

This is off topic but I sent you a PM Balmerhon.

On topic: I think that was my probl when going to gym... challenging one'sself.

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »

Jewlz has talked about Spark People which is a free weightloss website. You could give that one a try!

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
There's also a free website that I've used for about 6 months called FitDay.com.  It allows you to track all the calories you eat (you just enter the food and it puts the calories in for you automatically) and also add in any activity and it calculates the calories you burn.  If you put in your weight goal, it will tell you how many calories you need to eat each day and also how much weight you need to lose each week.  You can track your body measurements and your weight also.  I love it!  And it's free.

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »
There's also a free website that I've used for about 6 months called FitDay.com.  It allows you to track all the calories you eat (you just enter the food and it puts the calories in for you automatically) and also add in any activity and it calculates the calories you burn.  If you put in your weight goal, it will tell you how many calories you need to eat each day and also how much weight you need to lose each week.  You can track your body measurements and your weight also.  I love it!  And it's free.

I just signed up and from what Ive seen (in 5 minutes mind you) everything looks straightforward and easy to use.  \thanks for the site tip!

• Jewlz

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »

I think the amount of exercise depends on the type of exercise - cardio or strength training. 3 x a week for strength training is good because you give your muscles a chance to rest. But if you can push yourself to do cardio 4-5 times per week (a fast walk will do) for half an hour and avoid overeating, then that is good, too. I've had good results in my overall shape just by doing strength training alone and sticking with my diet (not a fan of cardio).

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
I think the amount of exercise depends on the type of exercise - cardio or strength training. 3 x a week for strength training is good because you give your muscles a chance to rest. But if you can push yourself to do cardio 4-5 times per week (a fast walk will do) for half an hour and avoid overeating, then that is good, too. I've had good results in my overall shape just by doing strength training alone and sticking with my diet (not a fan of cardio).

I actually do cardio 4 times a week at least 50 minutes of cardio & the rest of my routine is weights I usually do about hour 1/2 - 2 hours at the gym. I wasnt losing much weight but tonned up but I realised I was eating to big of portions is why I wasnt losing much weight also my PCOS doesnt help with my weight loss either.  ::)  :P

Sponsored Links